• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Portis makes me laugh.....

Wait wait wait...I'm someone who thinks this is getting blown out of proportion, but I definitely don't agree that her hotness is part of the problem. So chick reporters should all be ugly? Is it Erin Andrews' fault some guy filmed her changing because she is so hot? I think you're way off base here.

Mike also has a good point (or is it Dave Chappelle's point? ;)) - if she wants professional respect, then dress in a suit or sweater or something like Andrews' often does. Don't wear skin-tight jeans and a cleavagey shirt and expect the utmost respect.

It is a problem when a hot chick is dressed like she's trolling for men, and is introduced into a group of guys, so the second part of you post is spot on.

It is a problem when a hot chick is dressed like she's trolling for men, and is introduced into a group of guys, so the second part of you post is spot on.

let's put the thought into its correct language: when a woman dresses like a sexual object...she shouldn't be surprised if she is seen as one. same for men.

let's put the thought into its correct language: when a woman dresses like a sexual object...she shouldn't be surprised if she is seen as one. same for men.

The language is correct depending on your neighborhood, but I have no problem with you upgrade :)

same for men

I've never dressed like a sex object, but did have a women come up to me on my first day at a new company, and ask me my shoe size, and wanted to look at my hands.:paranoid:

This problem never would have occurred if she had just stayed in the kitchen where she belongs.

Preemptive- relax, it was just a joke :eek:ls:

When you flaunt your sexuality in order to garner attention, you forfeit the right to complain about receiving that attention.

respect for what?

A female human being.

The reality of women being allowed in the locker room is a fact that requires adjustments in behavior-regardless of how the woman is dressed.

Solely my opinion. Check my sig-that's how I approach just about everything.

I'm a smoker. I cannot smoke in restaurants. Do I bitch? No, I smoke elswhere.

Respect.

Attention whores usually get the attention they seek.

The easy solution, already stated in this thread, is to remove ALL media people from the locker room. It's that simple.

A female human being.

The reality of women being allowed in the locker room is a fact that requires adjustments in behavior-regardless of how the woman is dressed.

Respect.

Serv, I respect your opinion. It's the mindset, and it's not just you I'm talkin about. It's the mindset that the vast majority has to change to please the minority. It's everywhere in life these days. Why in hell do hundreds of men have to change behavior for a handful of women ? I'm not saying I condone harassment, but from what she says, the comments weren't anything I would call sexually harassing, or even threatening.

When she went into the team's locker room to interview QB Mark Sanchez, who has Mexican heritage, she said she heard comments from players such as "Oh my goodness she's here," and "OK, I want to be Mexican."

"I am not the one who made the charge and who says I feel uncomfortable," she told ABC.

Sounds like somebody is running with it, as it's seen as an opportunity. She getting more press then she could have ever have wished for. Hmm maybe a job with one of the big networks is in the near future ?

Mexican TV reporter Ines Sainz: 'I'm not sure' Jets players acted inappropriately

A female human being.

Respect.

well. that is one way of looking at things. I'll "respect" your point-of-view.....while objecting to the obvious relativism in that position and noting that there is no blanket rule of social life to the effect that everything must be respected because it strikes one group as "equitable" or "right". that's precisely where the struggle falls.

I personally find the whole matter laughable: we live in a society that is in sexual hyperdrive (hell...a sitting President was almost impeached because of what was afterall sexual harassment), Hollywood, oddvertising, the media, Facebook, kids television....Botox Nancy.....Lady Gag Gag.....whole drug industries dedicated to...errr.....extending male members well into their 60s and 70s....rap music/hip hop booty calls.....it's all about youth and sex. it's EVERYWHERE. the clowns who want to set the standards nevertheless object when this social REALITY (they largely created) conflicts with other cherished norms they are trying to legislate. it's comical and sad at the same time.

I'll show some respect not because some ruling class fascist legislator or Hollywood a-hole feels it's the politically correct thing to do, but when IT IS EARNED.

Last edited by a moderator:
I figured this might blow up after my last post. Let me explain, a lot of this comes from my upbringing and environment. I was raised to act in a certain manner around women from my childhood and my adult male relatives were too-and their behavior showed it. When my uncles and older cousins and I were at a family gathering we'd stand arond and swap lewd jokes and whatnot and laugh ourselves silly...until a woman or girl came into the group. She didn't have to be related, any woman who came within earshot would cause an automatic change in both demeanor and conversation. The lewd jokes stopped...period. There were just ways you did and did not act when women were present-and a lot of this has stuck with me. To this day, I don't tell "dirty" jokes or make lewd comments to women...unless they start first-then things change. But I have to have a sign that they're o.k. with it-I can't just assume I have a "right" to talk however I want whether a woman is present or not.

At the high-school I attended you could eat lunch in the gym. Sometimes the girl's gym class was going on simultaneously and as the girls headed off the gym floor for the showers some of them would, it was pretty much assumed deliberately, start disrobing just before they got to the door to the locker room. Usually nobody said much as long as the bra wasn't off. A couple of 'em got in trouble by undressing too much too quickly-but heaven help any guy who said anything inappropriate no matter what. Guaranteed visit with the principal and multiple detentions and a guidance counselor visit on that one.

It's just how I was raised-and-at least partly-why it makes me uncomfortable to this day.

The other thing is adjusting to reality. Cigarette smoking has been declining in public acceptability for half a century. I stopped smoking in public places long before any local laws were put in place regulating it because I wish to avoid offending others more than clinging to my prerceived "right" to smoke wherever and whenever I damn well pleased no matter who it offended. That's just how I approach things. It has in the same time period become less socially acceptable to make comments objectifying women-especially in front of them-and the assumed "right" to make them in front of them is one I just don't buy. They start making lewd talk-let fly, but until they do, is really it too much to ask to hold your tongue for a little while?

Again, and to emphasize, this is only my opinion and I in no way am trying to impose it on anyone else. If you disagree with me, I'm cool with that. I hope you are too.

I figured this might blow up after my last post. Let me explain, a lot of this comes from my upbringing and environment. I was raised to act in a certain manner around women from my childhood and my adult male relatives were too-and their behavior showed it. When my uncles and older cousins and I were at a family gathering we'd stand arond and swap lewd jokes and whatnot and laugh ourselves silly...until a woman or girl came into the group. She didn't have to be related, any woman who came within earshot would cause an automatic change in both demeanor and conversation. The lewd jokes stopped...period. There were just ways you did and did not act when women were present-and a lot of this has stuck with me. To this day, I don't tell "dirty" jokes or make lewd comments to women...unless they start first-then things change. But I have to have a sign that they're o.k. with it-I can't just assume I have a "right" to talk however I want whether a woman is present or not.

At the high-school I attended you could eat lunch in the gym. Sometimes the girl's gym class was going on simultaneously and as the girls headed off the gym floor for the showers some of them would, it was pretty much assumed deliberately, start disrobing just before they got to the door to the locker room. Usually nobody said much as long as the bra wasn't off. A couple of 'em got in trouble by undressing too much too quickly-but heaven help any guy who said anything inappropriate no matter what. Guaranteed visit with the principal and multiple detentions and a guidance counselor visit on that one.

It's just how I was raised-and-at least partly-why it makes me uncomfortable to this day.

The other thing is adjusting to reality. Cigarette smoking has been declining in public acceptability for half a century. I stopped smoking in public places long before any local laws were put in place regulating it because I wish to avoid offending others more than clinging to my prerceived "right" to smoke wherever and whenever I damn well pleased no matter who it offended. That's just how I approach things. It has in the same time period become less socially acceptable to make comments objectifying women-especially in front of them-and the assumed "right" to make them in front of them is one I just don't buy. They start making lewd talk-let fly, but until they do, is really it too much to ask to hold your tongue for a little while?

Again, and to emphasize, this is only my opinion and I in no way am trying to impose it on anyone else. If you disagree with me, I'm cool with that. I hope you are too.

Serv..I value you as a fellow BGO bubba and appreciate the added detail. You know who you are and where you stand. I'm built the same way - gonna stake out where I live intellectually and that's it - take it or leave it. even though I might disgree with you at times...I know full well we would all be the poorer without strong inidividuals like yourself who stand up for what they believe in. as I have learned recently...many of us on this board (MIKE!) are similar in temperment and inner conviction!

Portis had every right to think what he said. Problem is you don't say it out loud. In today's PC world you have to be constantly aware. Problem is where does someone's rights end and mine begin.

Sexual harassment has broad interpretations. You have to be very careful in saying anything to someone of the opposite sex other than good morning. I don't like it, but its a way of life.

This reporter knew what she was doing by dressing the way she does. This story took legs (no pun intended) for a large part from way the Jets portrayed themselves on Hard Knocks.

So many wrongs on so many levels here. First, the reporter should have dressed more professional if wanted to be treated professional. Second, Portis has a way of saying things before he thinks. Just think back to when Vick was arrested and his respons. Portis pushed the envelope a little too far when talked about her looking at 53 guys packages and she had to see someone she wanted. Portis should have just said something about her being professional as well and then just shut up.

Serv..I value you as a fellow BGO bubba and appreciate the added detail. You know who you are and where you stand. I'm built the same way - gonna stake out where I live intellectually and that's it - take it or leave it. even though I might disgree with you at times...I know full well we would all be the poorer without strong inidividuals like yourself who stand up for what they believe in. as I have learned recently...many of us on this board (MIKE!) are similar in temperment and inner conviction!

On this, fansince62, we are in wholehearted 1005 agreement and send the same back to you. I know that on the truly Important Stuff-cheering ourselves hoarse whenever the Redskins take the field-we are as one. Hail, brother!:2thumbsup:

...But I have to have a sign that they're o.k. with it...
Some, or at least myself, can easily see where a woman, dressed provocatively, and freely entering a room where there is a strong likelihood that naked men might be about, is a sign, "that they're o.k. with it". Or at the very least, expect it, and therefore accept it as part of the deal.

And Portis, along with anybody else, should be able to say exactly what he wishes to. Provided he can handle whatever consequences that come with it.

I find myself agreeing with serv - I was raised to respect women to the utmost degree also, and generally will only say "DAYYYUUMMM" about a female if she is out of earshot. I have never and will never be the guy who catcalls or whistles (only to friends, as a joke).

That being said...is it reasonable to expect everyone to act this way, especially in a situation like this? I dunno...but I do think its being overblown. Its not like it was a Lisa Olson situation or anything.

I wholeheartedly agree the catcalls/comments were out of line. I'd hate it if the Skins did something like that. Portis didn't really do that though. While he didn't articulate it very well, I still think the point was about human nature. If she wears that type of clothing into the Locker Room, every guy is gonna look. By the same token, guys that are half-naked are likely to catch her eye. That certainly doesn't mean she'll say anything but I'm pretty certain she's stolen a glance or three.

Nothing Portis said was inaccurate but the NFL has to play the PC game. That's just the way it is. If Goodell and his minions REALLY want to put a stop to any future women-in-the-locker-room controversies, they'll have to stand up to the networks and get rid of locker room interviews altogether. The networks want them. I kinda doubt the league or the players do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.