• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Vick a Redskin?

Huly

The Rookie
Reaction score
I need advice from my B&G family. I received 18 text messages last night about rumors that Vick might become a Redskin. Well we all know how the rumor mill is around here but I am confused on how to approach this situation. As most of you know I am an animal rights activist. I work with the Humane Society and I am the Director of Adoptions for a Basset Hound Rescue based out of VA Beach. I am also an ex Vet Tech who has seen the consequences of dog fighting. The rescue I work with helped house some of the Beagles Vick used as bait dogs. Y’all also know I love my B&G and I am a true Redskin fan.

The thought of Vick being a Redskin turns my stomach. The pig headed side of me refuses to have anything to do with the team including going to games if they sign Vick. After some intense thought this morning I did have to realize that if his heart is pure and he realizes what he did was wrong and he is willing to help others not make the same mistakes he did that I need to give him a second chance and forgive him. I am battling my love for the Redskins and my beliefs with animal cruelty. I am confused and I need my B&G family’s thoughts on this situation and I am also asking my animal rescue group members their thoughts on this situation. Most of our members are Redskin fans and football fans so I assume they will be as confused as I am. :cry:

huly - i understand where you and others are coming from, but i've grown tired of trying to reconcile my personal values with my rooting interests in professional sports. i can only hope vick is rehabilitated. even if no one is interested in him now, you know someone will call when their QB is injured or slumping.

He will be with a team soon. (wildcat offense) I am a dog lover. I can say out of my top ten best friends in my life, 5 have been dogs. That being said I have a hard time resolving my pro dog bias with what happens in slaughter houses to some of my other favorite beasts pigs and cows. I believe after one pays their dues, they should be given a chance. I am just not sure how he fits here. Zorn, I believe, does not want to use the wildcat. If he does don't we have someone else who can run it?

huly - i understand where you and others are coming from, but i've grown tired of trying to reconcile my personal values with my rooting interests in professional sports. i can only hope vick is rehabilitated. even if no one is interested in him now, you know someone will call when their QB is injured or slumping.

I do not know how to seperate my values. I have been an animal rights person since I was 5 years old and I started working/ volunteering at Vet clinics etc by age 13. I have only been a redskin fan the last 11 years. Honestly one of the reason I liked the Redskins so much and chose them as my NFL team is I liked what they stood for and they they did not hire every convict off the street. Yeah we have a had a few players who have had minor issues but we have not hired your Ray Lewis etc.

so vick's return to the nfl is okay with you, just not with the redskins?

so vick's return to the nfl is okay with you, just not with the redskins?

Honestly any team he would go to I would have a major issue and would send off a nasty gram, boycott etc.

On a funny side I was hoping if he went anywhere it would be Dallas as it would give me more reason to despise them.

I am just having major issues now as I love the Redskins and I do not know how I can support a team with him on it.

Last edited:
My advice would be, if you trust your instincts, then, trust your instincts. Most of the time, I do what my gut tells me. And, I would of course argue, that I've been right most of the time.

If you don't trust your gut, then listen to your head, not your heart.

Now, that aside, I don't think you'll need to worry. I'll be shocked if we go after him, and I'm rarely shocked by anything.

He sucks as a QB, and the distractions that are sure to follow him, and rightfully so, make it a stupid move for every team in the league.

He has a right to be eligible, since he served his time. But all the teams have the right to not sign him, as well. I hope nobody signs him. And, if someone does, I hope PETA, and every other person who want to protest, does. I hope they make it so intolerable, that the team will be forced to release him. I hope he's booed unmercifully everywhere he goes. I hope whoever signs him pays for it, both in revenue loss, as well as ridicule and scorn. And, if that team be the Redskins, so be it.

I'll find a way to live it, when I have to.

This is a tough one.

Many say Vick has paid his debt to society, so let him play.

But as Huly alludes to, there may be more to it than that. There's something about this guy that isn't right. And I am not sure it's a maturity thing. For example, there's no point in my life that I could have done the things Vick has done, mature or otherwise.

My thought is, don't worry about it yet. The chances of us signing him aren't great. :)

I'd have serious issues with this team if they signed him. While I'm no tree huging animal rights type by any means, he went far beyond the pale. That, and I just get a bad vibe off the thug. Yeah, he may have paid his debt, but he can remake his millions elsewhere.

Hopefully the danny passes, unless he comes out with snyder brand dog food and wants to get vick to pitch it

This is a tough one.

Many say Vick has paid his debt to society, so let him play.

But as Huly alludes to, there may be more to it than that. There's something about this guy that isn't right. And I am not sure it's a maturity thing. For example, there's no point in my life that I could have done the things Vick has done, mature or otherwise.

My thought is, don't worry about it yet. The chances of us signing him aren't great. :)

My other major concern is kids look up to these guys and how could any child have him as a hero.

My brain is going into overdrive mode. :help:

Ax I agree with you. I disagree with PETA as I see them as extremist (sp) but there will be a lot of negative press and backlash from animal lovers across the world.

My brain is going into overdrive mode. :help:
I know it's hard for a lot of people, but spending time worrying about something that hasn't happened, and may never, is time taken away from things that have. Besides, we all sometime say, "what we would do if", only to change our mind once actually confronted with the situation.

Just let things happen, those that you can't control, and then deal with it the best you can, with all the available tools at your disposal. (i.e. gut-head-heart-wallet-etc)

I'm a dog lover too. However I don't see any reason that Vick shouldn't be reinstated. He's served his time and he should be given ONE more chance.

With that said, I don't want him anywhere near the Redskins. Aside from the issues Tandler mentioned, there are two more compelling reasons why it's a horrible idea for this franchise in particular.

First, Snyder has a real problem keeping his distance from the players. This has been a well documented issue with Bruce Smith, Lavar, Portis and perhaps others. The dynamic that creates is a huge problem for team chemistry. For this reason, until Snyder learns to keep his distance certain types of star players are always going to be problematic for us. To further complicate this problem for this particular player, Vick already has a history of manipulating the owner in Atlanta and worse, lied to him and the commissioner immediately before the dog fighting story broke. Nice. :(

Of even greater concern than the above though, is the fact that we need to fix our QB situation for the long-term. If JC isn't the answer, we need to figure out if Colt, Chase or someone else is. Vick would come in and do what he always does, i.e. use his running skills to sell tickets and mask shortcomings in the OL and his very average skills passing the ball.

In the meantime, we'd know little or nothing of what we have in the two young guys, at least one of which has a decent shot at working out. If that happens, the young QB in question would be something we haven't had here in a long time-a legit, pure passer. If it happens, I want it to be with us, not someone else.

Vick? :stop:

Last edited:
I am just having major issues now as I love the Redskins and I do not know how I can support a team with him on it.

What the guy did was subhuman. He bred dogs for fighting & tortured and/or killed ones that didn't meet his "lofty" performance expectations or lost him money. He'd still be doing it today, had he not gone to jail in gambling charges. Something like 6-7 were killed by his hand alone.

If the Redskins ever signed this guy, I would be through. I'd part with every piece of merchandise I owned, plain and simple. As if Snyder hasn't done enough to chew on my nerves as it is, this would be the final blow. I don't get the whole underdog mentality (no pun intended) of people with this guy. It just makes no sense.

Now, from a performance perspective... you'd be looking at a guy with a 53% completion number who is two years away from the game playing in the WCO (not exactly his strong suit, as if he has one as a pocket QB) and a weak FO structure.

Just that alone, regardless the other mess, is reason to pass.

Last edited:
It doesn't look like you have to worry about it, Huly.

Cerrato has told Jason Reid twice that the Skins aren't interested.

And although I agree with Yusuf that Vick deserves a second chance, I would not be surprised at all if he's not afforded one this year. If a team does sign him they are going to take a big PR hit and his inclusion on their roster will be a hot topic in every city they visit.

Only the Dallas Cowboys seem to relish that type of attention.

Last edited:
I hope and pray that Vick does not become a Redskin, but for now I am going to take the "Wait and See" approach.

I think it's funny how supposedly Vick has been seen in town, yet The Danny and Vinny are not in town.

Every "big name" in football goes on the market, and the Redskins are getting them.

Bla Bla Bla, yadda yadda yadda

I never put much stock in to Vick before he was a convicted felon as a Pure QB in the NFL, and I'm not convinced that he learned anything further while incarcerated.

All that aside, if I was polled on who was the better pure athlete Vick or Campbell, well IMHO that's a no brainer.

I'll give my 2cents on the move if and when it happens. Until then, I'd be blocking some people from text messaging.

Well since the Vick issue is still a rumor, I want to throw this out there. How would you handle it if the Redskins signed any player that you can not support? How do you support a team but NOT an individual player? Is that even possible?

Be it Vick, Ray Lewis, Dante Stallworth, Pacman Jones etc etc

Well since the Vick issue is still a rumor, I want to throw this out there. How would you handle it if the Redskins signed any player that you can not support? How do you support a team but NOT an individual player? Is that even possible?

Be it Vick, Ray Lewis, Dante Stallworth, Pacman Jones etc etc
Personally, I can think of a few players the Skins have right now I don't support. Not because they were convicted felons, but because I don't see how they make the team any better. Archuletta was an example of this a couple of years ago.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.