• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Can someone explain a few things to me?

pretty much every thread today is like this

doom-gloom-430x238.jpg

week 3 people..week 3.

I'm so far from a doom and gloomer it's kinda funny to see it directed at me. Even an ardent homer can see after 3 weeks of this stuff that this team blows goats especially on defense. There's no doom and gloom there, just a statement based on the facts at hand.

Put it this way, what defense has looked worse?

I'm a gloom and doomer but to be fair I've been one for awhile now. :p

But in the spirit of team spirit I will now re-instate my positive-only policy. I just needed about 24 hours. I hope you all understand. :)

Mike, since CounterTrey started the thread he probably inferred from your comment that all the threads today seemed "Doom and Gloom-ish" that he-or, more properly, his thread was included.

BTW, Mike you know what's interesting to me, I'm not in the Doom-and-Gloom camp but if we had, for example won the Houston game the threads would have been about securing home-field for the playoffs and I wouldn't have been in that group either. Fans have a tendency to overreact sometimes and it's normal but I just kind of wait it out until things settle down a bit before filtering beck in the conversation.

Basically what I'm saying is don't let the apparent tone of "Oh God it's all crashing down about our heads and we're guaranteed to fail" stuff bother you too much-and, conversely, if we, for example beat the Eagles and either the Packers, Colts, or the Bears don't get all carried away with planning a trip to Dallas for the Super Bowl.

I will admit to being a bit Doom and Gloom after the loss to the Rams. It was infuriating to see the Redskins lose to a team of sub-par caliber.

After the Houston loss, I was filled with the feeling of satisfaction that we played a tough team hard and could have pulled it out against the best offensive squad in the NFL with our D struggling. In this case the offense stepped up and was hitting on all cylinders compensating for a D that had stood strong the week before but couldn't keep up with the Texans.

All in all, this loss was a poor performance against a Rams' team we should have beaten. It is the type of game that angers me because it shouldn't have played out the way it did. We should have won that game and it was reminiscent of past years where we simply looked inept in many ways. We have been sold on a new set of goods. In the first 2 games there was a glimpse of hope in those goods. Many saw the Rams' game as a game that would show us what this team really had. It did. We are not nearly as good as I thought we were after the first 2 games.

But Gano did a great job punting the ball. I do have to say. :)

El, when the season started, I estimated the Skins would be a mid-pack 8-8 record team based on the coaching, system, and personnel changes and what I watched during pre-season. Expecting any more than that I simply considered to be unrealistic. All the changes are way more than one season can absorb and assimilate. 8-8 mid-pack teams, however, can beat good to very good teams on any given Sunday and lose to mediocre teams any given Sunday.

With he Dallas game, I knew they had Oline weaknesses we had both the players and new defensive setup to exploit-I thought we had a good chance especially with how disorganized the Cowboys looked in the pre-season. It worked.

With Houston, they have a porous pass D-they've given up more passing yards per game than we have. When they beat the Colts, they took advantage of another weak pass and not very solid run D which they beat with the new-found running game plus their passing game-still Manning passed for over 400 yards against them. I figured if McNabb had one of his good games we had a shot at taking them-and we nearly did. And now look what happens-the Cowboys embarrass them.

Both Dallas and Houston will likely make the playoffs-and the Rams? Ah, the Rams. Our first away game (a factor I haven't seen anyone take into consideration) against a weak-but with enough changes-to-raise-questions-about team. And we played poorly-for numerous reasons that will be hashed out, argued over, analyzed, both over and under-estimated and largely forgotten if we win against the Iggles.

But, coming from my "8-8, mid-pack" perspective, not, a totally unexpected occurrence, very unpleasant and hurtful, but, as I mentioned before, something that happens to average NFL teams. And that's what I pictured the Skins to be this season-average. A far cry from the atrocity of last season, but not yet playoff-calibre. We'll win 6 or 7 more games yet this season, I think-pending further incoming information, of course, and we'll beat a couple teams we shouldn't when we're dogs and lose a couple more we shouldn't when we're favored.

It's been said elsewhere, but I can also see this season driving Redskins fans nuts due to wildly varying levels of play, from storming ferocity to horrid suckiness, sometimes in the same game.

One more thing;

Watch for at least one of the "top-tier" teams to have a "L" laid on them by this Skins team. :)

It might be a minor point at this stage since our defense is ranked dead last (and in this case the numbers don’t lie) but our special teams have been terrible even though Gano did a nice job in a pinch Sunday. I could list out all of the bad things that have happened in just three games but it would read like a laundry list of everything that could go wrong on special teams. Our kick coverage has been decent I guess, and by saying that I’ve jinxed us to a 108 yard kickoff return or something.

My question is why? I know that Danny Smith is well liked and respected around the league but if he was an offensive or defensive coordinator he would have been fired years ago. Why can’t we get a reliable punter or place kicker? Why can’t we do simple things like block for a field goal? It’s always something and it's been this way for years.

Is it a general lack of talent everywhere or does the problem starts at the top.

But, coming from my "8-8, mid-pack" perspective, not, a totally unexpected occurrence, very unpleasant and hurtful, but, as I mentioned before, something that happens to average NFL teams. And that's what I pictured the Skins to be this season-average. A far cry from the atrocity of last season, but not yet playoff-calibre. We'll win 6 or 7 more games yet this season, I think-pending further incoming information, of course, and we'll beat a couple teams we shouldn't when we're dogs and lose a couple more we shouldn't when we're favored.

It's been said elsewhere, but I can also see this season driving Redskins fans nuts due to wildly varying levels of play, from storming ferocity to horrid suckiness, sometimes in the same game.

One more thing;

Watch for at least one of the "top-tier" teams to have a "L" laid on them by this Skins team. :)

Serv, great analysis and I see your point to a degree. You are correct in your suggestion that we are mediocre, which is why I am still not as infuriated as I have been in the past, property damage and all.

The problem I have is that we lost to a team we should have easily beaten. This team has played us tough over the past three years taking two from us. But with the changes we have made, I expected us to do better than this. I saw us at best a 9-7 team with a chance at a wild card. For that to have occurred we needed to put the Rams away. We did not. The team showed it's colors.

We go into Philly this week, we play the Packers at home, the Colts at home and the Bears in Chicago. I just can't see us beating any of them with the performance we had last week. Vick will shred us with the same game plan as the Rams. The Packers D will destroy McNabb if we don't come legit. Manning will light us up and the Bears D will beat us around. With the problems we are facing right now on both sides of the ball, we are in trouble! 6 wins most unless they do something drastically different than what we saw Sunday.

Doom? Sure, but realistic in light of Sunday's performance.

I think the Eagles are somewhat overrated and a Skins victory this sunday would right the ship somewhat. I figured around week 4-6 we will have a better idea of what kind of team we have. 3rd down conversions are dismal however, I think I read we have 6 in 3 games.
That needs to change...

El, when the season started, I estimated the Skins would be a mid-pack 8-8 record team based on the coaching, system, and personnel changes and what I watched during pre-season. Expecting any more than that I simply considered to be unrealistic. All the changes are way more than one season can absorb and assimilate. 8-8 mid-pack teams, however, can beat good to very good teams on any given Sunday and lose to mediocre teams any given Sunday.

This is where we disagree, I think. While I expected pretty much the same outcome as you for the season . . . somewhere from 7 to 9 wins . . . I expected a Shanahan coached team to win the games they were supposed to win, like the game against the Rams. That is the one place Zorn failed the most, IMHO. Losses to teams like KC and Detroit last year and the Rams the year before were the norm with him coaching. I really believed that having an experienced, proven head coach with a real offense and a Pro Bowl QB would win these sorts of games for us.

Apparently I was incorrect.

This is where we disagree, I think. While I expected pretty much the same outcome as you for the season . . . somewhere from 7 to 9 wins . . . I expected a Shanahan coached team to win the games they were supposed to win, like the game against the Rams. That is the one place Zorn failed the most, IMHO. Losses to teams like KC and Detroit last year and the Rams the year before were the norm with him coaching. I really believed that having an experienced, proven head coach with a real offense and a Pro Bowl QB would win these sorts of games for us.

I share your exact feelings. I'm going to give Shanny the benefit of doubt and just credit the loss to a missing punter and a huge dropoff at LT with Williams missing.

Patience. He rebuilt the bookends in one off season through the draft and FA. I agree the interior is rough, but I have a feeling we will be addressing that in the off season.

The defense is more puzzling to me, though I think I know what the problem is. With Fat Al refusing to play NT, the scheme was shot. If we had a healthy, happy and productive AH playing NT, our D looks a bit different. Instead though, he is a petulant child, and not in shape, and the D suffers.

What was apparent to me yesterday is that we got NO QB pressure. None. I am confused why Haslett elected to blitz the hell out of Romo, allowing them to march down the field, as escaping the pocket is the one thing Romo excels at, and then sit back and let a rookie pick us apart?

If they are committed to the 3-4, so be it. But how do we not make in-game adjustments like that?

good point abt AH. just the same..now we have one more hole that has to be filled next off-season

That's generally what I do. Like I said, Spurrier "broke" me. But for some reason this particular game had me yelling at the TV like I haven't in many years. I guess they made me give a crap again, lesson learned. I've thought all along that 8-8 would have me thrilled this year, but like you I'm taking a serious look at revising that. I don't see how this D is going to stop the Packers, Colts, Eagles to name a few of our soon to be opponents. This team could be looking at a 4 or 5 win season again if the coaches don't "do some of that coaching stuff".

I think you are like alot of us CT, in that the Cowboy win coupled with the Texans close win, made us think we had something. In fact, I went into this Rams game saying that it will show us just how "bad" we are. Unfortunately, I was right, we are bad, and come find out, we were bad in the first two games to! We went in to those blind however, so we couldn't see the forest because of the trees. Now we see what we really are, the same team as last year, only with a "real" QB. McNabb gives us our only hope, we don't have squat at any other skill position, our Oline still hasn't got what it takes, and our switch in defense has left us with a learning curve. bottom line, we are not a good football team, its not the coaches, we don't have the players, and they are officially OLD. We have more house cleaning to do, lots of it.

... we don't have squat at any other skill position,..

Gee, I guess that means we get to say bye-bye to CP's blocking and newly inspired running...not to mention Santana Moss, Chris Cooley...and maybe a couple others if I gave it much thought.

Blanket statements are risky, my friend.

gotcha

who said i meant you? i was talking about threads and the people who write in them. i never said you and honestly wasnt even thinking of you when i wrote it.

That's cool Mike. I guess I just incorrectly inferred that you meant me when you said pretty much all threads that day were like this and then posted it in the thread I started. I wasn't being touchy I just was genuinely amused. I'm usually banging heads with the inexorable gloom and doomers.

:bucktooth:

DING DING DING!!!!!! Give the man a cigar! I'm right with ya Neo. I knew we'd lose close to half if not more of our games but cripes losing like this to such a craptastic team? I wanna see some of that coaching stuff...enough letting the other team with a rookie and no running game dictate! Vick and Jackson will absolutely destroy that if they call plays like that again.

Gee, I guess that means we get to say bye-bye to CP's blocking and newly inspired running...not to mention Santana Moss, Chris Cooley...and maybe a couple others if I gave it much thought.

Blanket statements are risky, my friend.

Yea micks I'm with servum here...I see your point but can't agree on the skill player comments. Cooley the poor guy is becoming the Dangerfield of TE,s he rarely gets mentioned anymore among the leagues elite and I think given a balanced attack he would be right back shredding D's.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.