• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Om Field: Putting it on the line - Size Matters

Om

Burgundy & Gold Jacket
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
August 2, 2010

There was a time, back in the Gibbs Glory Days, when the Washington Redskins were thought of as a big team. The relative size of the offensive line Gibbs and offensive line guru Joe Bugel constructed in front of battering ram running back John Riggins might not turn heads by today's standards, but back then it was a different story.

From the Washington Post in 1982:

"Bugel likes his players big, so the first thing you notice about the Hogs is their size. The line averages 273 pounds, and will get even larger when Starke, who is small for a tackle (260 pounds), retires and is replaced by Laster, 290. Grimm is playing at 270, Bostic 255 and May at 288 after falling to 255 last year."

I remember reading something by a long-time NFL writer (whose name escapes me) back in those days, talking about how Gibbs, Riggins and the Redskins' power running game had (paraphrasing) taken the NFL by the scruff of the neck and dragged it kicking and screaming back to the good old days ... to when the league was about who was bigger, faster, stronger and more aggressive.

The Hogs redefined how football was played in the 80's and how the football has looked at offensive lines ever since. Back then the term "Hogs" was cute. Today it is part of the lexicon. Go to any high school football game on a Friday night and listen to the crowd. If you don't hear at least one Dad in the stands clench his teeth and growl about "the hogs inside," I'll buy next time we meet.

The Redskins offensive line was not only better coached, prepared and motivated than their opponents, they were also just plain bigger.

Apparently, size matters.

Don't think so? Joe Gibbs was once asked why he favored his team wearing white so much. He made some comment about it being cooler in the hot August and Septermber sun, and I think suggested it was easier for his quarterback to find his receivers downfield in white. But then he added what always seemed to me was the real reason...

CLICK HERE to read more

Last edited:
There should be a special punishment meted out to anyone who combines lovemaking, personal lubricant and Albert Haynesworth in the same sentence.

Fair enough.

Let's kick Weisman's ass.

Let's kick Weisman's ass.

You, my friend, are a true word smith!

Although references of the "Glory Days" still bring a smile to my face whenever they are mentioned, I am growing tired of conjuring up memories of those days in an effort to remind myself of how great it is being a fan of the Washington Redskins!

My only hope is that we are looking at a future that will make us look back twenty years from now calling these the "Glory Days"! I am getting a little tired of looking at the past. My hope is that it's time to revel in the now and be excited about the future!

Crazy how much bigger linemen have gotten in 20 years

Ain't it the truth? I remember reading online earlier this year about highly rated high school college football prospects about some high school senior from Alabama, a LT, who was listed at 6-7, 370 lbs. Insane.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.