• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

BGO.C.D.: Slaying Goliath

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
Coulda. Woulda. Shoulda. Such has been the mantra of the Washington Redskins fan for years. The only predictable consistency of the burgundy and...

More...

nice read Boone.

" It’s true that being a Redskins fan has involved far more pain than pleasure over the past decade"

are you calling us masochists?

Oh we are definitely gluttons for punishment Al :)

Are the Packers really Goliath, a Goliath in the making, or a Goliath wannabe? I'm not convinced of their "Goliathhood" yet and stand somewhere between the two remaining choices.

The Colts. They have been a Goliath in the recent past, but are they maintaining that lofty status or is it a Goliath in decline? My feeling is that more games in 2010 are needed and then we will have a much better idea.

Green Bay missed a Super Bowl trip in 2007 losing to the Giants. The finished 11-5 last year, and but for a late Chicago FG would be undefeated this season. And they have one hell of a quarterback in Aaron Rodgers. The Colts have been to the playoffs 10 of the last 11 seasons (8 times in a row).

Compared to the Redskins, I think both these teams are definitely Goliath. We can agree to disagree.

Both the Colts and Packers have big weaknesses in their secondaries, and the Colts just have a weak defense in general. I think we can win, if we open up and show these teams what the Shanahanigan offense is all about; need to be aggressive. There will be no "holding on to win" 17-12 against these guys.

From the way this season has started I don't think you're going to see any teams that stand out as "Goliaths", at least not in the way the Colts, Saints and Vikings did last season. Here it is only 4 games in and the only unbeaten team left is the Kansas City Chiefs. Even the teams with 3-1 records have already had weaknesses exposed that opponents can exploit. 13 teams are at 2-2 right now. There are some, like the Jets, Falcons, Chargers, Steelers, Packers, Ravens and Patriots making early season runs at "better than the rest" status but even they look vulnerable to what might be called "second-tier" teams. And most of the 3-1 teams have had very close escapes already. Unless a few teams bust out by mid-season and go on 5 or 6 game streaks-not impossible, mind you-we could look at a major traffic jam for playoff spots come the last quarter of the season.

This season, so far, looks less like "good" teams versus "bad" teams and more like what team component match-ups look like.

Nice job Boone. The Packers don't scare me quite as much as the Colts. Manning will carve up our D like a Thanksgiving turkey because we likely won't have time to get pressure on him. Our only chance will be to keep the ball away from him. THAT can be done just like the Rams did it to us.

While I've already penciled in BOTH of these games as losses, it's very possibly we could play David and cut these giants down to size. I don't expect it but I certainly wouldn't be surprised.

Yes - but every year we hear how the Colts are finally falling back to the pack, that Peyton Manning doesn't have a good enough supporting cast to keep them an elite team.

And every year the Colts are a playoff team and a threat to go all the way.

I'm willing to bet this year is no exception.

Just for the record, the 'Goliath' bit was clearly mostly intended to be a catchy title. The central argument I'm making isn't focused on that, but on how the Redskins have beaten teams they weren't supposed to beat over the years.

And the Packers and Colts are teams we aren't supposed to beat guys.

The Packers have a horrible running game but I am terrified of Matthews and what he can do.

Matthews worries me too, Mike especially since he's coming out of the left OLB slot. I have another one I'm scared of-Jermichael Finley at 6'-5" he's big and has the speed of a 5'-11" WR and has flypaper hands.

As you alluded to in another thread and I'm making it my personal phrase for the week, we must pound the rock. Time of possession is key to us coming out on top. The one thing Gibbs knew was that if you can't run, you can't win the big games which turn into slow, slugfest 15 round prizefights.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.