• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

OF: Redskins Key Stats Tracker (Preseason Game 2)

Om

Burgundy & Gold Jacket
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
August 24, 2010

Welcome to installment two of the 2010 Redskins Key Stats Tracker.

This is a weekly feature focusing on three specific statistical categories—turnover differential, third-down-efficiency and red-zone-efficiency—plus any specific statistical observations/anomalies that stand out from any given game.

Baltimore Ravens 23
Washington Redskins 3

This week's Quick Notes:

● Through two preseason games, won/lost record of team that forces more turnovers: 2-0.

● It seems counterintuitive, but despite gaining 396 total yards, the Ravens only went 1-10 (10%) on third down.

● 51 of those total yards, of course, and ultimately the play of the game, came on a fake punt down to the Redskins 1 yard line that led to the only touchdown of the first half. Yeah. A fake punt. In preseason. Whatever.

● Interesting to note the Redskins' run/pass ratio: 47 passes, 14 runs. Those were not garbage-time passes playing catch-up either; 26 of the 47 total passes were by Donovan McNabb in the first half. By contrast, last week against Buffalo the Redskins' numbers were 41 runs and 33 passes (first half: 18 runs, 22 passes).

What does this week's disparity suggest? That Kyle Shanahan came into the Ravens' game with a specific goal in mind—working his passing game. To what end? Could have been to look at the offensive line against the Ravens' pressure packages sans any real gameplanning, or getting McNabb untracked, or something else entirely. We can speculate but will never know.

Just another illustration of the folly that is trying to draw meaningful inferences from preseason results.

On to the raw numbers...

CLICK HERE to read more

Last edited:
With McNabb out, I'd say the chances of the Skins passing game excelling this week got a little slimmer. :)

Rex Grossman will do okay probably, at least in the first couple of drives ... but I expect these Jets will have the same over-the-top attitude toward preseason as the Ravens did. I expect them to try to put on a show for the home crowd to back up all the woofing they've been doing all offseason; no better way to do that than blitz the **** out of the visiting teams' backup quarterbacks and OL in a preseason game.

Don't bet the farm on the Redskins this week. :cool:

Oh, good. Now watch us win the damn game and confuse the hell out of everybody. :thud: :)

Last edited by a moderator:
August 24, 2010

What does this week's disparity suggest? That Kyle Shanahan came into the Ravens' game with a specific goal in mind—working his passing game. To what end? Could have been to look at the offensive line against the Ravens' pressure packages sans any real gameplanning, or getting McNabb untracked, or something else entirely. We can speculate but will never know.

CLICK HERE to read more

or that he knew you can't run against the Ravens.

With McNabb out, I'd say the chances of the Skins passing game excelling this week got a little slimmer. :)

Rex Grossman will do okay probably, at least in the first couple of drives ... but I expect these Jets will have the same over-the-top attitude toward preseason as the Ravens did. I expect them to try to put on a show for the home crowd to back up all the woofing they've been doing all offseason; no better way to do that than blitz the **** out of the visiting teams' backup quarterbacks and OL in a preseason game.

what I saw with Grossman was a QB who

- isn't very mobile

- bails out fast (kinda like Tom Jefferson when the Brits invaded VA)

or that he knew you can't run against the Ravens.
Didn't get to see it, but apparently KS was interviewed after the game and said the reason they passed so much was that he wanted to work on the passing game.

Hoping the offense actually works on blitz pickups this game.

Didn't get to see it, but apparently KS was interviewed after the game and said the reason they passed so much was that he wanted to work on the passing game.

not arguiing with ya. I just don't see how that computes with judging which RBs to keep. This was Johnson's look. oh well...the mysteries never end.....

Yea from what I've seen Portis looks very good and Johnson will be lucky to make the team.

The same thing happens every year whether we suck or are SB contenders. A lot of people freak out about the negative and blow their wad over the positive. I look for production and efficiency from starters and players in sync. the rest literally means absolutely nothing in terms of being able as an outsider to make any definitive conclusions. I saw a lot of positives in the Ravens game and sans a cheesy fake punt play our Offense was actually outplaying theirs in the first half. The D was missing a major cog in AH as well as a few others seeing spot or backup duty so rookies can get playtime. I don't expect fluid mistake free ball come week one but I think this team will compete and actually move the ball and score some points. The rest will work itself out with time but I've already seen enough in pre-season to feel a lot better about things than I did this time last year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.