• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins Insider: Malcolm Kelly's chances Saturday: 'very, very slim'

BGO

Asked whether Malcolm Kelly will be available for Saturday's game against Baltimore, Coach Mike Shanahan pegged the wide receiver's chances as "very, very slim." Kelly, hampered by a sore hamstring, was again relegated to sidework at Monday morning's practice, which has been his daily routine since the opening day of training camp July 29. Missing a second preseason game means that Kelly will have a very small window to impress coaches and earn a spot on the 53-man roster. And that window seems to close more with each passing day. "Obviously, if you can't practice, he can't show me anything," Shanahan said. "But he's doing everything he can with his treatment to get that hamstring better. That's all he can do. What he doesn't want to do is go out there too quick where he sets himself back [to] where he can't even practice the rest of the training camp.

pixel
p-8bUhLiluj0fAw.gif

img.phdo
Malcolm Kelly - Mike Shanahan - Baltimore - Washington Redskins - Training camp

More...

I don’t see them holding a roster spot for a guy who has hardly seen the field since he was drafted. Kelly’s body has let him down from the start and while that’s unfortunate we can’t keep him on the team if he can’t stay healthy.

I can't help but believe not playing against the Ravens would be the final nail in Kelly's coffin. If he's not placed on IR then he'll be cut.

This used to happen to Betts in TC...And then he would get 1 game in and he was safe. That was with different decision makers though.

I called bust on Kelly from the beginning. However this is a case where I'd much rather be proven wrong. Even so, I think there's a chance that given his hammy we could put him on the PUP list or even stash him on the PS....assuming he has any eligibility left.

I'd sure hate to see a 2nd round pick get flushed down the toilet this quickly. :(

I just can't imagine they'd cut Kelly. There's a lot invested in him. Hamstring injuries happen a lot - I bet he's kept on the shelf one more week, then plays in the final 2 games.

You gotta wonder how long one of the last of the Cerrato :puke: experiments are going to last

If he can't get healthy, instead of cutting the guy, couldn't they just put him on the PUP list at the beginning of the season. If he not back by game 6, IR him. Let him come back to camp next year, and see if he can prove himself.

If he can't get healthy, instead of cutting the guy, couldn't they just put him on the PUP list at the beginning of the season. If he not back by game 6, IR him. Let him come back to camp next year, and see if he can prove himself.

Not a bad idea but I'm unsure how that relates to how he gets paid or how it relates to other players we can keep. Is there a PUP list limit? I'm fairly certain they'd have to pay him his regular salary. Not sure what that is.

I don't know how he gets paid, but it would probably be normal salary. If he is on the PUP list, he will not count against the 53 man roster.

I don't know if there is a PUP list limit, but as of right now, no one else would be on it.

As a 2nd round pick, he is relatively cheap. No big deal paying his salary.

As a 2nd round pick, he is relatively cheap. No big deal paying his salary.

Still too much for his limited return. I believe it is time to cut bait. I wouldn't be opposed to us taking the IR route and giving him another shot next year, but he is worthless at this point on the active roster.

Still too much for his limited return. I believe it is time to cut bait. I wouldn't be opposed to us taking the IR route and giving him another shot next year, but he is worthless at this point on the active roster.

Agreed. PUP then IR, or straight to IR. Time to move on for this year.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

According to Jason Reid, we shouldn't write off Kelly yet. He's one of the best 53 on the team (including the best hands on the team), so the door is still open for him to prove himself. Question will be how soon he can get on the practice and game field.

According to Jason Reid, we shouldn't write off Kelly yet. He's one of the best 53 on the team (including the best hands on the team), so the door is still open for him to prove himself. Question will be how soon he can get on the practice and game field.

I keep hearing this "best hands on the team" argument and I am not buying it! There is no way he can be one of the best 53 if he is not on the field! Also, when I saw him at training camp the first day of practice, he could not run simple routes. Was this his injury? Probably, but he cannot seem to get open against pro CB's.

The NFL is a brutal place. So many things have to happen for anyone to become a success at an elite level.

Talent and physical attributes alone do not guarantee success. Even hard work doesn't guarantee success. Luck and timing also contribute heavily.

Malcolm may find himself in the dustbin of "what if" players that had tons of promise (such as the "best hands on the team") but never have the opportunity to live up to that promise. He is way too brittle.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.