• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Camp Quotes: Mike Shanahan

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
July 29, 2010
Redskins Park

Executive Vice President/Head Coach Mike Shanahan

On the status of Albert Haynesworth:

“Albert did not pass his conditioning test. During practice today he was with [strength and conditioning coach] Ray Wright on a treadmill for about 40 minutes, and we’ll test him everyday to see if he can pass it. And if not, he’ll get some good cardiovascular endurance with our strength coach, both on the treadmill and obviously on the field. As you saw today, [defensive coordinator] Jim Haslett and [defensive line coach] Jacob Burney worked with him about 20-30 minutes catching him up with our terminology.”

On the level of conditioning he wants from Albert Haynesworth:

“Obviously, you’d like him to be in the type of shape that most of our players are in. The bottom line is that we’re going to get him in shape. If he’s going to be on our football team and he’s going to play at the level we’d like him to play, then he’s got to be in great football shape. Hopefully he’ll get it done tomorrow, but it may take two or three days, it may take a week. I really don’t know. His weight is fine. We’ve just got to get that cardio at a certain level to make sure he doesn’t injure himself.”

On what was said when Albert Haynesworth was told he failed his conditioning test:

“I don’t go through our conversations together. I think he knows that he’s got to pass this test. He’s got to work extremely hard to make sure that cardiovascular endurance is there, and when he does that, I feel very comfortable to put him on the field and let him compete for that position.”

On if he and Albert Haynesworth exchanged heated words:

“Obviously when I say I’m not going to share the conversation I had, that means I’m not going to share the conversation I had. But there were no words. Albert was first class all the way. He understood where I was coming from and understands that he’s got to be at a certain level to go out on the field and practice with the rest of that football team. If he gets there then he’ll be with us and if he doesn’t, he won’t.”

On the conditioning test given to Albert Haynesworth:

“It’s a basic conditioning test. We get a good idea if a guy is in shape. We put a lot of our linemen through it, offense and defense. We do it through our conditioning drills throughout the OTAs. It’s a very fair test. But more importantly, it keeps a guy from getting hurt. I don’t want to put a guy out there that’s not ready to go and all of the sudden, there’s a setback for two weeks. It just doesn’t make sense. Albert’s got a lot of ability. We get him in great football shape, he can help us. But I’m not going to put him out there until he’s in that kind of shape.

On reports that the players who attended the offseason program did not have to take that conditioning test:

“That’s exactly right, and that’s part of being in the offseason program. You don’t have to take the test. There’s a certain percentage of workouts that you’ve got to be here, and if you’re in that percentage, you don’t have to go through the conditioning test because we knew you’re in good shape. You had done this test in a lot of different running drills along the way.”

On what it will take for Albert Haynesworth to get back on the field:

“You’ve got to pass the test. Will it happen? Is there going to be a setback tomorrow? Will he make it tomorrow? I can’t tell you. The only thing I can tell you is that when he does pass the test, I feel very good that he can go out and compete at that position. I don’t want to throw him out there and all of the sudden he gets hurt and it takes two weeks to recover.”

On if any other players had attendance low enough to warrant taking the conditioning test:

“No, he was the only one. That was set very early. Jammal Brown was signed late, and he was here for a couple of weeks for conditioning and did very well in that test, by the way.”

On if he would classify the conditioning test as tough for someone Albert Haynesworth’s size:

“Well, I can say this, all of our other linemen passed the test.”

On any additional thoughts about Albert Haynesworth:

“I think we’ve covered Albert enough. I think he understands where I’m coming from. I don’t know if it’s going to happen tomorrow. I hope so. Could it take a week? It could. I really can’t tell you. But when he does come back, he’s going to be in shape and hopefully he’s ready to go. One time a day he’s going to have that opportunity [to pass the test], and if not, we’ll put him through the type of workout he had both in the morning and the afternoon.”

On the status of first-round draft pick Trent Williams:

“I think we’re very close. Hopefully it gets done here in the near future. Like I said yesterday, we’re very fair, so hopefully tomorrow he’ll be in.”

On defensive tackle Ma’ake Kemoeatu:

“He was a little sick today. He had a fever yesterday. He went out there and worked through it, so I was very happy he worked through a little adversity today when he was sick yesterday.”

On if the defensive line could be formidable with both Albert Haynesworth and Ma’ake Kemoeatu:

“Could be is the key word. We’ve got to get it done. What we’re going to do is work extremely hard. We’ve got some parameters that we expect from our players. We get everybody to play at the top of their ability, and we have a chance to be good. The key is people working extremely hard and doing the things we expect them to do and hopefully that’ll get done.”

On how tackle Jammal Brown looked:

“Good. First time I’ve had a chance to work with Jammal. We had a very limited practice today. We had a lot of meetings today. The field was extremely wet. I cut it about 10 minutes short just because I was afraid of guys slipping. Hopefully we’ll be drier tomorrow.”

On if he’s concerned that Trent Williams will miss too much time:

“No. We’ve dealt with these signings for a lot of years, and I’ll be surprised if he’s not in here quickly in the near future, just knowing his agents, knowing Bruce [Allen], how we run this organization. We’ll just have to wait and see, but let’s address that in a couple of days if it’s still a question.”

On the play of offensive lineman Will Robinson:

“Will, our second team left tackle with Trent being gone got an opportunity to show us what he can do. I’ll have to look at film, but like I said, we didn’t do a whole lot today. We’re just kind of getting back and getting started again.”

On if it was emotional to start training camp after a year away from coaching:

“Well, it’s nice. Anytime you’re with an organization for as long as I was and to come in here after six or seven months of hard work with our coaches, it’s really nice to get started. I really enjoyed it.”

On wide receiver Malcolm Kelly:

“I didn’t get a chance to really look at him. I know his hamstring is a little bit sore. I know he wanted to push through it. I talked to him earlier today. Hopefully there is no setback because he missed a number of OTAs with a hamstring earlier so hopefully he can get some reps.”

On if it was different to start camp after having a year to look at other teams:

“No, not really. Every year you’re taking a look at different teams and you implement different things that you think will help your football team win. That’s a part of the process. I did have a little bit more time off though to look at things.”

On the role of coaching intern Chris Samuels:

“Chris is going to help with the offensive line. He’s helping Chris Foerster. I think Chris is trying to decide what direction he wants to go in his life, if he wants to coach collegiate ball, pro ball or high school ball. He’s got a lot of options. He’s a very sharp young man. I like being around him and I’m glad he’s a part of our organization and he wants to learn and be around a good offensive line coach.”

The only problem I saw in this interview was the amount of time they spent questioning him about Big Al. It is a distraction that needs to be resolved!

I am not wishing any ill will on anyone, but man I wish someone in a 4-3 defense would get hurt so some team comes offering the farm for Big Al! :bucktooth:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.