• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins Insider: Redskins Cut RB Larry Johnson

Lanky Livingston

Redskins cut running back Larry Johnson

The Redskins cut veteran running back Larry Johnson Tuesday, making him the first casualty of a ground game that has been among the NFL's worst through the first two weeks of the season. Johnson's agent, Peter Schaffer, confirmed the move.

According to ProFootballTalk.com, the team immediately replaced Johnson with Chad Simpson, a third-year player out of Morgan State who spent two years with Indianapolis and was with Buffalo during the preseason.

Johnson, 30, was signed as a free agent in the offseason and came to camp to compete with incumbent starter Clinton Portis as well as veteran free agent Willie Parker - who was cut before camp - as well as younger backs Keiland Williams and Ryan Torain. Johnson was largely unproductive in the preseason, but made the team anyway. He contributed little in the Redskins' first two games.

Redskins General Manager Bruce Allen, in a news release announcing the move, offered little explanation.

"We appreciate Larry's attitude and contributions to the Redskins," Allen said. "However, we needed to make a roster move in preparation for this week's game against the Rams."

Johnson ran five times for two yards in the first-week win over Dallas and Sunday's overtime loss to Houston. That included a 10-yard loss in the fourth quarter of the Texans' game.

Click link for the rest.

Chad Simpson is a special teams guy - so it looks like Torain is gonna stay on the PS for now.

Can anyone make any sense of this? Who would be leaving special teams? Trade in the works?

I called for it in one of the other forums about thirty minutes ago - and the last two days. Didn't think it would happen, but this change was needed. It will be interesting to see what happens with any other potential changes.

Obviously, but what was the agent talking about (WaPo has his comments)? A short term need for a special teams running back, huh?

My only disappointment is it took til today to cut him.

Every time he ran the ball I sat back wondering what the hell he was doing. I'm glad I don't have to do that now.

Obviously I was wrong about Johnson. I do wonder about Schaffer's comments. It is intriguing, yet at the same time it may have just been GM speak from Allen.

I'm kinda with you, Mike. I don't think the problem was a lack of effort. It was a lack of petrol left in the tank.

I kid you not though, if you gave me five carries, I think I could get two rushing yards in the NFL. I probably wouldn't survive. But I'd get two yards.

Well, I like the move for no other reason than LJ was simply not making any contribution. It doesn't matter if it was lack of gas or lack of effort.

The only surprising part is Torain not being called up from the PS like Lanky mentioned. That leaves us with Keiland Williams as the number two guy right? Hope he makes the most of the opportunity that he'll surely get. I like rooting for the late round guys.

Well, I like the move for no other reason than LJ was simply not making any contribution. It doesn't matter if it was lack of gas or lack of effort.

The only surprising part is Torain not being called up from the PS like Lanky mentioned. That leaves us with Keiland Williams as the number two guy right? Hope he makes the most of the opportunity that he'll surely get. I like rooting for the late round guys.

Me too, bro. I'd like to see Torain get a shot as well. But you could tell when he wasn't getting chances at the end of the preseason, he wasn't in the Shanaplans.

I'll take that bet. ;)

Come on dude, that's less than a half-yard a carry. Or one carry for, well, exactly two yards. Six feet. Even I can run six feet. :laugh:

In fact, I'll level the David-Letterman Challenge. He always said he could pitch one inning of scoreless baseball for any team in the majors. I make the following guaran-damned-tee. Given a maximum of five carries, I will rush for two yards for any team in the National Football League (save for Dallas, Philly and the Giants. I have standards y'know.)

Dick Vermeil said:
He will take over the running back position. That's what I think. He'll push that guy right out of a job. Larry Johnson will work all week -- he'll work Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday -- and he'll make you start him on Sundays.

Nice prediction Dick.

Link

Come on dude, that's less than a half-yard a carry. Or one carry for, well, exactly two yards. Six feet. Even I can run six feet. :laugh:

In fact, I'll level the David-Letterman Challenge. He always said he could pitch one inning of scoreless baseball for any team in the majors. I make the following guaran-damned-tee. Given a maximum of five carries, I will rush for two yards for any team in the National Football League (save for Dallas, Philly and the Giants. I have standards y'know.)

LOL...NFL Linebackers are FAST, dude. If you didn't lose 1 to 2 yards on your first try, I think you might do it.

LOL...NFL Linebackers are FAST, dude. If you didn't lose 1 to 2 yards on your first try, I think you might do it.

That would be the key for sure. If I'm dropped for a loss at any point, it's over.

Oh, and NFL LBs are fast, but NFL O-linemen are big...and kinda fast. :)

Yeah, I was gonna bring that up. So much for Vermeil being a prophet. So, we get rid of one sucky component of the running game, what else needs to go?
Rabach?

He's got the brains, but he lacks the brawn. I know we can't afford to do it yet, but I do long for the day.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.