• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

SC: What is really going on with Haynesworth?

Pappas

http://web.skinscast.com/subcast/2010/08/05/what-is-really-going-on-with-haynesworth/

What is really going on with Haynesworth?

By John Pappas
Skinscast Editor

It seems that everybody is doing it these days. Reporters, retired football players, even the Commissioner of the NFL. They are all doing, and passing the shuttle conditioning test that Albert Haynesworth has not, but needs to in order to get on the field.

After stiffing Mike Shanahan and the Washington Redskins all offseason, Haynesworth reported to training camp a week ago much lighter than at the end of the season. To look at him you would think he’s in much better shape. The only problem is Haynesworth has yet to complete the test recently become so popular with the media and others.

And until he does, or the team relents, he won’t be allowed to play. Shanahan’s reasoning on this appears to be sound, and is looking more prescient every day Haynesworth is out. Shanahan does not want to get a guy hurt who is not is shape. And since Haynesworth was not there during the offseason conditioning program and OTAs, the team has to validate that he is ready to play. Hence the test.

The test itself consists of two sets of six, 25-yard shuttles, or sprints between cones. The player must run 25 yards between cones, and then change direction to go back. This continues six times, and must be completed within a predefined period of time. He then has a break, and does it again within a predefined period of time. In this case, the first set must be done in 70 seconds, with a three and one half minute break, and the second set within 73 seconds.

Haynesworth’s failure to pass the test prompted members of the media and others to start taking the test to see how difficult it is. Many passed, including Mike Golic, a defensive lineman retired since 1993. That Haynesworth has not passed, when a guy retired 17 years has, highlights how ridicules the situation has become.

The popular belief appears to be that Haynesworth is using Shanahan’s edict that he must pass the test before playing as a means of getting out of practice (although he reportedly now likes the system). Fans who want to see Haynesworth on the field again better hope this is the case. Because the alternative could be something much more serious.

Click HERE to read the rest of the story...

Interesting...although I doubt he could lose 30 pounds without exercising at least a little, so I don't think he stayed away because of the knee. I think its option A, just more temper tantrums from Albert. Its classic immature mentality - I'll show HIM, I'm just not going to do the work! We all knew someone (or ourselves) who did this in school to spite a teacher we didn't like.

Shanahan just announced Haynesworth will have an MRI today.

Great move on Shanny's part. Call the bluff, if that's what it is

In spite of the varying opinions of how Shanahan is handling the AH situation, in watching player interviews on podcasts and reading news reports, blogs-any information sources I can find-it seems apparent that Shanahan has instituted the tightest disciplinary ship the Redskins organization has seen in a while-and the players, almost all of them, seem to really like the no-nonsense way things are being done. Businesslike, all football, no extracurricular stuff "we're here to train, learn and practice winning football". Discipline-fines for leaving the practice field, fines for walking rather than running-that has been sorely missing. I, for one, like it.

And Sarge, I agree on the MRI move-Shanny's playing this with tactical smoothness-he's got a plan in mind here-he has a plan in mind for everything-that's one of the things I like about the guy.

I like the MRI. Classic Shanahan. You'll NEVER one-up him. If Albert DID hurt his knee running the drill or working out at Redskins Park then it proves to me he came in soft. If the MRI comes back clean, Albert will likely be running the drill again soon.

I can't help but wonder if he's AFRAID to run the shuttles because he might fail again. With everyone already ragging on him, and grandmothers passing it, he knows he needs to pass it soon.

Yep. A win/win for Shanny. He can sit back and be the "caring coach" only worried about his players well being. Or, he can be the guy that calls AH's bull**** and exposes him as a malingerer.

If AH is duffing it, I would like to think there would be some recourse with the players union

That, or put him on the physically unable to perfom list and sit his ass

Mike, exactly how much did Golic work out before running, and sort of passing, the shuttle? He didn't hurt his knee. If Albert had done it while actually practicing with the team, that's one thing. Hurting it on the shuttle or treadmill tells me he was/is not in shape for something that simple. Personally, I think he's milking it but I guess we'll see once the MRI results are in.

Mike, exactly how much did Golic work out before running, and sort of passing, the shuttle? He didn't hurt his knee. If Albert had done it while actually practicing with the team, that's one thing. Hurting it on the shuttle or treadmill tells me he was/is not in shape for something that simple.

Mike is right, knee injuries can happen to anyone at any time. I've had rugby buddies who were some of the most in-shape people I've ever known blow knees out. Sometimes it just happens, and there's nothing really you can do to prepare for it.

The test itself consists of two sets of six, 25-yard shuttles, or sprints between cones. The player must run 25 yards between cones, and then change direction to go back. This continues six times, and must be completed within a predefined period of time. He then has a break, and does it again within a predefined period of time. In this case, the first set must be done in 70 seconds, with a three and one half minute break, and the second set within 73 seconds.

Umm...this is not accurate from what I have been reading. Your claim is that he runs 6-25 yard shuttles twice. I am confused about the distance of the test coming out in the reports from Redskins' park.

Golic claims to have run the "same" test Albert was running in Redskins' Park. You claim Haynesworth ran 6-25 yard lengths, twice totaling 300 yards. Golic ran a total of 600 yards, 2 separate shuttle runs of 12x25 yard runs with a 3:30 break in between.

Are you telling us Big Al only had to run 2-150 yard shuttles? If so, that is even more pathetic than I thought since Golic ran 6- 25 yard lengths in like 34 seconds in his first run, with 12 - 25 yard runs at about 70 or 71 seconds.

El, a shuttle run is up and back. So a 25-yard shuttle is a 50-yard run. :)

El, a shuttle run is up and back. So a 25-yard shuttle is a 50-yard run. :)

That's not the way it was explained in the piece Lanky.

"...two sets of six, 25-yard shuttles, or sprints between cones."

a= two sets

b= 25 yard shuttle run or the length of a sprint between two cones

6a x b = 300 yards

Golic's run:

a= two sets

b= 25 yard shuttle run or the length of a sprint between two cones

12a x b = 600 yards

Last edited:
ive had a friend take a step on the basketball court, just a normal step and his achilles roll up like a set of blinds that go crazy.

and i still wont believe golic did it until i see proof.

Mike, you don't buy the ESPN video? You think they doctored it? I know they may be off by a second or two in both runs, but that is less the point since Golic is nearly 20 years older than Hanesworth's.

Umm...this is not accurate from what I have been reading. Your claim is that he runs 6-25 yard shuttles twice. I am confused about the distance of the test coming out in the reports from Redskins' park.

Golic claims to have run the "same" test Albert was running in Redskins' Park. You claim Haynesworth ran 6-25 yard lengths, twice totaling 300 yards. Golic ran a total of 600 yards, 2 separate shuttle runs of 12x25 yard runs with a 3:30 break in between.

Are you telling us Big Al only had to run 2-150 yard shuttles? If so, that is even more pathetic than I thought since Golic ran 6- 25 yard lengths in like 34 seconds in his first run, with 12 - 25 yard runs at about 70 or 71 seconds.

I wrote it poorly. It should have read out and back six times for a total of 300 yards. Thanks.

I wrote it poorly. It should have read out and back six times for a total of 300 yards. Thanks.

John, I was confused because there were so many differing reports. Not trying to poke a dig at you brother! Just trying to know exactly terms of the test. Thank you.

Mike, your point about Golic being a scrub supports those of us who think it is a condemnation of Albert since Golic passed it (arguably but close enough) being 20 years Al's elder.

you dont know how well respected florio is obviously.

Frankly, I don't care. And he's working for PFT, which is barely more respectable than some fanboy's blog.

First off, you don't initiate a scheme based on whether or not your problem child wants to play it.

Second, yes, there are rules and conditions in life. Other teams give this test, and it seems everyone else can pass, except Butterworth. I mean, I think the only person who hasn't taken and passed the test is the danny and Betty White. You buck the system, you pay the consequences

But I'm sure coach Florio knows best:rolleyes:

yeah, you know thats not true, right? There are other players out there right now who didnt pass it and still havent. its just that haynesworth is so notrorious that he is in the spotlight.

And who would that be?

What I see is a spoiled man child that thinks he's smarter than the rest of us. And let's face it, he's smart enough to get 21 mil for doing damn near nothing for the money.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.