• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

NCAA Football discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jugband McGillicuddy

The Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Military Branch
Army
Rival Allegiance
Alma Mater
Marshall
If we have a thread on the topic already, I'm apparently too stoopit to find it. Anyway, just thought we should have a running thread for discussion of all things college football. (And of course, if it DOES already exist, please close this, and kindly redirect me. TIA!)

Unforunately for me, I need to kick this off on a heartbreakingly down note. The Mountaineers ripped my ever-lovin' guts out tonight, stringing together two 90-plus yard touchdowns, and a two-point conversion to tie Marshall, before winning on a FG (and missed Herd FG) in overtime.

While it's taken me a couple of hours to get over the tension, agitation, and sheer disappointment, I'm actually pretty happy with the way we played. The defense was great for 3 1/2 quarters, and IMO, it was the dadgum prevent defense that allowed WVU to hit underneath routes and ultimately crush our dream in the end.

I think Marshall football is in good hands. Doc Holliday is going to be a very good head coach, and I think once the fanbase recovers, Edwards Stadium will really be energized by the knowledge that we can play with (and probably should've beaten) the Mountaineers. I think we'll do just fine in the C-USA schedule. And I never expected to beat Ohio St. or WVU anyway.

It's tough to think about what we lost tonight though. Not just the game, but the chance to maybe pull an in-state kid or two away from those guys in Morgantown. Granted WV isn't really a big state in terms of blue chip players, but it'd be nice to be able to go into kids living rooms and say, "Come here instead. We beat them last year."

Anyway, as I said, very tough loss. One of the toughest I can remember for the Herd. But we're getting better, and it's going to get even better from here.

All of that rambling out of the way, pass the tissues. I'm not quite over this one yet. :frown2: ;)

Big game for my Nittany Lions tomorrow night. I don't expect a win at all, especially with a true freshman at QB who is starting his 2nd game ever. I just hope we can keep it close and it doesn't hurt us too much in the rankings.

Man, hog - I got off the plane with the score 21-6, thinking no way WVU comes back. Then when I got to the bar later, I heard the news. Turrible!

And that VT/JMU game was a little ridiculous.

The wife told my kids to go ahead and ask me for anything they want tonight.

Apparently, I looked giddy.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Well, as we have been talking Redskins' football, the NCAA is shaping up to have an interesting season this year.

My FSU Seminoles are facing the #1 ranked Oklahoma Sooners Saturday Night. I have no illusions that FSU is inexperienced and young while OK is led by a very game Landry Jones! Go Noles!

The Terps, my favorite team until I graduated from FSU, face West Virginia this weekend. Edsall seems like a quality coach who genuinely cares about his kids, Under Armour is getting free advertising from their brilliant PR move to supply their Alma Mater with various different uniforms throughout the season, and the team is led by a very solid QB.

And Miami faces the #17 Ohio St Buckeyes this weekend. That should be an interesting match up! I hope Miami wins so it makes the Terps win against Miami more valuable in polling and when the Noles spank Miami later in the year.

Anyway, after the Baylor and TCU game, I knew this would be a great season of College football.

Go Noles!

Go Terps!

Every other game is just filler until LSU wins the National Championship. Have y'all seen how silly that defense is? They are fast & disciplined, and made Oregon look average. Tyrann Mathieu just might be better than Peterson was.

Case in point - Mississippi State was averaging 41 points a game, LSU held them to 6.

I like the 'Canes against the BEyes. OhSt looked entirely vulnerable against Toledo. 'Canes have to keep those turnovers in check, though. Just keep giving it to the running back. And WHY on EARTH are we starting Jacori?!? Makes me want to fire Golden, too. Prove me wrong Harris. Do it.

Yeah DS, though I am a Seminole, I think Miami can and should beat OSU this weekend.

Go Noles!

Go Terps!

Let's go Noles! Like the Redskins, it's time to get back on top.

Ugh! Not a good day for college football!

Terps lost!

Gators won...

FSU got beat! UGH!

youre basing LSU winning the championship off of Mississippi St?

please tell me you get that they arent even a national threat.

Nope, I'm basing it off their defense, which is ridiculous.

And Mississippi State was ranked 25th in the nation...how exactly does that qualify them as not a national threat?

because from 20 - 25 is ever shuffling and doesnt even come close to the top 5.

Either way, the week before they embarrassed an Oregon team who is definitely a national threat. And they aren't the same team without Cam, but Miss. St. beat Auburn as well (EDIT: misspoke, put up 34 points on Auburn, but lost by a touchdown).

Regardless, their defense is super fast, super athletic, and has stopped everything in front of them. Care to make a bet on how many points they give up in the next few weeks?

in other news...OSU falling out of the top 25 makes me laugh inside like a little school girl.

Agreed, hate Ohio State.

Last edited by a moderator:
Either way, the week before they embarrassed an Oregon team who is definitely a national threat. And they aren't the same team without Cam, but Miss. St. beat Auburn as well.

Umm...when did Mississippi State beat Auburn?

Get your facts straight! If you want to come in here and make claims like LSU will win the National Championship , you better make sure you know what you're talking about. In the above post, you prove you do not know as much as you think you do!

Umm...when did Mississippi State beat Auburn?

Get your facts straight! If you want to come in here and make claims like LSU will win the National Championship , you better make sure you know what you're talking about. In the above post, you prove you do not know as much as you think you do!

Care to put your money where your mouth is? Or a sig bet, perhaps (if you don't have the cojones)? Or are you gonna just follow me around and try your best to belittle me for every small error you can find? Because that's cool and all, I just want to know what I'm dealing with.

EDIT: but seriously, just put me on ignore if its the latter. Thanks in advance.

FSU played Oklahoma surprisingly close, I was impressed.

Small error? Your opinion is that LSU will win the National Championship suggesting it is fact To support you assertion, you claim Miss State beat Auburn. Umm...they played last week and Auburn won the game. That is no small error. Have you even watched an LSU game this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.