• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

It's early...but...

servumtuum

The Owner's Favorite
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Indiana
O.K. I thought I'd start this thread as a conversation starter to occupy the week while we wait to play a real NFL team in the preseason. (Buffalo is bad....really bad)

It's early, but have you formed any impressions yet about who, so far, helped their chances of making the final 53-and who didn't? In other words, who made Shanahan's decision process more difficult?

A couple that come to my mind; Perry Riley, Brandon Banks, Keiland Williams-he and Torain both impressed me but I lean more toward Williams due to Torain's injury history, or should we keep both? Like I said, this is preliminary with more info to come after the Ravens and Jets games but I'm curious about first impressions.

I'll think of more later, probably, but have at it, if you wish.

my list (in no particular order):
1. Brandon Banks- it was hard for him to make the team unless he did well on STs. He did. Now the pressure is on Terrence Austin and others.

2. Perry Riley- reminded me of London Fletcher as he he always around the ball. If he didn't miss that one tackle, he would have had n outstanding game.

3. Darrel Young.- the converted FB (was a LB) looked really good and made some key blocks. If he can play teams, he's def. in the mix with Torain and Williams for a spot.

4. Kory Lichtensteiger- made some nice blocks is clearly our #2 center.

5. Edwin Williams- looked good when I watched him at LG.

6. Anthony Armstrong- caught a TD and made two catches with the 1st teamers. Also was blocking well on plays not going to him. People are making a big deal about Devin Thomas playing well but Armstrong did his stuff against the 1st string.

7. Roydell Williams- Earlier in TC when they had the depth chart with Galloway and Williams ahead of others, I thought this was a classic Mike Shanahan mind****. Now, maybe not so much.

Veteran Redskins like Malcolm Kelly and Jeremy Jarmon are in serious trouble if things keep going the way they are

I agree with both of you guys. I loved the way Riley played. I think he will be a solid inside linebacker in 2011. Keiland Williams played very well too. I've got a buddy that is an LSU fan and he says Williams was a stud in college but LSU always plays the running backs by committee so none of them really shined. So Williams could be a real find.

Who do you guys think the WR opposite of Moss will be week one when we beat the Cowboys?

Who do you guys think the WR opposite of Moss will be week one when we beat the Cowboys?

I still think it'll be Thomas. ($.02)

I would have agreed with you until last night. I think Roydell has an outstanding chance of making the team. He and Cooley were the best receivers for us, and if I recall correctly, Williams also made a few special teams plays as well.

Thomas makes the team, but as the third WR behind Moss and Williams, at this point, imo. Kelly needs to get on the field and make an impact to make the team at this point. Same with Austin; Banks' return put his spot in jeopardy.

BOTH the running game and passing game looked good but it's still too early to annoint anyone a spot on the roster.

That said, I would liked to have seen Galloway play more. He didn't really do anything to stand out during his short stint while several others, including the maligned Devin Thomas, made plays. The Ravens game should be a better test all around and I'm looking forward to seeing if the Offense can continue to build and gel against one of the better Defensive units in the NFL. I don't expect a showing like we saw against the Bills but I do expect we'll move the ball and put up points.

Defensively, there's a lot of work to do but we saw some good things. We saw pressure and turnovers but we also saw some nice runs by the Bills, caused by breakdowns in assignments. The one thing you simply can't have in the 3-4 is missed tackles. Fortunately, the most glaring ones were by backups.

Good points all. I'm a little concerned about the defense as well. It took Green Bay about 6 games or so last year to settle into Dom Capers 3-4 and I think it will take some time for us as well. Till then i think we are likely to look a little schizophrenic.

The real question is who is going to be this seasons camp Cinderella? You know, the guy who plays so well in pre-season that everyone thinks will be able to contribute but gets cut at the last minute or who makes the team never to be heard from in the regular season.

Any nominees yet?

I was disheartened by the bad tackling, even by the first teamers, but someone reminded me that they don't tackle in TC, so they're obviously rusty, and need time to get back into the swing of things. I'm going to remain optimistic that they'll improve.

The real question is who is going to be this seasons camp Cinderella? You know, the guy who plays so well in pre-season that everyone thinks will be able to contribute but gets cut at the last minute or who makes the team never to be heard from in the regular season.

Any nominees yet?

I bet Banks, unfortunately.

Last year it was Marko Mitchell! He caught a TD in the Vikings first preseason game this year too.

Last edited:
Good points all. I'm a little concerned about the defense as well. It took Green Bay about 6 games or so last year to settle into Dom Capers 3-4 and I think it will take some time for us as well. Till then i think we are likely to look a little schizophrenic.

Any nominees yet?

Keiland Williams probably....he's putting up marcus mason stats and I believe struggles with pass blocking. Although I thought he looked good on Friday.

Some good thoughts coming in here. As far as WRs go, I agree that Kelly needs a really good showing when he does play. I think right now it's a toss-up between Thomas and Williams for #2 with Moss as starter. Willie Parker is another one on a hot seat-Torain and Keiland impressed folks Friday and if LJ looks good against the Ravens' and Jets' OLs Parker could be in trouble.

A note about the Ravens, I went perusing Ravens fan forums earlier and there is general concern about the Ravens OL depth. Nobody liked the way Oher played either. Considering that we looked pretty decent offensively until poor Beck came in if the Ravens have depth problems on their OL we might put up some points even mid-game-although nothing like the Bills, of course.

Beck is one I think might wind up being a victim of circumstances-being brought in so late and so far only playing behind our third-string guys, if he doesn't get a shot with the starters and if Bartel plays decently Beck could be in trouble.

Banks needs, I think, to do some consistent punt returns in the 15-25 yard range to show he's not just an occasional lightning strike-and to see if he can take being tackled-he's tiny!
Oh, one more I'd like to here some input on as a "on the bubble"-Lendy Holmes-he led in tackles Friday and had an INT, he look like a potential keeper at this point?

I know this involves starters and not back-ups, but Carter vs. Alexander. I think this is a match-up to watch. IMO, Carter looked way out of place Friday. In fact, he looked down right horrible. I have not seen too many people mention this, but I think it bares watching. That side could be a killer (not in a good way) this season. It looked weak IMO.

Alexander should be the starter opposite of Orakpo and then Chris Wilson and Andre Carter should be rotated in based on what I've seen so far.

I like Andre but his pass coverage didn't look great and he blew contain at least twice on friday, with another blown containment on a pass in the flat. Frankly, he's a very good 4-3 DE but even last year (see Eagles TD on reverse) he blew containment that cost the Skins a TD.

Right now if I had to rank our OLBs
1. Orakpo
2. Alexander
3. Wilson
4. Carter

If Kelly isn't playing against the Ravens, I'd put money that the Skins either IR him or highly consider cutting him. Right now I think these WRs are seriously in the mix to earn roster spots: Moss (lock), Galloway, Williams, Anderson, Thomas, Austin and Banks (as a PR/KR). That means if he doesn't play, he'll have only two games to top a few of these players.

As for the Ravens. Jared Gaither is out with a torn back muscle. More or less he was demoted in favor of Oher b/c the rumor from my raven sources is that he has a poor work ethic. O'Neil Cousins is his back up.

I would like to see Alexander with the first team before I say he is better than Carter. I just think that it is a weak point.

As for Kelly, I don't think he makes the team. Other than Moss, I think it is wide open.

As for the Ravens. Jared Gaither is out with a torn back muscle. More or less he was demoted in favor of Oher b/c the rumor from my raven sources is that he has a poor work ethic. O'Neil Cousins is his back up.

That was the knock on Gaither coming out of school, I think.

This week will be a better test, since going against a playoff team.

Am I the only one that is nervous about McNabb getting hurt and Grossman coming in? Grossman had good numbers, but he three at least 3 passes which a good defense would have picked off. Two were potential pick 6.

For most part will wait to see how we do Saturday before getting too high or low on anyone. The exception may be Kelly. I think he is sitting his way out of DC.

Yeah some of the Grossman throws were just lucky. He seems to have a good grasp of the offense but man, some of those throws seemed shaky to me too. Still, what can we expect from a backup? I’ll just have to take comfort in thinking that we probably won’t need him. I hope.

Yeah some of the Grossman throws were just lucky. He seems to have a good grasp of the offense but man, some of those throws seemed shaky to me too. Still, what can we expect from a backup? I’ll just have to take comfort in thinking that we probably won’t need him. I hope.

I dunno. Given his history, I would be ecstatic is McNabb plays all 19 games this year ;). Hopefully Rex can come in and keep things running smoothly. His final stats did look good, but not sure he passed the eyeball test completely.

I hear you. I guess I’m whistling past the graveyard a bit with McNabb. A man can hope can’t he?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.