• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

new pool: when will hyer be cut?

Heyer has regressed for whatever reason. When we first signed him, I really thought we had found a diamond in the rough, and he played pretty well early on. These days he looks lost, slow, and clumsy. I don't get it.

Unfortunately, we don't have anyone better, or they would be playing.

I don't think he ever fully recovered from his knee injury. Sometimes players bounce back, sometimes they don't. Unfortunately, he hasn't yet.

Heyer ain't the ****ing problem boys and girls.

If he should be cut because of his play, then so should the defense.

The whole defense.

Hmmm...I think that's a bit of an overreaction. We have some talent on D, especially at LB. However if our DL can't keep the blockers off the LBs, they don't do us much good.

Hmmm...I think that's a bit of an overreaction. We have some talent on D, especially at LB. However if our DL can't keep the blockers off the LBs, they don't do us much good.
I don't need the statistical proof, even though it's there, to tell me that, right now, we're the worst defense in the NFL.

Heyer, has nothing to do with that. I'm just saying, if we're gonna barbecue him for his play, then there's room on the grill for the defense.

There is certainly some individual talent. But at the moment, collectively, they suck.

There is certainly some individual talent. But at the moment, collectively, they suck.

I don't think anyone is denying that. I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt, and give them a few more weeks to get the scheme down. However, as I said in the other thread, they aren't doing the fundamental things well, like tackling. Sigh.

I don't think anyone is denying that. I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt, and give them a few more weeks to get the scheme down. However, as I said in the other thread, they aren't doing the fundamental things well, like tackling. Sigh.
You're exactly right. I don't doubt for a minute, that eventually, the light will come on in the new scheme.

I expected us to suffer greatly in transition. But, through 3 games, it's even worse than I imagined it would be. Maybe this is the bottom, and the only way to go now, is up.

Let's hope so.

You're exactly right. I don't doubt for a minute, that eventually, the light will come on in the new scheme.

I expected us to suffer greatly in transition. But, through 3 games, it's even worse than I imagined it would be. Maybe this is the bottom, and the only way to go now, is up.

Let's hope so.

Well, the bright side is I'm not sure the D could get much worse...

Vick will make it worse with the way he's playing. He'll probably get a hundred yards running by himself
I'm hoping on one of his runs, Mr. Landry will introduce himself in a rude, violent kind of way.

Ax, this same group of defenders was #10 in the league last year. It is the scheme! If I see Andre Carter out in the flat, when the QB is scrambling, nearly trip over his feet again because he has no idea where he should be, I am going to puke! They said in the off-season they would play a hybrid 3-4, 4-3. They are playing a strict 3-4 and it is a horrible scheme with the players we have!!! Match the scheme to the talent you possess.

Someone said we can blame Shanahan for this scheme. You are correct to a degree, it was his idea to play it. But it is Haslett's responsibility to put that scheme into affect. We had a rookie QB calling audibles that were burning us like a High School team!

Unfortunately, there's only so much that can be done in one season to right the turd vinny left behind.

Come on Sarge, Vinny left us with a playoff-caliber team. He even said so himself. :rolleyes:

Ax, this same group of defenders was #10 in the league last year.
Well, not quite.
Carriker, Kemo, Bryant, Buchanan weren't here.
Landry, Haynesworth, Golston, Doughty, Alexander, Carter, Wilson played other positions.
Smoot, Griff, are gone.
Fletch, Orakpo, McIntosh linebacker responsibilities were different.

It is the scheme! If I see Andre Carter out in the flat, when the QB is scrambling, nearly trip over his feet again because he has no idea where he should be, I am going to puke!

Agreed. However, admitting this early that they were wrong to do the switch now, would be a very bad thing, IMO.

They said in the off-season they would play a hybrid 3-4, 4-3. They are playing a strict 3-4 and it is a horrible scheme with the players we have!!! Match the scheme to the talent you possess.
They've lined up in everything from 1 to 4 down linemen. Instead of trying to learn one thing well, they're trying everything, HOPING, something might work.

It hasn't.

Someone said we can blame Shanahan for this scheme. You are correct to a degree, it was his idea to play it. But it is Haslett's responsibility to put that scheme into affect. We had a rookie QB calling audibles that were burning us like a High School team!
The thing we can't know is, could anybody else have done any better implementing the head coach's vision, with the tools available to him?

Well, not quite.
Carriker, Kemo, Bryant, Buchanan weren't here.
Landry, Haynesworth, Golston, Doughty, Alexander, Carter, Wilson played other positions.
Smoot, Griff, are gone.
Fletch, Orakpo, McIntosh linebacker responsibilities were different.

I would say that Kemo and Carriker are upgrades over Montgomery and Griffin. I also think Buchanon is an upgrade over Smoot. But a majority of the starting defense is still intact. I gotta say, at this point in the season I would prefer to have Blache's bend but don't break defense.

Many are calling this a learning curve, but I don't see it. We do not have the players to succeed in the 3-4. By the time this group learns it, we will need a new corner, Rogers will be gone, and new LB's, Flethcer is getting up there in age even though he is performing, and McIntosh will be gone as well. We need interior lineman and we will have to replace all these guys within 2 years.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.