A Burgundy and Gold Obsession
Unique. Classic. BGO Originals.

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Disagree Disagree:  0
Post of the Year Post of the Year:  0
    BGO
    Honored Guest

Thumbs up BGO Exclusive: Phillip Daniels Interview/Article (7/31/09)

Mike Richman recently caught up with returning Redskin Phillip Daniels.

[video]https://www.bgobsession.com/mike/PHILLIP DANIELS interview 7-31.mp3[/video]

I remember the scene as if it were yesterday. In the locker room at FedExField following a 34-28 loss to the Giants that ended Washington’s dismal 2006 season at 5-11, Redskins defensive end Phillip Daniels addressed a throng of reporters – and spoke from the heart.

With his face exuding frustration, he told how the preseason Super Bowl chatter that descended on Redskins Park had become a distraction for him and his teammates. “I expected home field advantage in the playoffs,” he said. “I can’t sit here and lie to you.”

As a member of the media, you’ve got to appreciate that Daniels doesn’t dance around the truth. He’s also affable and respectful of you. And I’m sure glad he’s back on the practice field at Redskins Park for his 14th season in the NFL after recovering from a traumatic injury. At age 36 – a time when most players are hanging up their cleats and spending a lot more time on the golf course – he’s battling again in the trenches of pro football.

Daniels 2008 season went up in flames when he tore two ligaments in his knee on the first play of training camp last year. Many of us recall the sight of him being carted off the field in agony and thinking that this is it for the grizzled vet. Yet several days later, he stood before reporters at Redskins Park and guaranteed that he’d be back.

But as he put it, it wasn’t easy.

“I ain’t going to lie to you, it was really tough,” he told BGObsession.com. “That whole sequence of events was tough. A lot of people doubted me. I don’t know why they would … they’ve seen me play through a whole bunch of injuries. A lot of people talk about the age thing. I’ll tell you what, I don't feel like a 36-year old. I feel young. I take care of my body. Even with the injury, I had faith everything was going to come out okay, and I was going to come back strong.”

Daniels’ experience as a power lifter was key to him overcoming the knee damage. The 6-6, 305-pound man of steel has been in power lifting competitions, including one last year when he finished first in his weight class with a 722-pound squat, 600-pound dead lift and 430-pound bench press. Not too shabby.

“I came out of surgery and because I did powerlifting, I was so strong that I was able to do a lot of exercises that people normally wouldn’t do,” he said. “That gave me confidence to say, `I'm going to come back.’ ”

Fellow defensive end Andre Carter said Daniels “worked his butt off” to return to the game. “Doctors were impressed that the day after he had surgery he was able to bend his knee,” Carter said. “They said all the muscle fibers he had (strengthened) during his power lifting really helped him out. He’s looking good.”

Daniels, who is in his sixth season in Washington after earlier stops in Chicago and Seattle, is a skilled run-stopper who is projected to play mainly on short-yardage downs. He’ll add an element to a defense that finished No. 4 in the league last year but had trouble at times getting offenses off the field in crucial situations. Redskins coach Jim Zorn said he looked “very sharp” in the first full-pads workout on Saturday.

“He is just so smart,” Zorn said. “I am trying to outsmart him a little bit, and he won’t be outsmarted, which is a good thing.”

“He’s making plays,” Zorn added. “He broke up a double team, just split it, made the tackle. That’s what we were hoping to see last year, and he’s picked up right where he left off. He is big and strong and is a real leader on the team.”

Daniels is also a mentor to young players such as rookie defensive ends Brian Orakpo and Jeremy Jarmon. (Another young Redskin defensive end, Alex Buzbee, is also making a comeback after tearing his Achilles tendon on the first day of training camp last year.) Daniels admires the determination in Orakpo, whom the Redskins drafted with the 13th pick this year and are grooming to also play outside linebacker.

“I know he feels like he’s going to be one of the best,” Daniels said of Orakpo. “That’s the fight in him. That’s how every guy feels when he comes into this league: `I'm going to go out and prove some things, I’m the best at my position.’ He has to do that. Just looking at him and looking at the tools he’s got, he actually reminds me a lot of me when I came out. He’s got a great chance to be the next best thing to come through here as a Redskin.”
    Last edited by Om; 08-12-09 at 01:19 PM.
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Love his attitude. I'm hoping he wins the "Comeback Player of the Year" award. That would mean great things for him and the team.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Marine Corps Virginia

Great, great conversation...I really enjoyed that - the determination and optimism is great to hear. Loved where he talks about this year's defense in relation to their top 5 ranking last year, and hearing him talk about it's one thing to look good on paper, another thing to go out there and prove it every Sunday.

Hell yeah Phillip!

Gotta love having a guy with that kind of heart of your team.
    0 0 0 0

Subscribe to our BGO Mailing List

You ain't bonafide

Mike Wise HATE'r

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That was a great interview...(minus that damn backup alarm on the scissor lift) Great Job! Thanks for putting it up! Always loved Phil he's a big strong dude who is a great role model for our young guys. God it feels good to say that we have young guys!!
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nice lengthy interview.

Daniels is easily one of my favorite players on the team. He embodies all of what Joe Gibbs called the "true Redskin," and I am more than happy to see him back.
    0 0 0 0

They make plans to sell luxury condos at your wake.

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Army Maryland

Great interview!!!! Daniels is awesome!!!!!
    0 0 0 0

You can be all that you want to be!!! Now go and do it!!!!

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Towson

I love that guy. I can't wait to see him back out on the field! His attitude is a great asset of his and I am pretty confident he's going to be an awesome mentor to the younger guys.
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Daniels at 36 I think folks will find is still an effective ballplayer. I have some questions about how much Wynn has left in the tank but not #93.
    Posted via BGO Mobile Device
    0 0 0 0