• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Devin Thomas's Big Chance

brandies

The 1st Round Pick
Reaction score
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/jason-reid/thomass-big-chance.html#more

Devin Thomas's Big Chance
Dwight Thomas simply nodded after making eye contact with his son, Devin, as the Redskins left the field this afternoon at Redskins Park. No words were needed.

"He knows I'm proud of how hard he's work to put himself in this position," the elder Thomas said, "and I know how much he wants this."

Devin Thomas, the second-year wide receiver, begins the season in competition for the starting Z receiver, or flanker, position. Although veteran Antwaan Randle El and second-year wideout Malcolm Kelly also could start opposite X receiver Santana Moss, there are strong indications that Thomas is the team's first choice for a new look at that spot.

"We have a lot of confidence in where he's headed," Coach Jim Zorn said. "Malcolm Kelly is coming on, [but] Devin has shown that he's a little more seasoned than Malcolm right now. They're both going to be competing, and Antwaan's not just going to give up" a starting role.

The Redskins would prefer to use Randle El in the slot more than in previous
seasons. Kelly could be a major factor if his knee holds up, but he experienced knee problems in college, too.

Thomas has the size and speed to complement Moss, the team's top wideout, on the other side of the field. With Moss often double-teamed last season, quarterback Jason Campbell had few viable options in the passing game.

CLICK LINK FOR REST OF ARTICLE

Hard to understate the impact that a legitimate threat opposite Santana Moss could have on this team. It's been many years since teams facing the Redskins had to worry about threats on either side of the field. There's a whole generation of young fans who have never seen what a Redskins passing game can look like when opposing D's can't simply roll coverage to take away the teams' single threat and render the offense utterly one-dimensional.

I don't care if it's Devin Thomas, Malcolm Kelly, Clarence Thomas or Gene Kelly ... I just want someone to step the hell up and remind me what an NFL caliber passing offense looks like wearing burgundy and gold.

I would be very impressed if it were Clarence Thomas or Gene Kelly. Wouldn't it be great if they both stepped up?

Hard to understate the impact that a legitimate threat opposite Santana Moss could have on this team. It's been many years since teams facing the Redskins had to worry about threats on either side of the field. There's a whole generation of young fans who have never seen what a Redskins passing game can look like when opposing D's can't simply roll coverage to take away the teams' single threat and render the offense utterly one-dimensional.

This got me thinking about the last time...

I started to say Gardner and Coles but even in their best year together for the Skins they still only combined for a bit over 1800 recieving and 11 TDs. So I dug back further. The year was 1999, the coach was Norv Turner and the starting recievers were named Westbrook and Connell. It was the last time this team had to two WRs with over 1000 yards receiving (Westbrook had 1191 and 9 TDs, Connell had 1132 and 7 TDs). That team also sported Larry Centers who was the team leader in receptions at 69 on the season.

Consider for a moment just how good this team could be if it got 2300+ yards and 16 TDs out of the starting WRs. I, for onem would take those commutative numbers out of the top 3 WRs and I think it would make Portis and Cooley better in a way that would blow most of our minds.

I don't care if it's Devin Thomas, Malcolm Kelly, Clarence Thomas or Gene Kelly ... I just want someone to step the hell up and remind me what an NFL caliber passing offense looks like wearing burgundy and gold.

Amen brother.

This is really good news. I don't know about you guys, but I for one was somewhat worried about Thomas' attitude and work ethic for a while. That he's ahead of M. Kelly who was highly thought of as a route runner is saying something. If anything, I expected Kelly to really catch fire early on after getting his knee healthy.

Now, if our OL can just keep JC upright...:paranoid:

---------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
mike - coaches expect thomas to step up to #2. they are taking it slow with kelly like limiting his work in the afternoons. heard he has lost 14 lbs since OTAs. so until kelly is unleased, i would think thomas is the lead #2 horse right now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.