• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Matt Terl's Redskins Blog: Clinton Portis Calls His Block 'Just Hustling'

BGO

Clinton Portis talked about a lot of things from the podium after this evening's game.

He summarized the game thusly: "We just came up short."

He summarized the running game's struggles like this: "You just gotta be patient."

He pointed out that running vs. passing isn't the most important thing: "Find a way to win games, whether we're throwing or running."

He was blunt about out one of the major underlying causes of the loss today: "We just gotta capitalize in the red zone. We're moving the ball up and down the field."

He offered the classic athlete explanation of dealing with a tough loss: "The same way we had to forget about Dallas after we won, we gotta forget about Houston."

And he expounded on that last one with this zen-like observation. "We can't play the game again, we can't add time on the clock, so tomorrow it's on to our next game."

But what I was most interested in was his explanation of this play, his remarkable block downfield to help Fred Davis nearly get to the end zone.

Here's how Portis described the play.

"Just hustling, I think, trying to be a part of the game. I [saw] the play developing and I had a flat route, and I thought about Fred [who] had a wheel route on it. And I looked up and I see him running downfield and I was like, 'I gotta get down here, I think this play could be a big play.'

"And Fred was like, where did I come from? It was just hustling, you know, trying to get in the end zone. Because I know points are hard to come by, so if you can spring anybody to get a touchdown, I'm trying."

Which is the simple answer for anyone who wonders why Redskins fans love Portis, despite his occasional visible foibles: if he can spring anybody to get a touchdown, he's trying. Forcefully.Clinton Portis Calls His Block 'Just Hustling' originally appeared on Redskins Blog on Sun, 19 Sep 2010 21:23:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Linking Blogs | Comments

More...

I love me some CP.

He'll get it going. Bank on that.

Yes. CP is a rhythm runner, needs 20+ touches to get going and stay strong. We went away from the run so quickly today he never had a chance to get in that Rhythm. He will pick it up.

Yes. CP is a rhythm runner, needs 20+ touches to get going and stay strong. We went away from the run so quickly today he never had a chance to get in that Rhythm. He will pick it up.

I think this is a key point. As much as I thought Portis was a distraction at times in the past you can't question his effort this season. He WANTS to make the great block. A lot of times good blocking comes down to "want to" as one of my old coaches used to put it.

Portis got 13 carries yesterday and 2 or 3 of them were at the goal line. You can't expect the running game to get going when you don't give it a chance. Johnson has just been terrible. When I saw him try to cut back on that run yesterday I was just stunned. A vet back just shouldn't be making those kind of mistakes.

Still, I can't complain too much about the game. I'm disappointed sure but we didn't get worked. I saw a lot of good things about the game yesterday and a lot of things we can still do better.

Johnson has just been terrible. When I saw him try to cut back on that run yesterday I was just stunned. A vet back just shouldn't be making those kind of mistakes.

Yeah. I am trying really hard not to be too reactionary here, but I can not understand why LJ wasn't cut before he hit the locker room. That cut back "play" was just horrendous. If he doesn't have the burst anymore (and her certainly appears not to have it), but we were keeping him around as a smart RB who could spell Portis by running straight ahead, so be it. But that play pretty much eliminated him being a smart player, imo.

I am all for calling up Torain and cutting LJ. If we could get Marshawn Lynch for less than a 5th, I would consider that, though it appears he has passed Fred Jackson on the depth chart at this point.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.