• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Where Will Earl Hit?

Elephant

The Commissioner
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Florida State
Having lived through three category 3 hurricanes in about 15 months while living in the West Palm Beach area, I know the destruction these acts of God can cause to a region built to withstand a great deal more than the areas potentially affected by Earl.

My prayers and thoughts go out to those in the North Carolina coast, the DelMarVa region, and up the Eastern Seaboard. If a Category 3 hits some of these places, there could be far more serious destruction than I saw since their infrastructures are less prepared for such storms. If this storm were to make it's way up the Chesapeake or slam into Long Island as a Cat 3 it could be devastating!

Stay safe and don't take chances. It is always better safe than sorry!

http://http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/at201007.html#a_topad

A level three is get out of town time for me. I went through a level 2 once in Biloxi, Ms and it wasn't toooo bad. What sucked was that as an airman I and others had to pick up the mess it left on base.

But a three is no joke. If you're in these areas I'd advise to skeedaddle

I'm keeping a close eye on Earl. The 11 AM had the eye about 200 miles east of Norfolk, which would be good for us. Looks like Hatteras and Outer Banks won't fare so well.

If Earl moves to the west than this area will have a problem. Isabel was a weak one when hit here and I had 16 inches of water in the business and no power for 12 days.

Problem is don't know if could evacuate in time. According to a local report, they estimate the drive from Hampton/Newport News area to Richmond would take 15 hours during an evacuation. I'd rather take my chances in my home.

I'm keeping a close eye on Earl. The 11 AM had the eye about 200 miles east of Norfolk, which would be good for us. Looks like Hatteras and Outer Banks won't fare so well.

If Earl moves to the west than this area will have a problem. Isabel was a weak one when hit here and I had 16 inches of water in the business and no power for 12 days.

Problem is don't know if could evacuate in time. According to a local report, they estimate the drive from Hampton/Newport News area to Richmond would take 15 hours during an evacuation. I'd rather take my chances in my home.

Take the back roads, rte 10 to Hopewell, 460 to Petersburg, etc. There are plenty of secondary and tertiary roads off those two arteries you could probably use.

My father worked for the Hampton VA Hospital before he retired in May, and told me they have already evacuated the vets there. Does not sound fun.

Good luck.

There are too many "ifs" with this storm. A 50-100 mile jog to the left and we'll be slammed. If front comes quick enough then will steer Earl out to sea.

Thought about that route, except those are the routes that Norfolk/ VA Beach area is suppose to use.

I don't like the evacuation routes. Why head west and north when chances are a storm will impact those areas as well. If need to be safe then I would head towards Durham and away from where storm coming from or headed.

This storm has me concerned. Like suggested above, one jog left and this thing could feed into the mouth of the Chesapeake. If that is the case there is going to be significant destruction! Earl picked up steam over night.

I'm staying put. we'll be ok in Chesapeake.

I'm thinkin playin a round tomorrow - downwind holes only!!!!

One piece of good news, Earl is headed North. Now if it will just start a N-NE track I will feel a little better.

Lump, how are the winds down there? The rain?

Luckily Earl stayed far enough offshore to only bring a little rain to my area. Hatteras and Outer Banks took a harder hit, but not as bad as could have been.

Very rare to see a Cat 4 or strong 3 this far north. Had it come ashore between Hatteras and VA it would have been devastating.

Where I live is 16-18 feet above sea level. Looked at a map and said my area would flood from a Cat 2. Think will talk to my insurance agent next week about flood insurance, just to be safe.

Lump...growing up in Poquoson you learn to take all these storms serious.

It was nothing here, for me and my area. I was in it today helping out my brother with some work, I actually kind of enjoyed it--other than being wet. I've seen worse thunderstorms roll through in the past few months.

I live about 30 miles south of Poquoson, close to the water, and have been through many storms worse than this. It's old hat. Get your can foods, water, flashlights, pistol, and hope like hell it doesn't flood. I've had that stuff ready to roll before Earl took it's first gust.

I said I wasn't worried, I didn't say I wasn't prepared. That being said, I didn't sandbag my porch and board all my windows. That's never been necessary for me. Any hurricane for me is just kinda, "meh, may have to put up with some bull crap."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.