• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

CDC Chief: Soda Tax Could Combat Obesity

Cigarettes are the villan in black. They are going to kill you, there are commercials out there showing how bad it is, youre forced to stand outside in a corner in order to do it. while coke has a nice cute polar bear, santa claus, share a coke with the world, have a coke and a smile.
I agree with you that marketing has been cleverly utilized to pursuade the audience one way or another regarding these substances.

I dont think there is a big enough difference in the two to say "its ok to tax this but not this". soda does cause health problems just like cigarettes. soda is just addictive too just like cigarettes. it shouldnt matter to what degree the addiction and negative side effects are. bad is bad whether you are shooting yourself in the head or slowly dying.
Well, certainly everyone has to draw their own line in a gray area like this... To me, there is convincing evidence that cigarettes/tobacco products are way more harmful to one's health then soda, so that's why I have no problem drawing my own line in regards to this situation.

I just dont like being taxed for something that is "bad" for me and not on the other.
Well, I definitely agree with you that this is a major grey area and there are good arguments on both sides.

Ironically, I'm not that popular among my public health colleagues for my stance on the "junk food" taxes....but what's new? :devilish:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.