• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Immediate Notes

fansince62

well...it takes a while for new systems to be installed...so one should be happy with how competitive this team has become. from my game notes:

- we don't have a modern receiving corps...yes scheme works well...until we get to the RZ. Modern offenses are built around a tall, fast, muscular primary receiver. We have Santana Moss who ought to be the league's number 1 slot receiver. Why Devin Thomas doesn't play is beyond me. He ought to be our Z receiver.

- we're going to have to draft a young RB to complement K WIlliams. Portis is ok but too expensive and about to be too old....Johnson is over the hill. I can't tell from TV if the run game problem is poor execution on zone blocking or RBs unable to see a hole. either way.....the pass/run ratio was way lopsided today...and that was with a lead most of the game. the lack of a run game is one reason we lost this game. we couldn't run the clock down.

- our special teams are good in coverage but it sure doesn't seem like anyone makes an effort to block field goals. other teams go all out

- future opponents: wherever Reed Doughty is...pass it there!

- transitioning to 3-4 is gonna take a couple years
....we can't generate a pass rush from the down linemen..the 3-4 isn't built for that...but it sure would be nice
....our DEs still get sucked in
....gap integrity fell apart too often...that's why Texas ran so many bootleg passes...and cut backs early on
....we need a great LB to complement Orakpo. McIntosh is good...but no one the other team worries about
....the run defense still stinks
....WAY TOO MANY BROKEN COVERAGES IN THE SECONDARY...what the H?
....still bad individual tackling good gang tackling

- it may be TV perspective...but FG snaps sure seem to be regularly high

- oh..stephon hyer will be on a different team next year

Last edited by a moderator:
We can't give up 480+ yards in passing defense and expect to win. Was the lack of containment due to poor pressure on the QB or poor coverage or both?

Both. AJ had a monster game but Walter also shredded up early and often. I wonder if we keyed in on Foster too much in prepping for the game? Run D was decent, pass D was atrocious. Opposite of last week. 5 sacks sounds good, until you realize that all five (if I remember right) were off blitzes. Fansince's is right, little pressure when we just brought three or four.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Just have a bad feeling about Haslett. I keep waiting for the defense to self destruct under his leadership.

We can't give up 480+ yards in passing defense and expect to win. Was the lack of containment due to poor pressure on the QB or poor coverage or both?

both!

Prav...hard to tell from TV...but it sure seemed Schabb had a lot of time most of the game. Those were long passes he completed - which obviously take time to develop. He isn't all that mobile but sure managed to move around to today.

Can't answer up on pass defense. Looked like zone coverages broke down periodically.

Both. AJ had a monster game but Walter also shredded up early and often. I wonder if we keyed in on Foster too much in prepping for the game? Run D was decent, pass D was atrocious. Opposite of last week. 5 sacks sounds good, until you realize that all five (if I remember right) were off blitzes. Fansince's is right, little pressure when we just brought three or four.

well...I was PO'd with the defense...and expect more of the same for the rest of the yr to be honest. but.....I think it's gonna take a year or so to get all the right personnel in place. this is gonna be harder than most of us expect.

hey....we were competitive. in fact, we should have won. let's see if this team can improve this season as they learn how to work the new schemes as a team.

Larry Johnson. Well, um, uh. Not good at all. There were a couple of times where he needed to hit the hole quickly and didn't even come close. The ten yard loss should've been a two yard gain if he hits that narrow hole. At his age, he can't spin around now and expect his speed (or definite lack thereof) to afford him an opportunity to get away from defenders.

Ryan Torain needs to be elevated from the PS.

My $0.02.

both!

Prav...hard to tell from TV...but it sure seemed Schabb had a lot of time most of the game. Those were long passes he completed - which obviously take time to develop. He isn't all that mobile but sure managed to move around to today.

Can't answer up on pass defense. Looked like zone coverages broke down periodically.
Gotcha; thanks Al. I didn't get to watch the game as it was blacked out in favor of the Jets in NYC. I wonder how much our pressure improves with a willing Haynesworth who came into this season ready to play. Maybe a worthless endeavor considering that, but I can't help but thinking about it.

BB, couldn't agree more. LJ has looked worthless since preseason, i was surprised we kept him over Torain. I would be in definite favor of dropping LJ for Torain.

Prav, I am not sure we will see Al in a Skins uni this year. Even if we do, he hasn't proved to be particularly motivated. Not sure how much difference he would have made today. His forte is the running game, when motivated. They didn't run the ball that much.

All our pressure came on blitzes. Schaub was in the dirt a fair amount, but when protection held up, Schaub was able to pick apart one-on-one coverage.

Prav, I am not sure we will see Al in a Skins uni this year. Even if we do, he hasn't proved to be particularly motivated. Not sure how much difference he would have made today. His forte is the running game, when motivated. They didn't run the ball that much.
I hear you Goaldeje -- only thought is that if you have someone who can be that devastating, dominant and strong, I think it has the potential to change the game plan of the Texans a bit coming into the game. That in and of itself could serve as a game changer and allow us to put more pressure in other areas because we could rely on Haynesworth to do more in one phase.

All that goes out the window when he's done what he's done thus far -- we don't even know what we don't have.

Let's talk about the good a little as well as the bad

O-line pas blocking - pretty darn good
O-line run blocking - pretty darn bad

Sellers - played a good game today after last weeks uninspiring play
CP - His block on the Davis pass is just pure sweet blocking goodness - rush yards not much - his presense was felt on the field

the WR's - Lots of caught passes today, at half time I literally asked outloud when is the last time we scored 20 points in the first half??

Not doubling Andre Johnson in the 4th quarter - just bad decision
Not doubling Andre Johnsons and leaving Doughty on him one on one - suicidally bad decision

Icing the kicker - I have disliked this from the start, just seems unsportmanlike

Laron Landry and Brian Orakpo - LL played hard and aggressive like we wanted him to when he was drafted. Orakpo still has some work to do in space but his speed off the edge is nasty.

The refs - wasn't a bad game by the officials, I felt the clock should have stopped before the McNabb sack in the final 2 mins though

The Texans are a solid football team and we pushed them to the limit, its like the first Rocky. We went the distance with what many will start to call an elite team. We didn't win, but we took them to the edge.

All I know is that the Redskins' defense got TOASTED by Schaub and the Texans. Especially Doughty and Rogers.

You're right that there was very little pressure, but Schaub got the ball out fairly quick. He's a fantastic QB.

Peyton and the Colts are helping tonight - we will be tied for first place. Got the Rams in an away game upcoming. Someone at PFT made a very good comment - these are two very good teams and it was a slugfest.

A little luck cost us at the end, but who can argue with Donovan tossing for 426 yards? And with the receivers that we have (minus Moss and Cooley) - impressive.

BB, couldn't agree more. LJ has looked worthless since preseason, i was surprised we kept him over Torain. I would be in definite favor of dropping LJ for Torain.

as a Penn Stater...it hurts me to say it...but...YUP!

Let's talk about the good a little as well as the bad

O-line pas blocking - pretty darn good
O-line run blocking - pretty darn bad

Sellers - played a good game today after last weeks uninspiring play
CP - His block on the Davis pass is just pure sweet blocking goodness - rush yards not much - his presense was felt on the field

the WR's - Lots of caught passes today, at half time I literally asked outloud when is the last time we scored 20 points in the first half??

Not doubling Andre Johnson in the 4th quarter - just bad decision
Not doubling Andre Johnsons and leaving Doughty on him one on one - suicidally bad decision

Icing the kicker - I have disliked this from the start, just seems unsportmanlike

Laron Landry and Brian Orakpo - LL played hard and aggressive like we wanted him to when he was drafted. Orakpo still has some work to do in space but his speed off the edge is nasty.

The refs - wasn't a bad game by the officials, I felt the clock should have stopped before the McNabb sack in the final 2 mins though

The Texans are a solid football team and we pushed them to the limit, its like the first Rocky. We went the distance with what many will start to call an elite team. We didn't win, but we took them to the edge.

concur! though I still think our receiving corps needs to be overhauled during the off-season

Overall I'm fairly pleased with the game. This is a new era in the Nfl at least for the moment. Everything is based on the passing game with very little emphasis on the running game or so it seems.
The Skins were in it til the end against one of the better teams in the league. They put points on the board. Unfortunately they yielded alot of points as well. Without a doubt there are a few pieces missing but honestly... wouldn't all of say our hopes of competing for the division title just became a reasonable notion?
I'm guessing Haynesworth gets shipped out this week. I wonder what we will get in return. Do the Titans have a suitable and tradeable FS or Dt that would upgrade what we have? That would be nice.

In my opinion, this game came down to 5 key plays, any one of which went the Redskins' way, and the game is over. These are the types of plays that championship teams execute, and the Redskins are not there yet.

The first 2 drives of the game where the Redskins only came up with field goals loom large. It was pretty obvious that the Shanahans seemed to be trying to get CP going early, which is why he was targeted so much in the red zone on those first two possessions. On the 3rd and 9 play, McNabb threw incomplete to Portis, but had Cooley wide open going the other way in the back of the end zone. If McNabb sees #47, we're up 10-0 instead of 6-0, and most likely hold on to win.

When Andre Johnson went out of the game and subsequently to the locker room, the Redskins should have known the Texans would go back to their stud RB Arian Foster. Somehow, they let Foster take a screen pass 50 yards to the 6 yard-line. This. Cannot. Happen. Yes, Doughty was a step too slow on the ensuing touchdown, but you can't let them take a screen pass 50 yards, it was a total back breaker. At that point in the game, I started to get that uneasy feeling of "oh no, here we go again."

The blocked field goal. Oh man Fred Davis...oh man. Completely whiffed on Pollard, who came in basically untouched and blocked the kick. At this point, my uneasy feeling switched to pure dread. I was surrounded by screaming Texans fans as well, which did not help.

Joey Galloway - from hero to goat in one game. McNabb threw a picture-perfect deep ball right down the middle of the field to Joey, who let the ball go right through his hands. In one game we saw why Galloway is A) still in the league, and B) never much more than a pretty good #2 WR. Again, good teams finish that play and put the game away. At 34-20, we could have pretty much closed the book on Matt Schaub and the Texans. Instead, we had...

4th and 10. Reed Doughty. Andre Johnson. This is akin to Little Mac fighting Mike Tyson in Mike Tyson's Punch Out, except unfortunately we weren't playing a video game yesterday, and reality took over. Doughty one-on-one with Andre Johnson is like the Yankees bringing in a fan from the seats to close game 7 of the World Series with Ryan Howard at the plate. Let's not take credit away from Matt Schaub - fantastic effort avoiding the rush, getting off a pass from his back foot that was perfectly thrown, to the best WR in the NFL being guarded by Brainy Smurf. Its the type of play you only see in movies.

Any one of those plays goes the Redskins way, and we're a lot happier bunch this morning. Instead.....UGH.

PS - I would just like to take this opportunity to say how much I hate the icing the kicker move. It is a bush-league tactic. You took your chances punting the ball away to us, so man-up and take your punishment. Its a 52-yard field goal, not like that is easy to make (as seen from attempt #2). Yes, sometimes it backfires (read: when the Skins do it) but I hate it even when that happens. Hopefully the competition committee takes a long hard look at this rule, and makes the necessary changes.

Lanky, I hate the icing the kicker bush league too, but how would you fix it? Make a rule that a coach can only call a timeout at the last second for a regular play but not a FG? What if someone turns up injured? It seems that there are a lot of variables to make that difficult at best.

I hate the move, and agree with you completely. Kubiak didn't have the balls to trust his kicker, so man the **** up. But I'm not sure how the competition committee can make it better?

Lanky, I hate the icing the kicker bush league too, but how would you fix it? Make a rule that a coach can only call a timeout at the last second for a regular play but not a FG? What if someone turns up injured? It seems that there are a lot of variables to make that difficult at best.

I hate the move, and agree with you completely. Kubiak didn't have the balls to trust his kicker, so man the **** up. But I'm not sure how the competition committee can make it better?

I'm not sure either. Maybe take the time out calling ability away from the coaches? The players are professionals, they should know when and when not to call a time out. I mean, sitting there, next to an official, waiting to call a time out is just B.S.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.