• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Excellent Breakdown of Redskins OL Play vs Dallas

Om

Burgundy & Gold Jacket
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
I think you'll enjoy this ... a former player's inside look at not just Williams' debut but the entire Skins OL. It's the kind of breakdown you wish you could find more of.

WORD OF MUTH: TRENT WILLIAMS DEBUT

(Ed. Note: Word of Muth is our new column where former Stanford left tackle Ben Muth will look at offensive line play, rotating his coverage between Dallas, Washington, and Arizona. If you missed the introduction that explored these teams and the goals of the column, you can read it here.)

Sunday night's Dallas-Washington opener was a defensive battle that ended up in a 13-7 Washington victory, but the Redskins' line played much better than the final score might indicate. Perhaps the biggest surprise was rookie left tackle Trent Williams and his very solid performance against DeMarcus Ware.

Williams did a lot of things very well. He was great at the second level, and in space. He seems to have a very a natural talent of locking onto defenders off the line of scrimmage, a skill that very few offensive lineman really have. The most obvious example of this was on the screen pass to Chris Cooley in the first quarter where he pulled outside, locked onto a safety and drove him straight to the sideline. For the most part, he also did a tremendous job in pass protection. He gave up a hit on an inside up-and-under move early in the game, and he gave up the sack to Ware in the second half, but the sack actually wasn't as bad of a play as it probably seemed. Donovan McNabb was in the shotgun, and then took a FULL five-step drop. His back foot hit at 11 yards deep in the backfield. That is really deep, and usually, as a quarterback, when you get that deep you either let the ball go as soon as the back foot hits, or you step up (or climb) in the pocket. On this play however, the Cowboys sent both linebackers inside and got a great push up the middle, collapsing the pocket. Because of that, McNabb couldn't step up and was a sitting duck for DeMarcus Ware. So, while Williams did get his hands knocked down and actually give up the sack, it wasn't a one-man effort from Ware.

Otherwise, Williams was very impressive in not only containing Ware, but doing so within the offensive scheme without needing any extra help, such as running back chips or protections where the tight end stayed in to double-team. He wasn't as effective run blocking against the Cowboys' down defensive linemen or Ware, but he certainly wasn't liability in that department by any means. He didn't really get beat in these situations, but he also didn't get any real movement, usually stalemating with a defender on the line of scrimmage. The false start on Washington's final drive was poor timing and a drive-killer, but luckily for Williams, another dumb penalty by a different player would overshadow it. Overall, Washington fans have to be really excited about what they saw.

CLICK HERE for lots more

That play where Trent drove the defender twenty-five yards down the field (and another five yards out of bounds :) ) was a thing of beauty. I could watch replays of it a million times and never get tired of seeing it.

Two things...

Who was the defender on that play? Can someone make an animated gif of that play? We need it as a part of the videos here. :)

Awesome article. Good to see Williams playing well against one of the best pass-rushers in the league.

Exceptional read. It's so nice to see a former player actually showing some real skill, instead of being another stuffed shirt flappin their gum's in a broadcast booth.

I think with an upgrade at center, we could have a dominating O line.

This is for you BB. Check out the smile on Shanahan's face! Classic!

download-1.jpg

Slightly reminiscent of the play in The Blind Side where Michael Oher drives the DE all the way down the field.

This is for you BB. Check out the smile on Shanahan's face! Classic!

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Coach looks like he loved that block. I had the same kind of smile on my face when it happened.

Gerald Sensabaugh is the player who got owned on that play. :rotflmao:

Now we need the animated gif of it. Also, I hope the mods will add this pic to the BGO Library. It's priceless.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Coach looks like he loved that block. I had the same kind of smile on my face when it happened.

Gerald Sensabaugh is the player who got owned on that play. :rotflmao:

Now we need the animated gif of it. Also, I hope the mods will add this pic to the BGO Library. It's priceless.

I have a couple of this sequence over in the BGO Gallery. It is part of the link I posted of the images from the game I took and posted earlier this week.

http://www.bgobsession.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=511

That play where Trent drove the defender twenty-five yards down the field (and another five yards out of bounds :) ) was a thing of beauty. I could watch replays of it a million times and never get tired of seeing it.

Two things...

Who was the defender on that play? Can someone make an animated gif of that play? We need it as a part of the videos here. :)
The poor schlemeil who got owned was #43, Gerald Sensabaugh.

Video of the play here. Working on capturing the embed so we can find a special place for it. :)

Thanks Mark. I can watch that play over and over again. In fact, I did for about ten minutes or so. :)

great to have positive news to report about the Oline. Still needs some pieces, but it seems much improved.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.