• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Press Release: Redskins Agree to Trade for Tackle Jammal Brown

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
PRESS RELEASE

For Immediate Release
June 19, 2010

REDSKINS AGREE TO TRADE FOR TACKLE JAMMAL BROWN

LOUDOUN COUNTY, VA – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have agreed to a trade with the New Orleans Saints for tackle Jammal Brown in exchange for an undisclosed draft pick in the 2011 NFL Draft.

“We are pleased to add another proven NFL competitor to our team,” Redskins Executive Vice President/General Manager Bruce Allen said.

Brown (6-6, 313) has started all 58 games that he has played since the Saints selected him with the 13th overall pick in the 2005 NFL Draft. He began his career as the team’s right tackle, where he opened 13 games and was a member of the All-Rookie Team.

In 2006, Brown switched to left tackle, where he started 15 regular season contests and both postseason games, helping the Saints capture the NFC South title and lead the NFL in total offense and passing offense. He protected the blind side of quarterback Drew Brees, who led the NFL with 4,418 passing yards. Following the season, Brown was voted a Pro Bowl starter and earned All-Pro honors.

Brown earned his second Pro Bowl selection following the 2008 season when he once again helped New Orleans finish first in the league in overall and passing offense. Brees finished the season with 5,069 passing yards, the second-best mark in NFL history, and 34 touchdown passes, which tied for the league lead.

After missing the first three games of 2009 with hip and sports hernia injuries, Brown was placed on Injured Reserve and missed the rest of the season.

Brown played his college ball at the University of Oklahoma, where he was a four-year letter winner and three-year starter. He was an All-Big XII selection following his final three seasons and, as a senior, was awarded the 2004 Outland Trophy, given to the nation’s most outstanding offensive lineman. Brown earned his degree in from Oklahoma in May of 2009.

The 29-year-old Brown was born March 30, 1981, in Waxahachie, Texas, and attended MacArthur High School in Lawton, Okla.

... but Im almost always wrong.

Here, fixed that for you. :bucktooth:

Actually Mike, I agree with you. I like that we are addressing the line. It will be great to see Brown succeed, he has something to prove. But he is coming off a significant injury and we need to remember he has not shown anything yet. The important thing is the FO is working toward winning. I do take comfort in that.

Brown was healthy enough to play in the playoffs for the Saints - he is going to be fine.

Like Maa'ke on the other side of the ball, Brown's no sure thing to return to his previous form. He could be like Jon Jansen after the Achilles and never get back to pre-injury ability.

But from what I've been able to read Brown would have been pretty much ready to come back at playoff time last season if he hadn't already been put on IR.

The man's 29, and the Saints tendered him--it's not like they were simply cutting him loose.

I think the Skins got lucky on this one what with the CBA situation and the effect its had on FA compensation. Add to that they're not asking him to be on an island at LT, but on the strong side at RT.

Man doesn't even have to return to his Pro Bowl form, just be a solid dependable NFL RT. I'd take that bet if I had to put a sawbuck or two on it right now.

Brown was healthy enough to play in the playoffs for the Saints - he is going to be fine.

According to Brown he was capable of playing in the playoffs. I hope your right Jamie. I believe you are, but like I have stated many times, with the experience of the last 10 years, I remain guarded with my enthusiasm going into this season.

Edit: And he is almost assuredly an upgrade over Stephon Heyer even if he just performs to 75% of his potential.

He played (and played well) the entire 2008 season WITH the injury. I'd say he's gonna be okay. :)

Brown's also already played RT so it should be a natural transition for him too. Couple that with Hicks apparently looking very good and things are a hell of a lot rosier on the line than it has been for over a decade. We actually have a little depth! Someone pinch me, our RB might make it out of the backfield and our QB might actually get to set his feet! Now if they somehow find some center squirreled away I just might have to get my BP checked!

...things are a hell of a lot rosier on the line than it has been for over a decade...

Although I agree things are looking up, I would not go so far as to support this claim. When Ladell Betts had his 1200 yard season, our line was magnificent. And throughout the 2 Playoff years with Gibbs, we had pretty good line play. Until this line actually performs, I don't agree.

We were saying the same thing about Stinky Schlereth when we let him go and look what he did. I don't think there's any guarantees but Allen is no Vinny C and I think Allen did his homework on this one like Vinny seemed incapable of. The upside seems pretty high especially when you consider that he was ready to go last playoffs and the fact that NO seems to be loaded at that position with literally 3 starting quality guys by their account. The guy with the big contract and recent injury was bound to be the odd man out.

As a quick aside, I'm also curious to see if Big Mike continues to improve now that he's had a full year back in football. The talent that made him such a big prospect originally is still there, that could be an GREAT battle and problem for us to have at RG.

Although I agree things are looking up, I would not go so far as to support this claim. When Ladell Betts had his 1200 yard season, our line was magnificent. And throughout the 2 Playoff years with Gibbs, we had pretty good line play. Until this line actually performs, I don't agree.

Ahh but if ONE guy went down we were usually screwed, and it was never just one guy. It was several sometimes in the same game. That happens now and I actually feel pretty good about what's there to fill in. Even if they don't have that great of a year my point still stands. This FO is consciously looking at the Lines and actually drafted freaking linemen. The contrast to the previous F.O.s philosophy of not drafting linemen and only bringing in proven vets on the backside of their career is stark. Basically this F.O. takes the lines a lot more seriously than the previous one who never met a top flight skill player they didn't like. This F.O. seems to actually understand the "build from the inside out" concept, the last one...not so much.

Ahh but if ONE guy went down we were usually screwed, and it was never just one guy. It was several sometimes in the same game. That happens now and I actually feel pretty good about what's there to fill in. Even if they don't have that great of a year my point still stands. This FO is consciously looking at the Lines and actually drafted freaking linemen. The contrast to the previous F.O.s philosophy of not drafting linemen and only bringing in proven vets on the backside of their career is stark. Basically this F.O. takes the lines a lot more seriously than the previous one who never met a top flight skill player they didn't like. This F.O. seems to actually understand the "build from the inside out" concept, the last one...not so much.

Oh I agree with the majority of your assertion, but your argument about the "last ten years" is in retrospect. We have seen what has happened when one or 2 of those guys went down. But going into those seasons, our lines did look good on paper (Samules a perennial Pro Bowler and Jansen who should have made at least a couple with a couple of decent guards) and we did think we had some depth. There were 3 season that the Redskins O-line was quality, not great depth, but quality nonetheless.

At this point to suggest the promise we have going into this season is rosier than the line we had druing the most successful period in this decade is simply wishful thinking at this point. I hope you are correct CT, I am just not wearing those rose colored glasses yet.

Even if we have the right pieces it's going to take time for everything to come together. This was a solid football move that made sense on a lot of levels. As most of you have mentioned, that in itself is refreshing.

Quality starters AND some depth on the O-line. What a concept.

I guess my point is more on a big picture/philosophical tangent as opposed to what this specific team will do this year. I'm just in love with the fact that this F.O. seems to already show signs of understanding how to build a team from the outside in and that ignoring the lines is done at your peril. Contrast the previous regime with this one or with a team like Philly who drafts linemen in every draft and it's glaring.

Nonetheless I agree that this year's team isn't any rosier in prospective success short term than those 3 teams you listed, but somehow I feel like the backup plans are actual plans instead of knee jerk reactionary work like Vinny was famous for. I guess I just already have a comfort zone developing that never existed with the last crew. It was more like blind (as a bat) faith and hoping for the best.

...Nonetheless I agree that this year's team isn't any rosier in prospective success short term than those 3 teams you listed, but somehow I feel like the backup plans are actual plans instead of knee jerk reactionary work like Vinny was famous for. I guess I just already have a comfort zone developing that never existed with the last crew. It was more like blind (as a bat) faith and hoping for the best.

You know what the worst part is? I just feel so sour I am having a hard time putting the rose colored glasses on. I think what may be difficult for me to accept is that Shanahan, a coach I was never a real fan of, is going to succeed where my hero, Joe Gibbs, could not. That does not mean I don't want him to succeed, it is just hard to see him succeed when my hero couldn't. You know what I mean?

You know what the worst part is? I just feel so sour I am having a hard time putting the rose colored glasses on. I think what may be difficult for me to accept is that Shanahan, a coach I was never a real fan of, is going to succeed where my hero, Joe Gibbs, could not. That does not mean I don't want him to succeed, it is just hard to see him succeed when my hero couldn't. You know what I mean?
I prefer not to think of it in terms of Shanny vs. Gibbs and Shanny/Allen vs. Gibbs/Cerrato. Gibbs was undermined by the lack of talent selection by Cerrato. I think the pairing of Shanny & Allen is what's going to make a huge difference. The biggest mistake Gibbs made was not dumping Cerrato immediately and not bringing in a real GM to handle that side of things.

Oh, but I think he did succeed. Joe Gibbs got blood from a turnip, so to speak - those 2005 and 2007 teams had no business in the postseason, and it took an extraordinary motivator to get them to win the 5 and 4 games straight respectively to get there.

And there is no guarantee Shanahan will succeed, also. And if he does succeed, a lot of that will be due to Allen, and this organization finally having a good direction.

Oh, but I think he did succeed. Joe Gibbs got blood from a turnip, so to speak - those 2005 and 2007 teams had no business in the postseason, and it took an extraordinary motivator to get them to win the 5 and 4 games straight respectively to get there.

And there is no guarantee Shanahan will succeed, also. And if he does succeed, a lot of that will be due to Allen, and this organization finally having a good direction.

You're right Jamie, Gibbs was able to extract blood from a turnip. He was successful to a degree, but he still lost many more games than he won and that is disheartening. And you're right, he should have dumped Cerrato and I think that was his biggest failure and part of my gripe. Can you imagine if Gibbs did not have to deal with Cerrato and had a real GM? What if? And boy do I hate that term!

On the other hand I am fairly certain Shanahan is going to succeed here. I believe it is in large part because Allen and he seem to have brought in a new culture. They seem to have created what looks to be the beginning of a successful partnership.

Yea I hear ya. I was never a big Shanny fan either and Gibbs walks on water in my book. But he's our coach now so like always I'm in. I can identify with your hesitance but for me the fact that Vinny is gone pretty much wipes the slate clean in a way Gibbs never was able to. So I guess it's a wash in those regards.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.