• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

you know....about that guy Donovan

fansince62

He hasn't come out and said it...yet...but clearly...he's headed in a direction where he will be able to say "this is my team". This is a positive - by that he will mean his leadership, his experience, his guidance....shaping the team and its personality on the field. This isn't a challenge to Shanahan....it's probably something Shanahan wants.

DM seems more inclined to play into the "we're Redskins" theme than does Shanahan. I can't put my finger on it...but you just don't hear Shanahan playing that card very often. You don't hear the usual "it's Redskin football"..."it's OUR traditions"...sort of stuff from Shanahan. True...more time may be needed. but this strikes me as one of the biggest differences from Gibbs. for clarity..this isn't a criticism of Shanahan...more a reflection on an odd feeling.

I'd say that DM has a little more understanding of the tradition than Shanahan. Being in the division and close proximity.

Y'know, 62, seeing DMac in B&G no longer looks strange to me. It looks, somehow, right. I never really thought about it the way you presented it, but I think your post may have a lot to do with why I feel that way.

I definitely want to get this guy inked for another 4-5 years, and see what happens. I feel like there will be a lot more times that remind me of the late 80s and early 90s than not.

I'd say that DM has a little more understanding of the tradition than Shanahan. Being in the division and close proximity.
I get your point Steve, and yet I'd beg to differ. Shanny came to Denver after having been fired by Crazy Al in Oakland. Different city yes, but a similar rivalry/tradition and the same motivation for both him and McNabb, i.e. getting the sack. No, I think they both "get it" 100%-at least intellectually. Certainly by the end of the season after the chants of "We want Dallas", again :) they'll be fully inculcated with the three F's of the B & G-feeling, flava, and fervor.

Ohhh, yeah Babe! [insert Emeril smiley here]

This is the second time you've posted something like this, and I have paid attention to Shanahan and what he says since the first time. I don't know if he doesn't get our traditions, which seems unlikely at least on an intellectual level, or if he doesn't feel it's appropriate to join in yet so to speak. We all laughed about the Maroon and Black, but Zorn made an ass of himself at that press conference, and one of the reasons other than his gaffe was he tried to insert myself artificially into the Redskins tradition.

I think Shanahan may know better. To borrow a phrase from Al Davis, ironically, Just Win, Baby. If Shanahan wins, he will be a positive part of the Redskin tradition. And I think Shanahan knows he has to win big, Super Bowl or bust within five years to be considered,

This is the perfect time for him to come. He can resurrect the fortunes of one of the proudest franchises in sports. Everyone's hero, Joe Gibbs couldn't do it, not all the way anyway. We know Shanahan has an ego, which you have to have to coach in the NFL, so what better ego fulfillment than being successful when Gibbs couldn't?

Why try to artificially insert himself in to our lore when he can do it by winning?
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

This is the second time you've posted something like this, and I have paid attention to Shanahan and what he says since the first time. I don't know if he doesn't get our traditions, which seems unlikely at least on an intellectual level, or if he doesn't feel it's appropriate to join in yet so to speak. We all laughed about the Maroon and Black, but Zorn made an ass of himself at that press conference, and one of the reasons other than his gaffe was he tried to insert myself artificially into the Redskins tradition.

I think Shanahan may know better. To borrow a phrase from Al Davis, ironically, Just Win, Baby. If Shanahan wins, he will be a positive part of the Redskin tradition. And I think Shanahan knows he has to win big, Super Bowl or bust within five years to be considered,

This is the perfect time for him to come. He can resurrect the fortunes of one of the proudest franchises in sports. Everyone's hero, Joe Gibbs couldn't do it, not all the way anyway. We know Shanahan has an ego, which you have to have to coach in the NFL, so what better ego fulfillment than being successful when Gibbs couldn't?

Why try to artificially insert himself in to our lore when he can do it by winning?

good points. I guess what I am after...at some point...is the emotional expression that the coach "is all in". he has been scrupulous, I note, not to fall into "we did this in Denver"...or....."player Y did that with the Broncos". so I think he is aware of the matter.

good points. I guess what I am after...at some point...is the emotional expression that the coach "is all in". he has been scrupulous, I note, not to fall into "we did this in Denver"...or....."player Y did that with the Broncos". so I think he is aware of the matter.

Yeah, I hear you. Shanahan saw what Zorn did though and how he failed. I think he is biding his time, it will come, he does want to come off as artificial. As for referencing the Broncos, I don't have a problem with that. If he is still doing that with regularity in three years, then yeah, I agree with you. But for right now, he has one preseason game to reference our guys with, not exactly mountains of material, you know?

He is, after all, a complete outsider. I suspect that if he gets us back to winning again, he'll be quickly indoctrinated into Redskins tradition

Old Skins tradition that is. Not what has been tradition for the last 20 years

Not sure if you are looking for the McNabb or Shanahan angle here since the discussion seems to have steered toward Mike. My point would be this. If Donovan is so interested in being part of the Redskins' tradition, then why hasn't he signed an extension?

I am at the opposite end of the spectrum in this regard. I think Donovan is in a wait and see mode. If the Redskins do well, I think he may sign an extension. If not, I can see him moving on to Minnesota at the end of this season since they are in that window of opportunity that he seems to fit to win a Super Bowl.

I have a feeling McNabb will be wearing Purple in 2011 unless the Redskins are a contender at the end of this season, at least in the playoffs! We should have had the Eagles sign him to an extension before the trade.

I think its hard for any outsider to immerse themselves in a tradition that they have not been a part of. As fans, we expect these guys to live and breathe the burgundy and gold along with all of its history. I think this may be a little unfair.

Guys don't stick with teams these days. They are here today and gone tomorrow. Its hard to love a city, football, and its tradition when you may be gone tomorrow. The NFL has done this to itself, some may think its good, some bad. Look around at the league, great players like Favre, LT, Westbrook, and McNabb are all with different teams. Teams you would not associate with their names.

I just cannot fault a guy in this kind of situation if they are not totally immersed in the B&G tradition. As long as they help us win, then I will be happy.

I think tradition is more important to the fans than the guys on the field. Also, people such as Daniel Snyder and Bruce Allen should be high on tradition. They do not get a pass.

Not sure if you are looking for the McNabb or Shanahan angle here since the discussion seems to have steered toward Mike. My point would be this. If Donovan is so interested in being part of the Redskins' tradition, then why hasn't he signed an extension?

I am at the opposite end of the spectrum in this regard. I think Donovan is in a wait and see mode. If the Redskins do well, I think he may sign an extension. If not, I can see him moving on to Minnesota at the end of this season since they are in that window of opportunity that he seems to fit to win a Super Bowl.

I have a feeling McNabb will be wearing Purple in 2011 unless the Redskins are a contender at the end of this season, at least in the playoffs! We should have had the Eagles sign him to an extension before the trade.

Oh man, its like you're inside my brain. This is exactly what I've been thinking - he seems to be uncomfortable in b&g, and ready to move on.

It would be false for Shanahan to jump on the "Redskins Tradition" bandwagon. Other than to offer a nod to the winning tradition of the 70s and 80s under Allen and Gibbs along with a voiced desire to get the team back to that level, Shanahan is not embracing that tradition. He is bring his Bronco traditions here and clothing them in Burgundy and Gold.

If he succeeds, all he will have in common with past winning teams here is the winning. That being the case, he is smart not to evoke those visions.

I still feel weird seeing him in a Redskins uniform, so maybe I'm projecting that unease onto Donovan. It just doesn't LOOK right! I don't know how he honestly could play for the Eagles for 11 years, then move down 95 to a bitter division rival, and NOT be uncomfortable. It just doesn't make sense to me.

No reason to feel like a jackass, at least until he signs the extension :)

He's mentioned feeling comfortable several times during interview.

New surroundings, system, team mates, coaches, fan excitement and support have all contributed to a spark of enthusiasm he claims to be enjoying.

The Minnesota situation might be more "ideal" but one does wonder why they didn't make a more substantial play for him, the Farve circus notwithstanding.

The skeptic in me allows for McNabb to be just saying the PC thing to maintain good will and that it would be madness to do otherwise. I don't know him well enough to pass any judgement on his intentions but he seems to be a straight shooter and willing to do his best for his current team.

He's playful and capable enough to keep situations at ease and come hard times, I think he will have won over enough of the team to support the guy and perform their best, unlike some of the apparent lack of support on that other team (TO et.al.)

He's here and until a situation arises to the contrary I'm all in.

I am going to take the man at his word, but I still have that uneasy feeling.

I think Shanahan is well aware of the Redskins traditions. Just think he isn't speaking about them publically, because he wants to start new traditions. He wants Redskin Nation to see a good product on the field first. Once we start to win games and become a factor in the division, then you will hear him talk about Redskin tradition and football.

McNabb....have to agree with Elephant. Little uneasy until see the ink dry on a new contract with Redskins.

PFT put this on their site as well and the comments are priceless. BigMike has been doing an awesome job of representing the fan base and BGO with his comments.

McNabb is going to finish his career in DC and it would be awesome if he could have some Super Bowl trophies to go with it. Then he could truly retire as a Redskin and go into the Hall as a Redskin. It would be the ultimate in-your-face to Philly.

McNabb is going to finish his career in DC and it would be awesome if he could have some Super Bowl trophies to go with it. Then he could truly retire as a Redskin and go into the Hall as a Redskin. It would be the ultimate in-your-face to Philly.

that would prove more than amusing...:D...but you know his introducer will almost cetainly be Andy Reid

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.