• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

OF: Redskins vs Ravens: Stream of Consciousness Recap

Om

Burgundy & Gold Jacket
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
August 23, 2010

Baltimore Ravens 23, Washington Redskins 3

Last week's stream-of-consciousness recap was received more warmly than I had any reason to expect, so I agreed to try it again this week.

Of course, last week the Redskins were the blowouter. This week they were the comparative blowoutee.

How that will affect the reception herein remains to be seen.

Once again, these are "live" notes taken during the game, edited only for spelling, punctuation and grammar. Where I had referred to players by initials only I have identified them (for those who need it) in parenthesis after the first reference only.

Enjoy. If you can.

6:55 pm

- few minutes til gametime. No idea what to expect--same surprising team from last week, or the first time we see the Shanahan Redskins look like Redskins teams from the past too many years?

- pizza hot. beer cold. life good.

- Sellers at midfield for the coin toss...that's one big sonofabitch to be carrying the rock.

- AH (Albert Haynesworth) with a smile and earbling. Too much money for one man unless the man is special. AH is special but not the way he thinks.

1st Quarter

- The New Redskins: 1st 3rd down conversion attempt...DM (Donovan McNabb) gets protection, finds receiver, threads needle, converts 3rd and long. Last year we're punting...

CLICK HERE to read more

Last edited:
OM......

1) what is your take on depth?

2) do you think the team was physically overpowered?

3) what happened with the running game?

1) it's a good thing to have. :cool: We're a year or two away from having a chance to build serious contender-type depth. One offseason is simply not enough to go out and find the right kind of skill set players 53 deep.

2) No. I think they got a little rattled and got sloppy. Plus BALT plays all 4 quarters of preseason games defensively with their "pressure package." The Redskins were overwhelmed by numbers and blitz packages they didn't waste even one meeting planning for last week. And they made few adjustments during the game either. I forget this every year when we play the Ravens. They have a different agenda in preseason than most teams. Unfortunately it sounds like Rex Ryan adn the Jets have the same approach, so Kyle S may have to spend some time scheming specific protections this week.

3) it sucked. Too many purple bodies on the LOS; tentative running by L. Johnson and not much of a commitment to the run from the sidelines. I still haven't checked the numbers but I had the strong impression KS and MS wanted to look at the passing game. They kept chucking it late into a lost evening...

"Baltimore plays only one style of defense, preseason, regular season or post. Redskins not prepared to face blitz packages--not surprising and no cause for serious worry. Regular season they prepare for all this. Ravens have different agenda in preseason."

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks this

- Preseason sucks...it just sucks less when your team wins.

AMEN!! Although it sure is nice to think we might have a REAL Offense for a change.

Praying no more injuries against the Jets. Kinda hoping Ryan's D plays it like the Ravens. That can only help us going into the regular season. We may come out with another "L" but we'll sure as heck know what a real blitz looks like come the Dallas game.

That's a healthy way to look at the Jets game, brother. The flip side of that, of course, speaking of health, is that we're going to see McNabb and Grossman exposed to another full night of "exotic blitz packages" that we may or may not have put in adequate time preparing for.

Preseason sucks.

That's a healthy way to look at the Jets game, brother. The flip side of that, of course, speaking of health, is that we're going to see McNabb and Grossman exposed to another full night of "exotic blitz packages" that we may or may not have put in adequate time preparing for.

Preseason sucks.

On the flip side of that, I was disappointed to see our defense make few adjustments in the second half when the Ravens dunked and dunked their way down the field on us. I understand we weren't game planning for any of this, but i would like to have seen Haslett make a small adjustment to stop that foolishness.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Om, buddy, you are really good at these quick stream-of-consciouness notes you're doing watching the games-it highlights the essense of what's going on and then with a word or two, or a short phrase, triggers a train of thought in the reader filling in details-similar to the way Japanese sumi-e ink-and-brush painting works with images. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.