• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Game Time Power Rankings Week 2 Ravens

Game Time Power Rankings... Did you enjoy reading and would like this every week?

• Yes, I enjoy reading about the redskins and look forward to this the entire season!!!

Votes: 6 100.0%
  • No, not much here to read.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

z0eboy

The Rookie
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Florida Atlantic
Redskins offense VS Ravens defense - If you break it down Coach Shanahan will continue stressing running the football, with success this again will opening up the passing game. The Redskins talented offensive line is set and will focus on fundamentals, I'm confident although preseason nothing has changed as far as the approach to keeping players healthy. Run plays will require communication, we wont see alot of shifting (I hope) from the ravens so this is a good test to see our pass protection. I read an interesting preview on the defensive strategy the raven "claim" to use this upcoming season. "Taking over now is Greg Mattison, the Ravens 2008-09 linebackers coach. Mattison will be expected to keep the tradition of the elite defense going. When he was in Baltimore, Rex Ryan had complex blitz packages, giving offenses all sorts of different looks. Mattison didn’t do that in his first game as DC, but in a win over the Redskins, he allowed 199 yards of total offense, and most importantly, no points. He was even given the game ball after the contest. Mattison has said he will run more of a base defense this year, which sat well with some fans, but not so with others." A solid Ravens 3-4 defensive scheme combined with the playmakers they have in their front 7 on defense consist of H Ngata who is a beast and complements the 3-4 defense with depth quick run/pass rush DE's like T Pryce and young stand out T Cody has made alot of plays in preseason. LB's T Suggs (stud) and R Lewis (beast) need to stay healthy I doubt see alot of depth there since losing 2nd rd pick S Kindle to head injury. It will all comedown to execution and who can control the line of scrimmage. Not many weakness in the Ravens defense and its just preseason so things will still be pretty vanilla. The Ravens DB is a weak spot and its well documented the injuries there.

Last weeks bright player - B Banks, I think this kid is has to continue to show he can be consistant, a returner like that helps your offense in field position.

Offense - Power running game complementing a pro style offense, starters will play similar series as first preseason game and backups getting more game time experience.

Key players: L Johnson, T Williams and B Banks

Ravens offense VS Redskins defense - If you break it down Coach Haslett is still tinkering with his new 3-4 defense. Packages are being installed based on gameplan, team match up and available personel. A Haynesworth may get the nod with the 1st teams. If this is the case I would expect a more "realistic" base 3-4 defense and similar to the offense we will work on alignment calls, shifts and aubibles. The ravens offense will be very interesting this season, I dont remember them being so balanced both able to run and pass. They boast Al Saunders who I regard as one of the most brightest offensive minds. The redskins will sub out starters by 1st quarter, this will also be good for the redskins defense to showcase their talent in this new defense. J Flacco and A Boldin havent really hooked up yet this preseason, it will be interesting to see if the ravens take it easy or try to tinker with their new offense (similar to what bengals are doing with TO). Our 3-4 defense can get pressure without A Haynesworth in the line up, I expect if he starts with 1st team (RDE - replacing K Golston) a swagger like never before seen from our 1st unit.

Last weeks bright player - K Moore, the sky is the limit for this kid we truely have a real FS to allow our defense to play aggressive.

Defense - 3-4 aggressive blitzing with athletic secondary, starters will play similar series as first preseason game and backups getting more game time experience. I would hope we see our real starting line up.

Key players: A Haynesworth, K Barnes and H.B. Blades

Redskins VS Ravens - ITS PRESEASON!!!! HTTR (PLEASE PROVIDE ANY QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS FOR DEBATE AND FOLLOW UP REVIEW AFTER GAME)

That's a helluva first post :cheers:

Will be interesting to see if the Skins can put up another solid performance in the pre-season. As we're all well aware, it generally matters not how a team performs prior to the regular season. But I think the exception to that general rule is when you've got a brand new coaching staff in place. It's important for the entire team that they look competent and solid, so they can enter meaningful games with a degree of confidence that they can play with anyone.

Welcome to BGO, and again, great first post. You're going to fit in nicely here :)

That's a helluva first post :cheers:

Will be interesting to see if the Skins can put up another solid performance in the pre-season. As we're all well aware, it generally matters not how a team performs prior to the regular season. But I think the exception to that general rule is when you've got a brand new coaching staff in place. It's important for the entire team that they look competent and solid, so they can enter meaningful games with a degree of confidence that they can play with anyone.

Welcome to BGO, and again, great first post. You're going to fit in nicely here :)
Boone, thanks bro trust me those kind words mean alot... I hope everybody feels free to add to this thread... I love the redskins and if your a fan... (sounds cheesy i know) i love you :bucktooth:

I'm looking at a few things today.

On our offense It will be the Williams-Suggs match up. Suggs is a mean, nasty man. I've enjoyed his play. I'm not expecting perfection but it will be great if our rookie LT will be able to keep him in check.

Second, I can't wait to see if all the Larry Johnson love that Redskins.com has been pushing at us is going to amount to anything.

Defensive items:

I'll be keeping an eye on the pressure we get on QB (always).

I want to see if Carter looks less... lost? (dunno if that's the word--perhaps uncomfortable)

Kareem Moore
. I want the ravens to get him in some 1v1 a few times so I can check out his style. I wanna see some broken up catches, maybe an INT, or him giving some folks the alligator arms; a la Sean Taylor.

I DO NOT want to see our DB's whiffing on coverage or flat-out getting beat (D.Hall, mostly). I think, he got lucky on that INT he got last week. To me, it looked like he got shook a few yards off his man, recovered his whiff pretty quickly, and because of a late throw he was able to come from behind and snatch the ball. I'm glad he got the INT and I'll give him his props, but he's so sloppy sometimes. Its hard for me to root for him like I root for someone like Fletcher or Rak.

Of course, no injuries!

Until the game, I'm just kickin' around :kick_can:

awesome insite Lump Beefrock, shanahan is doing something we don't see often... how many coaches would be smart enough to rotate starters (ex. portis vs bills / johnson vs ravens / parker vs jets?) I agree with all your match ups and i also agree on the turnovers. During the regular season (when it counts) I will include/highlight important stats... maybe we can come up with something:claps:

Last edited:
Yeah I like them playing different RBs because we've got talent at the spot (albeit, elder talent) and it gives them an individual chance to compete. I will admit though, I'm hoping to see them mix it up against the cardinals. Because the Bills are hardly the Ravens OR the Jets so it kinda gives CP the edge when you only consider the opponent faced.

The game is not being broadcast in our area, but I'll catch it on one of the NFL Network's repeats.

This will be a tougher test and that's a good thing. I always like to watch the rookies and see what they are doing in game situations.

Of course your a genius shanahan has to mix it up for the last game before the season starts.... man i can't wait

The game is not being broadcast in our area, but I'll catch it on one of the NFL Network's repeats.

This will be a tougher test and that's a good thing. I always like to watch the rookies and see what they are doing in game situations.
me too, im in miami so ill check out some division opponents. Man that shot the jets gave eli was SWEET!

Last edited:
Really interesting and informative stuff on this thread. I'm looking forward to more as time goes on.:)

Welcome z0e and Lump-you guys are going to be fun to have around!

One thing I'd like to mention in general about Shanahan's pre-season approach is that he's still in the player evaluation process trying to get down to the final 53 and therefore has to rotate players just to compare them in real game situations. Also, the installation of new offensive and defensive schemes simultaneously is an exceedingly complex affair and these pre-season games will enable him to judge just how well the team is assimilating the strategies and tactics involved.

My man servumtuum, spoken like a true scholar! Your points are well taken, you got that hamster in my head moving. Some people say we should switch back to a 4-3 base front (not I) and some say shanahan will run a WCO instead of prostyle (smash mouth gibbs). It will be interesting as the season progress will either coach change their philosophy... I like the current direction.

Trent Williams and Suggs will be very interesting. Williams looked good last week but he didn't have to go up against a pass rusher the caliber of Suggs.

The Skins run defense against the running attack of Baltimore. The Bills ran the ball well against the Skins last week and the Ravens have one of the best RBs in the NFL.

McNabb's chemistry with his receivers. He and Cooley seem to already have a connection it will be interesting to see if that continues and we will see if Moss can get involved. Plus can Thomas finally capture that #2 spot.

I will also be watching the rookies that shined against the Bills. Barnes, Austin and K. Williams all looked great against the Bills. I will be watching to see how they do this week.

Vets Larry Johnson and Jamaal Brown didn't play last week. I want to see how they looks against the Ravens D.

I also want to see Orapko hit Flacco at least once!!!!!!!!!

thanks for the welcoming, fellas.

I thought Williams did ok against Suggs. He got beat a few times when he was matched up with him but that's too be expected when someone like Suggs goes up against a rookie. I thought he held his own pretty well.

Hope those injuries we got weren't serious, especially Moore. Someone needs suggest that Landry take some acting classes.

Run defense and our offensive run blocking need some work. It was a little sloppy. Our run blocking wasn't very good at all. This is what makes me nervous about giving our competing RB's a majority of their snaps against different defenses. CP had that one nice run though, dodging tackles. I still like our looks, hopefully everything gets worked out before sept. 12!!

I got a chance to look at the game, it's pretty much what I expected. The ravens left a bad taste in my mouth regardless of the score and the officiating was the icing on the cake. For a playoff team the ravens got exposed and the coaching looked desperate. Injuries suck but that's why coach is trying to evaluate his best 53. Side Note - Jet's will probably game plan aggressively but no revis island.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.