• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins Acquire QB John Beck from Ravens

Om

Burgundy & Gold Jacket
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Didn't see this one coming. Were 5 days of camp enough for the Shanahan's to make up their minds about Brennan, Bartel and/or even Grossman? One thing to pick up a free agent as an extra arm for camp. Another to trade away a player ...

http://www.csnwashington.com/08/02/...ven/landing_v3.html?blockID=281870&feedID=272

Monday, August 2, 2010, 12:31 p.m. UPDATED 12:49 p.m.

CSNwashington.com

Comcast SportsNet's Brent Harris has confirmed the Ravens have traded back-up quarterback John Beck to the Redskins for cornerback Doug Dutch.

Beck's arrival at Redskin Park will give the team five quarterbacks on the roster: Donovan McNabb, Rex Grossman, Colt Brennan and Richard Bartel. The trade is clearly a sign the Redskins haven't been impressed by Brennan and/or Bartel.

Beck, 28, played at BYU and was originally drafted by Miami.

He started four games for the Dolphins in 2007, but has not played a snap in the last two years.

Dutch was in his second training camp with the Redskins. Baltimore needed help at cornerback after losing Dominique Foxworth to a season-ending knee injury last week.

I'd say anyone behind McNabb is fighting for a spot right now.

Traded CB Doug Dutch - a guy most likely going to end up on the cutting room floor. They got another QB to work out for nothing except a little less cap room - Beck's contract is probably slightly higher than Dutch's.

This most-likely signals that the Shanahans are not impressed with Brennan and Bartel - and I heard both have struggled. I think Grossman is fairly safe as he knows the system from his Houston days, but the Beck acquisition should be a clear signal to Dick and Colt that they need to step their game up big time.

according to 106.7, colt brennan has indicated he is about to be released...

I know it's only four days into camp but I can't help but wonder if Mike isn't intentionally sending a message. "Either get the job done or we'll find someone who can." I understand that you need to pull the trigger quick with QB's but not even giving a guy a shot in a preseason game is a little puzzling. That's why I think this may have been a message to the rest of the team.

Unexpected is right on this one. I went digging and found out he played the entire pre-season game last season when Baltimore beat the Falcons 20-3. Here's a link to the game stats and vids of Beck in action in that game.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2009090352/2009/PRE4/ravens@falcons/watch

He also played the fourth quarter in the first pre-season game against the Redskins but the video only showed one play.

Grossman seems safe. The Shanahans have been praising him and he's looked sharp the last couple of days.

Buh bye Football Jesus.

I have a couple of friends who are Dolphin fans, and remember them being furious that Cam Cameron wasted a draft pick so high on this guy. Not sure he will make the final roster for us, but if this is about sending a message, awesome! I'm good with that.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Grossman seems safe. The Shanahans have been praising him and he's looked sharp the last couple of days.

That's the word on Rex - good to hear that news.

The cult will not be happy, but the Shanahans know QBs and may see a good opportunity with Beck.

The other good news - Vinny would've traded a sixth round pick and Dutch for Beck. This FO keeps on truckin' in the right direction.

Last edited:
The cult will not be happy, but the Shanahan's know QBs and may see a good opportunity with Beck.
I expect the cult is in full :bigcry: :knife: mode right about now. I guess there's going to be more than a few requests for kaishakunin duty over at ES over the next few days. :square:

press reports make it easy to infer that this was something on Kyle Shanahan's wish list for a long time. Colt was doomed long before TC ever started.

That's the word on Rex - good to hear that news.

The cult will not be happy, but the Shanahans know QBs and may see a good opportunity with Beck.

The other good news - Vinny would've traded a sixth round pick and Dutch for Beck. This FO keeps on truckin' in the right direction.

not so sure...Kelly Johnson reported last night that the whispers are Grossman is having a very uneven camp (reflects his NFL track record) and may also be at risk.

press reports make it easy to infer that this was something on Kyle Shanahan's wish list for a long time. Colt was doomed long before TC ever started.
Agreed ... and it's a little intriguing. IF (a big if) the man can play, at 28 Beck could be more than just a decent backup ... he is still young enough to potentially be the heir-in-waiting after McNabb's done. Which goes to one of the Big Questions out there about the team as presently constructed.

The idea that Kyle S may have had a thing for this guy all along and thinks he's possibly the right man to run his offense is worth more than casual mention. This could turn out to be one of those moves you look back on in retrospect and nod in silent wonder.

Imagine having an organization that occasionally comes up big in the NFL personnel maneuver department.

:new_idea:

Imagine having an organization that occasionally comes up big in the NFL personnel maneuver department.

:new_idea:

And imagine IF they actually keep them around, instead of going the Trent Green/Stan Humpries route

Agreed ... and it's a little intriguing. IF (a big if) the man can play, at 28 Beck could be more than just a decent backup ... he is still young enough to potentially be the heir-in-waiting after McNabb's done. Which goes to one of the Big Questions out there about the team as presently constructed.
Beck will be 30 in two years so it's I think the only way that happens is if McNabb doesn't play very long. I'd hate to see us go the Rich Gannon route. Sure he was pretty good once he was put in a system that suited his strengths and the light finally went on for him. The problem is that creates an awfully short window of opportunity.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.