• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Do you know what started the Skins/Boys rivalry?

Cycleans

The Starter
Reaction score
Originally, the formation of an NFL expansion team in Texas was met with strong opposition by Washington Redskins owner George Preston Marshall. This came as little surprise to the would-be Dallas team owners, Clint Murchison, Jr. and Bedford Wynne, for Marshall's Redskins had enjoyed a monopoly as the only NFL team to represent the Southern States of the US for several decades. To ensure the birth of their expansion team, the men bought the rights to the Redskins fight song, "Hail to the Redskins" and threatened to refuse to allow Marshall to play the song at games. Needing the song, which was a staple for his "professional football team of Dixie," Marshall capitulated, and the city of Dallas, Texas, was granted an NFL franchise on January 28, 1960. [8] This early confrontation between the two franchises was an omen of what would become one of the more significant rivalries in the NFL, which continues to this day. [9]

I copied and pasted this from an online article I found. I wanted to get the facts straight. I found out about several years ago but have been a Skins fan since 72. Its not a well know sports fact actually.

Yes this is a very little known fact.... a true gauge to see Redskins fandom!

Another interesting tidbit... our very own former defensive coordinator Greg Blache was the defensive coach at Notre Dame when Rudy was there...

Another little known fact...

The Redskins marching band was originally a community band sponsored by a local dairy farm. GPM hired them on, and the rest is history.

Continuing with perhaps little-known facts, I read that after the AFL-NFL merger that formed the two conferences, the NFC had a difficult time determining how the divisions would be comprised. Apparently five plans were written down on different pieces of paper and one was drawn from a hat by Pete Rozelle's secretary. Apparently the one that was drawn was the only one that had Minnesota in the NFC Central.

In other words, its quite possible that, if not for dumb luck, we wouldn't have played the Cowboys twice per season all these years.

Of course, the real truth is not known to most, since the NFL couldn't stand the bad publicity.

Seems the Cowboys original team members belonged to a cult, who believed in sacrificing infant children to please their imaginary "God of Whore".
(Pronounced, war, by the cult)

Just before our first game against them, the Redskins players discovered the location where the kidnapped infants, awaiting mutilation, were being held. They successfully rescued the children, but were not allowed to expose the Cowboys as the wretched, inhuman, maggots that they were, are, and will always be, because the Cowboy owner paid off the NFL.

So, in short, they hate us because we don't let them kill children anymore. And we hate them because they are wretched, inhuman, maggots, who, to this very day, enjoy paid protection from the NFL.

They also gave smallpox-infested blankets to the Indians.

Murdering bastards.

Now if you want to go one step farther, it was George Allen who really brought the rivalry to a head. He used the boys as kindling to feed the flames of "us against them" like a master, accusing them of spying on team practices, and, according to some, spying on them himself. The boys were the big kid on the block in the East, so taking them as the rival gave everyone the mindset that the Skins were the equals of the boys.

Originally, the formation of an NFL expansion team in Texas was met with strong opposition by Washington Redskins owner George Preston Marshall. This came as little surprise to the would-be Dallas team owners, Clint Murchison, Jr. and Bedford Wynne, for Marshall's Redskins had enjoyed a monopoly as the only NFL team to represent the Southern States of the US for several decades. To ensure the birth of their expansion team, the men bought the rights to the Redskins fight song, "Hail to the Redskins" and threatened to refuse to allow Marshall to play the song at games. Needing the song, which was a staple for his "professional football team of Dixie," Marshall capitulated, and the city of Dallas, Texas, was granted an NFL franchise on January 28, 1960. [8] This early confrontation between the two franchises was an omen of what would become one of the more significant rivalries in the NFL, which continues to this day. [9]

I copied and pasted this from an online article I found. I wanted to get the facts straight. I found out about several years ago but have been a Skins fan since 72. Its not a well know sports fact actually.

Gerald362's post is what I remember. Allen and the Redskins were blue collar guys and Dallas was the pretty boys with the title America's team.

Allen is really credited with stoking the rivalry. He was the one that thought the Cowboys had spies in nearby hotels watching practice.

So true.. I have a book written by Marshall's wife that talks about this very thing. My brother found it somewhere in some used bookstore and bought it for me one Christmas (he always finds neat old Redskin stuff for me). (I'll be posting pics of my Redskins room as promised soon... while it will NEVER be finished as things will always be added, the "foundation" is just about done and if I do say so myself, it looks pretty darn good.. just as a teaser I have attached a couple pictures. The first is of an old frame with a #33 jersey hanging on it... my niece got at a yard sale. For 50 cents. The weekend AFTER Sammy Baugh died. I have my dad's picture in that now. One of the mirror above my fireplace. And one of the walls above my big screen TV (which among other things is an original pic from Nate Fine's collection from Superbowl 17, a pic of me and Gibbs autographed and a pic of me and Cooley autographed.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.