• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

We were outplayed

Henry

I drink and I know things
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Our offense was pretty lousy. We have one decent WR and he's only just ok. We have no running game to speak of. Our defense looks confused a lot. We were out-gained by 100 yards and only won thanks to a series of gifts from a terribly coached Cowboy team that is loaded with talent.

How marvelous. :)

I have to admit that I was expecting a 24-3 type loss last night. And even at halftime I only downgraded that to a 17-10 type loss. And even after that I downgraded it to a 14-13 type loss.

But however we won it, we won it. And even though it is clear this team isn't firing on all cylinders yet (or even has all it's cylinders yet) you take this win 10 times out of 10 and twice on Sunday and smile wide. You have to win ugly before you win pretty. And if you can do it over the Cowboys, who are gonna be pulling their hair out for weeks because of this game, so much the better. :D

The Redskins can be as lousy as you guys say and still beat the odds-on NFCE favorite? In their first game under a new coach, with new systems, new QB, etc.? And have had no less than 3-4 different game-ending play opportunities slip through their fingers so the ending is more dramatic than it need to be?

You and Al ... yer killin' me. :cool:

The Redskins can be as lousy as you guys say and still beat the odds-on NFCE favorite? In their first game under a new coach, with new systems, new QB, etc.? And have had no less than 3-4 different game-ending play opportunities slip through their fingers so the ending is more dramatic than it need to be?

maybe....but the point is the Boys lost cuz of a kucklehead at right tackle. not because our offense that scored zip TDs...again...or our defense that couldn't stop em on that final drive prevailed. the good point - as Henry implies - is that we would have been walloped in a game like this last year. so...things are looking up. but they are not sustainable through 15 games. yes.....your thought that there is room to improve given the newness of all of this rings true. I have my doubts about the athleticism of the starting 3 on the d-line and believe this is a long-run achilles heel.....and agree with Henry that the receiving corps is also a liability at present....but there is time to gel.

anywho...felt good winning this game. no mistaking that.

My post was meant to be a positive one, I swear. I was exaggerating a bit to make my point, but maybe I need to use more smilies. :)

You will never ever hear me honestly complain after beating Dallas. I can promise you that.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Hey...bad teams don't have competent backups on the OL. :)

Don't get me wrong gents. Last thing I'm suggesting is the Skins are "there." They aren't. It's going to take a at least one, probably two more offseasons to rebuild the disaster Cerrato left. I'll just take where we are right now with a smile on my face. We're going to scare some people this year, and it looks and feels to me like we're heading in a very positive direction.

Smiling this morning.

On this happy occasion, you guys are right. We'll be lucky to be 8-8 this year. As others have said, our receivers don't scare anyone and out RB's are average

That, added to the fact that we're starting a new offense and defense with new coaches..............

Next week against the Texans looks scary

Shanahan was saying after the game that it takes a while for this offense to come together. Let's be careful not to write off the receivers just yet...that was a pretty good defense they faced last night, in their very first game. We don't have Batman and Robin out there, no, but I suspect over the next few weeks we're going to start seeing DMac find numbers other than 89 and 47.

Don't get me wrong gents. Last thing I'm suggesting is the Skins are "there." They aren't. It's going to take a at least one, probably two more offseasons to rebuild the disaster Cerrato left. I'll just take where we are right now with a smile on my face. We're going to scare some people this year, and it looks and feels to me like we're heading in a very positive direction.

Smiling this morning.

I agree completely. As usual you say it better. :)

I cry no tears for Dallas' OL problems. Most teams are going to have a weakness or two to cover. We did a very good job of exploiting theirs. Those holding calls weren't gifts. We earned them.

I am worried about our WRs. IMHO that's going to be our weak link this year. But it is what it is.

While very happy this morning, two things concern me.

The first one has been brought up here this morning. Namely that Moss and Cooley are the only two guys who seem to be on the same page with McNabb. Granted, if I could only pick two guys to be on that page with him, it would be those two guys, but we have seen how this offense works with only two receivers contributing and while McNabb maybe an upgrade over Campbell, nothing will change dramatically if someone else doesn't stand up.

The second thing is even more worrisome, I think. The defense gave up 4.7 yards per rush. That is seriously scary to me, especially watching the highlights of how the Texans beat the Colts yesterday and know they are coming to town next week. That number has got to come down and in a hurry.

On a brighter note, I was thrilled with Trent Williams and Jamaal Brown last night. One sack and nine tackles for Ware and Spencer combined. That is a win right there, folks. And even Heyer did a credible job when he came in the game for the while.

Last edited:
I'm hoping the run defense will improve as the team adapts to the new scheme. Otherwise that will be a huge problem this year.

Smiling this morning.

no argument here!

I attempted to provide fair warning before this game was even played. Unfortunately, or fortunately as the case may be, I was correct on several accounts. Knowing it would be yet another of those damn Redskins-Cowboys nail-biters, I ended up taking my Motrin not long after the 4th quarter started.

While I was a bit disappointed in McNabb, but he wasn't all bad. Armstrong ran the same exact play twice in a row and BOTH times beat Jenkins. The first time he dropped it, which was a damn shame because not many guys get a TD on their first NFL reception. The pass was PERFECT. The 2nd one would have been called interference had they been playing Sunday afternoon on regional TV. The point is, McNabb made a couple of nice passes and Armstrong just might be a keeper. And yes, Malcolm Kelly would likely have caught the fade for a TD. ;)

It's a work in progress, as we all knew it would be. I think too many of you guys are suffering from the "guilty victory" hangover. For those of you who remember it, think back to the 35-34 loss to Dallas in 1979. Remember how Dallas came back at the end of the game and threw a TD to Tony Hill in the closing seconds? That game STILL haunts me. What if Hill had dropped that pass and the Skins had won that game? Would you be looking back thinking we won because of their mistake or because, on that day, we were the better team?

I think you'll realize were WERE the better team last night. We shot ourselves in the foot, negating big plays or extended drives, just as often as Dallas did. Defensively, we blew coverages and missed tackles yet still won the game. We exploited mismatches like putting Rak on Alex Barron's side. We hit guys hard and made them remember those hits. We put guys in position to succeed (see Laron Landry). Mistakes are made all game long. It seems like the only ones that get remembered are the ones that result in points for the other team or the ones that occur at the end of the game.

I would have LOVED to have blown them out and made a statement to the rest of the NFL but, as Shane Falco said, "that just wouldn't be our style. Pain heals, chicks dig scars and glory.....lasts forever". A win is a win, no matter how ugly. It's still a successful start to the Shanahan era and I think we saw enough glimpses to believe things will continue to get better. Besides, if other teams think we're lucky, we'll continue to sneak up on them.

Yep, we may lose to the Texans but then again, we may not. Under Zorn, we would be 0-1 and dreading next week. I'm looking forward to it, once again having no freaking clue what to expect. It's kinda fun. :cheers:

Last edited:
Bravo, Jimbo! Couldn't have said it better myself. We are a work in progress and we had a HUGE win last night. Ugly, yes, but a win against a team many are touting for the SB. Our offense needs time to gel, and playing the first game against a stout defense makes that harder. And our defense held the Dallas offense to one score. We deserved to win the game because of our defense and special teams play, and just enough offense to finish it off. We've got to improve, but for all the changes that happened this off season, it was a great start.

There was a lot of sloppy football played this weekend and the game last night was no exception. I expect we’ll play better as the season goes on. Houston is coming off a big win against the Colts and may be due for a bit of a letdown. Of course if they run the ball with the same conviction they did against the Colts, it could be a long day. That’s a discussion for later in the week though. Let's take a day or two to enjoy the W.

Here are a couple of random thoughts:

Haynesworth did NOTHING in his time in the game last night. Zip zilch zero. I feel a lot better about just cutting him loose completely now than I did a week ago. If he’s not going to even contribute in the slightest then it’s a no brainer. He was either out of position or getting blown off the ball every time I concentrated on him last night.

Devin Thomas looked good on returns, very good.

McNabb has a decent throwing pocket most of the night except when they brought the house. They wanted to make him stand in the pocket and beat them with his arm. Obviously he's at his best on the move. They only let him get away with that once.

I thought we ran too many stretch plays last night. Dallas’ D is fast and undersized. We need to run North/South against that type of defense not East/West.

Portis still has the desire to play good football. His pass blocking was out-freaking-standing and I think we probably should have fed him the ball a bit more in the 2nd half.

Larry Johnson did not show me much. He didn't seem to have any burst.

Trent Williams played a great game. Run blocking was outstanding and against one of the premier pass rushers in the league he was only beat once. Not bad at all.

Stop running pass plays for Mike Sellers! He had three balls thrown his way last night and he caught one.

Orakpo was getting held just about every time he rushed the QB.

I don't think anyone is unhappy, Mike. I'm not.

I do admit to being concerned but I can do that and be happy at the same time.

Take away the bad punt and Dallas has a goose egg last night. To me, that is not good - it's great! Alex von Barron Holder (his name deserves to be in the "higher case" letters, lol) was holding on a vast majority of the plays last night. If not, we have six or seven sacks - easily. To me, that is not good - it's great! Yes, the D bent a little here and there, but they did not break. In fact, they were awesome against a high-powered offense.

Donovan McNabb provided superb leadership that has been sorely lacking for many years. A Jason Campbell panics in several situations last night and costs the team this game. McNabb got the job done when it counted and didn't make the mistakes that we have come to expect. To me, that is not good - it's great! The offense will improve and the Mike/Kyle/Donovan show will be fine.

Special teams did a great job as well (minus the one bad punt) and we have a kicker. Let me say it again - we have a kicker. The snapper will be fine - first game jitters, but did well on the other snaps.

I do agree on Galloway, but we have an ace up the sleeve. Don't be surprised if Devin Thomas finally "gets it" and is able to start soon. He can have a solid season. Moss, Thomas, Armstrong, Cooley, and Davis will become a strength - just wait and see.

We are a good team and we have a few kinks to work out as well. Just think where the Redskins will be after another off-season or two. The future is bright, but the present looks mighty fine as well. Enjoy it and enjoy this victory for the remainder of the week. Next up - Houston. Dononvan gets to do a "Texas Two Step" to start the season. :)

After last night I see the glass as half full. I was impressed with the intensity and speed that the Redskins showed. It just looked like we were playing to win versus not to lose (like past couple of years).

Not sure if lack of running game was due to our RB's and OL or the Dallas D. They ran a lot of run blitzes and seem to say McNabb you beat us.

We're not the best team, but far from the worst. I saw a team that displayed chemistry and fight. During Gibbs 1 we weren't always the most talented team, but we did play hard and disciplined...much like last night.

Our D did give up a lot of yards, but only 7 points. I'll take an effort like last night anytime. I think Dez Bryant got a welcome to the NFL with some hits we put on him.

I tickled as hell this morning. We won our opener, which beating the Cowboys only makes it sweeter. The look on Phillips face several times was priceless.

HTTR

Getting at what's underlying a lot of this, it's quite difficult to know where we stand as there's so little track record for both us and Dallas at this point -- particularly when, in our case, you look at how much change there's been since last year --

Was our fantastic offense stymied by what may lead to be the NFL's leading defense?

Was our opportunistic defensive play a window into where this team's D will be this season after shutting down what could turn out to be the NFL's leading offense?

Really, really hard to know after one game.

We have a fundamentally new system, players and QB. That's a lot of variables.

We won on the back of some flukey plays, but some of that luck came out of really strong defensive efforts.

(Obviously) I think we'll know a lot more about this game and its implications as the next few weeks unfold.

I'm cautiously optimistic. :)

After watching yet ANOTHER replay of it, I will make one complaint/observation. While Carlos Rogers had some nice ups last night, it's really hard to make a pick when he couldn't even get BOTH hands on a ball coming straight at him. Brother Boone has predicted Carlos will set a personal record for INT's this year. After watching that effort, I'm not so sure. :annoyed:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.