• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Om Field: Redskins Awakening the Echoes

Om

Burgundy & Gold Jacket
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Once in a while, Life offers a confluence of circumstances that we slowly become aware of, just at the periphery of thought, but never crystallize into words.

On rare occasions, though, it will go farther that, tapping us gently on the shoulder, as if to say, "Pardon me, I believe this is what you are looking for."

I admit to such a Redskins-related moment today.

For the past few days I had been thinking in vague, general terms about the confluence of events that have happened to, in and around my favorite sports franchise since Head Coach Jim Zorn left the building in January. In no certain order of importance and by no means exclusively ...

Enter GM Bruce Allen, Son of George.

Enter Mike Shanahan, Coach of Reknown, riding in to Much Fanfare.

Enter The Over the Hill Gang, 2.0, an increasingly evident assemblage of veteran players from elsewhere, brought in to man key positions, and the Future is Now expectations such an approach inescapably brings.

Consider a Washington Redskins franchise, not far removed from another brief flirtation with return to glory, swinging for the fences again before all momentum is lost ...

More...

Last edited:
Holy Crap! Is that Burl Ives narrating the video? I've never seen that either, at least I don't remember seeing it. Awesome stuff! And for the record brother, I feel it to! :cheers:

I've never seen that video either, and I have to say.......

Dam you brother.... the tears were flowin.

Game 2, Yankee Stadium and the blow out of the Giants. The day I turned from the dark side, and looked into the light. The day I fell in love with the team I would spend my years supporting through the good and bad. The day a ten year old sat in the mezzanine with his dad, got a few swigs of beer here and there, while chowing on pretzels and peanuts.The day my uncle and his friends bound and gagged me in my seat for rooting for the Redskins.

The day my blood turned Burgundy, and bones turned Gold....

I'm still not quite sure what I'm feeling about our team today, but whatever it is, it's not a bad feeling, and that's good enough for now.

Oh, and thanks for letting me relive a very special memory.

Cheers brother !

Last edited:
I like it.

Om said:
I am not predicting the 2010 Washington Redskins will hit the ground running in Mike Shanahan's first season, turn the Capital City on its collective ear and make the playoffs.

So you are saying that 10-6 won't make the playoffs. Interesting.

;)

Bastige!

Going to suck missing out on the playoffs in a 10-6 year.

You guys guys are making sticking with an optimistic 9-7 feel sooooo much better. Thanks. ;)

Bastige!

Going to suck missing out on the playoffs in a 10-6 year.

While it would have a bit of a sting to it, I could live with 10- 6 and missing the playoffs. That would be more progress then any sane fan could ask for.

While it would have a bit of a sting to it, I could live with 10- 6 and missing the playoffs. That would be more progress then any sane fan could ask for.

I have to agree. A 10-6 record in most seasons is playoff-worthy so, even if we missed them, it would mean we're a good team. Not sure we could really say that with certainty under Gibbs II.

If we had a season like 1971 I think I'd be satisfied (and that video is awesome).

But there's something nagging at me that this season might turn out to be a bit similar to our most recent season that ended in "1" where we had a renowned coach roaming the sidelines. Difference being that I can't see our owner behaving rashly like he did at the end of that season.

I've never seen that video either, and I have to say.......

Dam you brother.... the tears were flowin.

Game 2, Yankee Stadium and the blow out of the Giants. The day I turned from the dark side, and looked into the light. The day I fell in love with the team I would spend my years supporting through the good and bad. The day a ten year old sat in the mezzanine with his dad, got a few swigs of beer here and there, while chowing on pretzels and peanuts.The day my uncle and his friends bound and gagged me in my seat for rooting for the Redskins.

The day my blood turned Burgundy, and bones turned Gold....

I'm still not quite sure what I'm feeling about our team today, but whatever it is, it's not a bad feeling, and that's good enough for now.

Oh, and thanks for letting me relive a very special memory.

Cheers brother !

I feel the tears welling in my eyes.....you were such an impressionable youth. so glad your parents didn't take you to a drag queen festival in lieu of a Skins game............I kid. I kid. Just bustin your chops for cheap grins.

These themes are rehashed over and over and over and over.....but you know what? there will never, ever, ever, never be anything like that first NFC Championship game in RFK. DC transformed over night. SBs were wonderful in their own right. But that was the watershed moment. uh hem...like other...errrr....first moments......unforgetable..........:blush:

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.