• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

OF: Synaptic Shotgun 9.16.10 - Wrapping up the Cowboys

Om

Burgundy & Gold Jacket
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Occasional, recurring short-form posts about
the Washington Redskins, NFL and maybe even Life.
Almost like a blog.​

Begging your indulgence, here are a few final thoughts on the Dallas opener before officially turning the page in order to focus, with proper deference and solemnity, on the mighty Houston Texans juggernaut set to invade FedEx Field on Sunday bent on putting the upstart Redskins and their delusional fans in their place.

Oh yeah. We've been listening.

● About the dropped balls. It's a different game if Mike Sellers can jog and catch at the same time, if Anthony Armstrong can hang on to the sweetest second down fade you'll ever see, maybe even if Santana Moss can catch a simple ball that hits him in both hands to convert near midfield on the penaltimate drive. It's a finished game if Carlos Rogers could catch a cold.

If the teflon hands thing happens again, it's not my fault. I shot a $250 gift certificate from Dick's Sporting Goods to Redskins Park Monday morning. They have these.

● If the Redskins never throw another pass to Mike Sellers, it will be too soon. You don't invite Conan to tea and crumpets.

● I won't lie...I don't think I would have pulled the trigger on the 49-yard field goal attempt from the Dallas 31 with two minutes left in a three-point game. No way I could risk giving Tony Romo and Miles Austin the ball at their own 39, where just 30 yards gives them a good shot at the tying field goal. I would have punted, hoping to pin them back inside the 20, and asked my defense for one last stop.

A sincere nod of respect to Mike "Cojones de Acero" Shanahan.

● Another nod for Graham Gano. That was a big-time money kick. It's been a very long time since a kicker has earned the trust and confidence of Redskins fans. Yeah, it's too soon to unreservedly take that plunge at this point, but this wasn't a bad downpayment. Not bad at all.

The Hold. I watched the final play of the game several times, anticipating the Cowboy fan perspective that the Barron holding penalty didn't affect the play. Happily, if for no other reason than my own peace of mind and sense of justice, that wasn't the case...

CLICK HERE to read more

Last edited:
Nice. The FG attempt is a disaster decision if it fails, but I get the sense MS is plenty confident in Gano, which is an oddity around here. He must have felt strongly he'd make that kick.

I'm most pleased that I sensed an attitude and a completeness to the game, despite the gaffs. It's been a long time since I felt like the team brought a full, determined effort for 4 quarters. That will win you some games you probably should lose. And I'll take every stinking one of them. Not so sure my heart will, though. ;)

Sellers better get some of that Clifford Franklin stickum. The fullback catching the ball out of the backfield is a big part of the Shanahan offense. Love the idea of sending them some new receiver gloves. I bought some for my son and he loves them. Doesn't drop anything in practice so I have to wonder why the stupid coach never throws to him but that's another story.

Anthony Armstrong......I said it once and I'll say it again.....what a shame he couldn't make his first official NFL catch a TD. You simply CAN'T drop a perfect DM5 pass in the endzone. Even worse, when I saw the way they lined up, even I knew they were gonna run the same play again. Can't say the same for Mike Jenkins as he got his hand in there a little early but I hated running the same play twice in a row. Chalk that one up to Shanahan arrogance.

For once I'll agree with Mike (and no that wasn't an earthquake). It WAS a tough catch for Carlos but it still bugs me that he couldn't even get both hands on it. I expect us to do a much better job of holding on to the ball this week.

I also questioned the FG attempt at the end of the game but I understood getting Sundberg, Bidwell and Gano some confidence after the botched attempt earlier. The trust he put in them will go a long way the rest of the season. The fact that they delivered was HUGE! That kick would have been good from 55-57 yards. VERY nice!

I have to disagree. You DO invite Conan to tea and crumpets. But you dont ask him "what is good in life?" because the answer is not something you are ready to handle.
I have to see your disagreement and raise you "nuh-uh."

Have you seen Conan's fingers for god's sake? He'd shatter the little handle thingy trying to stick one through there and spill hot tea all over the carpet. Not a pretty picture.

I still think Carlos' past drops is the reason he is given no slack here for that one. I know he could and we all wanted him to catch it but I dont think it was that easy.
Guess we'd have to define "that easy." To me, for an NFL cornerback that play was maybe a 7 out of 10 in the Difficulty Scale. He needs to make that catch in that crucial situation. Past gaffes definitely make it easier to be mad the man, but even then...in this case it was a game-clinching play, right in his hands. He simply has to make that catch. I'd be mad at Darrell Green for missing that one too.

Of course, he wouldn't have. Which I guess is the point. :cool:

Gano..when a kicker would kick outside of 35 yds I would always cover my eyes and put my head down until the kick was over. Sunday I watched those balls sail beautifully thru the air and split the uprights and I felt whole again.
Shazzam.

Sellers better get some of that Clifford Franklin stickum. The fullback catching the ball out of the backfield is a big part of the Shanahan offense. Love the idea of sending them some new receiver gloves. I bought some for my son and he loves them. Doesn't drop anything in practice so I have to wonder why the stupid coach never throws to him but that's another story.
Mike hasn't held on to a ball at ALL the last couple of years. Looks to me like it's in his head now, he's tentative and thinking about it instead of just playing the game angry and instinctively like a man his size should. Kills me, because I LOVE the idea of this beast turning the corner and trucking defensive backs. He's just lost his mojo.

Anthony Armstrong......I said it once and I'll say it again.....what a shame he couldn't make his first official NFL catch a TD. You simply CAN'T drop a perfect DM5 pass in the endzone. Even worse, when I saw the way they lined up, even I knew they were gonna run the same play again. Can't say the same for Mike Jenkins as he got his hand in there a little early but I hated running the same play twice in a row. Chalk that one up to Shanahan arrogance.
Ditto on both counts.

For once I'll agree with Mike (and no that wasn't an earthquake). It WAS a tough catch for Carlos but it still bugs me that he couldn't even get both hands on it. I expect us to do a much better job of holding on to the ball this week.
It wasn't that hard. He has to make that catch.

Not to repeat myself or anything. :)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0Cc-QDjCFY[/media]

I also questioned the FG attempt at the end of the game but I understood getting Sundberg, Bidwell and Gano some confidence after the botched attempt earlier. The trust he put in them will go a long way the rest of the season. The fact that they delivered was HUGE! That kick would have been good from 55-57 yards. VERY nice!
Of course, like you, if/when Gano lines up for a 47-yarder with us trailing by a point with 13 seconds left on Sunday...I'm going to be watching through my fingers and not breathing. It'll be a while before that changes, I think.

should have caught it..90% chance he drops it from the ground anyways. he landed on his side VERY hard and I dont think he would have held on.

nice vid pick!!

Come on Mike, that ball should have been caught! No excuses. He's a pro athlete who is supposed to make those types of plays. I still like having Los on the edge, I think he is more than capable of handling a majority of the Receivers in this league, but he HAS to come down with that ball.

It wasn't that hard. He has to make that catch.

Not to repeat myself or anything. :)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0Cc-QDjCFY[/media]

I can't say the catch wasn't that hard. It's more like it shouldn't have been that hard. He turned his body and jumped too soon, so I imagine that threw him off a bit, making the catch more difficult, especially for a guy with hands of stone. Still probably should have had it but that last replay makes it look like the ball never touched his left hand. That just makes the play all the uglier. You'd think 60% of NFL DB's would have made the INT. The percentage might be higher had they been jumping from the same exact spot as Carlos. OUCH!

Of course, like you, if/when Gano lines up for a 47-yarder with us trailing by a point with 13 seconds left on Sunday...I'm going to be watching through my fingers and not breathing. It'll be a while before that changes, I think

I think that's a conditioned response for any kick over 40 yards during the last several seasons. We haven't had a kicker worthy of sniffing the Pro Bowl since Chip Lohmiller.

I don't want to jinx him but Gano has never missed a kick for the Skins during a regular season game. OK, so he's only attempted six FG's but we have to start somewhere. ;)

Here's the clincher. Suisham was 18 out of 21 last year before we cut him. A great percentage until you consider (I hope I'm remembering this correctly) only one of the kicks he missed was over 40 yards. We won't even talk about the one that got him cut. I'm thinking he has a job still had he made that one.

For the record I'm with Mike on this one.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

I'm w/Mike on this...and note that had the situation been a wee bit different...for example Rogers closing on a wide open receiver at the last moment and knocking the ball down ...everyone would be singing his praises FOR THE SAME OUTCOME.

After watching this a few times-maybe he should have been able to get both hands on the ball but I don't think he would have been able to retain posession after he hit the ground. I doubt if any of our WRs could have given the same take-off point and body momentum Carlos had, with the possible exception of Moss-or, again, maybe Armstrong. I'm inclined to give 'ol Stone Hands a pass on this one.

Carlos should've had that interception. Darrell Green makes that play. Sean Taylor makes that play. Ditto for Todd Bowles, Curtis Jordan, Brad Edwards, Ryan Clark, Matt Stevens (yes, Stevens can catch better than 'Los) and Butterfinger The Wonder Poodle.

Still wondering why 'Los hasn't been signed to a long term deal? You now have your answer. If that was one on one coverage, a decent toss yields six points. He's not even 50-50 Gardner right now.

Last edited:
I'm w/Mike on this...and note that had the situation been a wee bit different...for example Rogers closing on a wide open receiver at the last moment and knocking the ball down ...everyone would be singing his praises FOR THE SAME OUTCOME.

I think this is fallacious reasoning since a simple batted down pass would not have ended the game like an INT would have in this situation. If this were indeed the last play of the game, a simple batted down pass would have been ideal. But the game didn't end here. It could have. He went up too soon and created a more difficult catch than he had too, a catch that he still should have made. He should have ended the game right there!

Trust me, I was happy to see the pass was not completed to a Dallas' receiver, but it is frustrating watching the game continue when it should have ended right there. Just like the failed 3rd and 7 conversion that would/should have been a rather simple 3rd and 2 if it weren't for the rookie mistake or Phillip Buchanon completely blowing his coverage on 4th down in that same drive.

Bottom line: This has been one of the best weeks following a Redskins' football game I can remember in years! I have been reveling in it all week long. I am not complaining at all! I just don't want to have a heart attack when I see a Dallas rec'vr catch the ball in the end zone to win the game only to see the flag and subsequent hold call that gave us the win. :)

That is an easy catch. He spots the ball early, gets his body turned and meets the ball. There really is no excuse for not catching it in the air. I think it would have been tough to hold onto when he hit the ground, but he should not have bobbled it. I've watched and paused that video a dozen times and I can't justify him bobbling it so badly.

I think this is fallacious reasoning since a simple batted down pass would not have ended the game like an INT would have in this situation. If this were indeed the last play of the game, a simple batted down pass would have been ideal. But the game didn't end here. It could have. He went up too soon and created a more difficult catch than he had too, a catch that he still should have made. He should have ended the game right there!

Trust me, I was happy to see the pass was not completed to a Dallas' receiver, but it is frustrating watching the game continue when it should have ended right there. Just like the failed 3rd and 7 conversion that would/should have been a rather simple 3rd and 2 if it weren't for the rookie mistake or Phillip Buchanon completely blowing his coverage on 4th down in that same drive.

Bottom line: This has been one of the best weeks following a Redskins' football game I can remember in years! I have been reveling in it all week long. I am not complaining at all! I just don't want to have a heart attack when I see a Dallas rec'vr catch the ball in the end zone to win the game only to see the flag and subsequent hold call that gave us the win. :)

The idea I'm introducing is that this isn't a binary outcome space. Yes...an INT would be nice. And since we're playing coulda, woulda, shoulda....you don't know if an INT ends the game or not. fumbles and mishaps do happen. But the options were - INT, break up the pass, complete the pass. I'm stating the obvious which you appear to agree with - breaking up the play was a good thing.

The ideal rarely happens. Football at its very essence is about adapting. it happens on every play, in every personal battle, in every successive play call.

The idea I'm introducing is that this isn't a binary outcome space. Yes...an INT would be nice. And since we're playing coulda, woulda, shoulda....you don't know if an INT ends the game or not. fumbles and mishaps do happen. But the options were - INT, break up the pass, complete the pass. I'm stating the obvious which you appear to agree with - breaking up the play was a good thing.

The ideal rarely happens. Football at its very essence is about adapting. it happens on every play, in every personal battle, in every successive play call.

Hmmm......interesting. Apparently, some of our modes of thinking are much more similar than I had suspected, fansince. Fascinating.

This is exactly why they spend hour upon hour practicing for such a situation. But, it's over now and I have reveled long enough. It is time to move forward to the Houston Texans!

HTTR!

This is exactly why they spend hour upon hour practicing for such a situation. But, it's over now and I have reveled long enough. It is time to move forward to the Houston Texans!

HTTR!

I will revel over beating the Cowgirls and enjoy it until next time we meet them. I root for their continued failure. :claps:

I will revel over beating the Cowgirls and enjoy it until next time we meet them. I root for their continued failure. :claps:

Oh that doesn't mean I won't enjoy watching their offensive line SUCK! LOL! Their demise is one of the more enjoyable things in life! :)

Let's see, they play the Bears next...hmmmm....Julius Peppers....

I wonder if either Romo or Barron has seen the clip of the shot he gave Stafford......hmmm? :evil:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.