• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

PFT: Report: Redskins interested in Vincent Jackson

BGO

Last week it was reported that the Seahawks expressed interest in a trade with the Chargers that would land restricted free agent Vincent Jackson in Seattle, but that the Chargers said no thanks. Now another team has been identified as...

More...

68 receptions in 2009 for the Chargers...not bad, 59 the year prior. This could be the WR move we've been anticipating given Santana Moss' questionable near-term future....

My impression of Jackson is that he's pretty much deep threat and nothing but deep threat. There's nothing wrong with that; I'm sure McNabb could make good use of him. But he may not necessarily compensate for the other weaknesses in our receiver corps.

We should also keep in mind that we've already traded away our 3rd and 4th round picks next year. I don't see how we have the ammo to make deal here.

This sounds like one of those things leaked by an agent to provoke other teams into making the Chargers more serious offers...

Hey, maybe the Chargers will take Haynesworth for Jackson?

Sadly, I know better.

I think the Redskins already have a bunch of mediocre talent clogging up the WR depth chart. Jackson, if added, would come in and immediately become the No. 1.

Off field issues and a possible 1 to 4 game suspension looming. NO THANKS!

Also, I don't want to give up anymore draft picks.

He wants a bigger contract than Brandon Marshall?

If we panic about our short-term deficiencies and trade picks and spend big money for this guy it should be clear that we've learned nothing from the Haynesworth disaster.

He wants a bigger contract than Brandon Marshall?

If we panic about our short-term deficiencies and trade picks and spend big money for this guy it should be clear that we've learned nothing from the Haynesworth disaster.

THIS.

I was cool with acquiring him until I found out he wants a payday bigger than Brandon Marshall's. No WAY is he worth that much.

I've been way from the net for a couple of weeks

What's up with Santana? Is he going to get suspended or something?

name one WR who isnt an idiot?

Santana - bzzz
TO - bzzzz
Ocho Cinco - the name alone says it
Moss - we were playing them when he walked off the field.

hell, even marshall was a punk until the 6 game winning streak last year.

EVEN the great Andre Johnson sat out for a minute at OTAs. They are ALL divas.

He has off the field issues but there is no issue I have ever heard of in the locker room and he shows up for every game.

How many SBs has that group won ... combined? If that's your list of top-notch idiot WRs maybe that's not the type of player we should be looking to bring here.

I actually do agree that 90% of all WRs are divas, which is one reason why you don't center an offense around them. And why you don't pay one like that's what you're going to do.

We tried that with Coles. He even had a pro-bowl season with us. Didn't matter.

your argument is about Super Bowl wins? Then I guess that limits who we take anyways. And that means no Andre Johnson if he was available which would make you the ONLY person who watches the NFL to not want him. That list would also include Larry Fitzgerald as well and we all know what he can do too.

Wanting a player and being willing to break the bank for that player are two different things. I'd take any of those WRs on my team. But I wouldn't pay through the nose for any of them. Not even Andre Johnson.

My argument is not really about about SB wins. It's about the impact a WR has on a team. In general a WR isn't the missing piece that pushes a team over the top. Randy Moss didn't win the Pats another SB. TO didn't win the Eagles a SB. And those are perhaps the two most impactful WRs of their era signing with two of the most consistently winning teams of their era.

So considering how relatively low of an impact a top-tier WR makes to an offense as opposed to a RB, a QB or a decent line, and considering that many top WRs are, as you say, divas compared to other players. I am not a fan of opening up my wallet for one.

im sorry man, but when you say you wouldnt take Andre Johnson you lost me. He is hands down the best WR in the game and a complete game changer.

And despite this his team has never made the playoffs. They've never won ten games. One winning season in his seven years with the team. Two top five offenses in yards out of seven years. One top ten offense in scoring (10th, this year).

Think about that. A complete game changer at WR. What is he changing them to? Close losses?

Like I said, I'd take Johnson on this team. If we could get him for what the Pats got for Moss I'd take that.

I'm talking about breaking open the bank. Trading multiple high picks for someone and then paying them franchise money. I think doing that for a WR is a mistake. I don't care who he is.

Gotta say I'm with ya there Henry. If we haven't learned this in 11 years, then we are truly lost

851 (injured)

he has 5 fumbles in 6 years and averages well over a first down every time he catches the ball.

Looking at gaudy numbers has killed the Redskins over the years. We need to stop doing that. Like yesterday.

how in the heck can you fault him for not making the playoffs when they are in the same division as the colts who dominate every year?

You mean the team with the dominant QB? :)

They have ZERO QB and they still dont have a dominant RB. You act like you can blame AJ for the rest of the team having nothing around them and that just isnt fair to anyone. You dont blame Barry Sanders for the Lions sucking, you dont blame Marino for the Dolphins sucking.

Interesting examples.

The Lions with basically Barry Sanders on offense made the playoffs 5 times in the 10 years Sanders was there. Since 1958 the Lions have only gone to the playoffs 4 other times, and only once since his retirement (when they went 8-8 and got pasted by us in 1999). They had three 10-win seasons when Sanders was there. In every other year of the Lions' existence (since 1930) they've had 5 others, and none since Sanders retired. Oh, and they were in the division that Berman coined 'the NFC Norris' because it was so brutally competitive. The Packers with Brett Favre were the dominant team in the division for most of that time. I think it's safe to say Sanders had quite a significant impact on his otherwise lousy team.

The Dolphins with Marino went to the playoffs 10 times in 17 years. In the 10 years since his retirement they've gone three times. And Marino's division was largely dominated by the Buffalo Bills, who went to four straight SBs during his prime.

Now compare that to Andre Johnson, the most dominant, game-changing WR of his day on a team that has one 9-win season in his seven years on the team.

And no, I don't 'blame' Johnson for his team sucking. I'm simply saying he can't make them not suck, and he shouldn't be paid like a player who can.

We're now off the topic of Vincent Jackson (who isnt as good as AJ) so I will stop this now.

Fair enough. But I do think this is kinda relevant, if we are thinking about how much we're willing to give up for a top-flight WR.

Last edited:
anything to disagree with the organization, eh?

Nah. I'm just ready to stop the madness. For 11 years, we've been like the indians on Long Island

"Ohhhhhhhh, look at the pretty beads. See how shiny they are? You'll get all the chicks with these bad boys! All ou have to do is sign over the island"

And we have. Smith, Deion, the list goes on and on and on. Big names signed without a lick of thought as to whether or not they would fit in with other players or the scheme.

We're probably going to suck this year and maybe next. But that's OK if we're willing to build in any manner OTHER than what we've been doing for the past 11 years.

Besides, even if Lord Farquaad was still running the show and wanted him, I'll bet the Butterworth debacle would be making him hesitate.

were going to suck this year and maybe next?

man, thats about it for me.

Ok, don't lump me in with Sarge. :)

I didn't say we were going to suck. I just don't think we should pay top-dollar for someone else's WR.

And that's it for me too.

were going to suck this year and maybe next?

man, thats about it for me.

I know you're a homer bro. Nothing wrong with that. It's funny, but in some ways you remind me of Art.

Every year he'd take on all comers, in that special Art kinda way, telling them in a precise, logical manner how the Skins were superior to every team in the East in every way all while telling them they were dumb as a brick.

Without coming out and saying it of course

And every year for 11 years........................

I'm just not looking at them through the Burgandy colored glasses anymore.

For the record, I hope they surprise everyone and win the Super Bowl, which is the hope of every fan for their team every year.

But the reality is, we have a suspect O-Line, a fading proven reciever and a bunch of wanna be's that haven't proven squat on the field. An old ass backfield, a suspect secondary, a new coaching staff with a new scheme and a cancer in the locker room.

Not exactly a recipe for a Super Bowl

Sarge, if you are gonig to call me a homer then you should admit that you are a full on debbie downer.

On a 4-12 team, yeah, I'll be a downer. And you should too.

Yes, there is hope with a new coaching staff. Just like there was when Gibbs came back.

But the fact remains that we have a suspect team with needs in a lot of areas. Unless we're gonna continue with the "Sign Everybody, Win NOW" philosophy, we're gonna need those draft picks in the coming years to restock.

Paying what Jackson wants in terms of both $$$ and picks is beyond our budget right now.

Not so sure about the OLine, Sarge. Obviously it hinges on whether Williams pans out or not, but if so, we've got a nice pair of relatively young bookend tackles for the foreseeable future. Dockery is a solid run-blocker, and can get into space very well. The only holes I see are at RG and C, but we have Artis Hicks and Mike Williams - one of them should be sufficient at RG, and Hicks can even play center if Rabach continues to stink up the joint.

I'd say we've improved from mediocre to respectable in the past offseason. Give Shanahan and Allen one more year, and I'll be we'll be talking about how dominant it is.

Not so sure about the OLine, Sarge. Obviously it hinges on whether Williams pans out or not, but if so, we've got a nice pair of relatively young bookend tackles for the foreseeable future. Dockery is a solid run-blocker, and can get into space very well. The only holes I see are at RG and C, but we have Artis Hicks and Mike Williams - one of them should be sufficient at RG, and Hicks can even play center if Rabach continues to stink up the joint.

I'd say we've improved from mediocre to respectable in the past offseason. Give Shanahan and Allen one more year, and I'll be we'll be talking about how dominant it is.

I hope so. I'm still very concerned about Rabach and RG. Plus, you know were going to go through rookie school at LT as well

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.