• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Cerrato Discusses Season of 'High Expectations'

brandies

The 1st Round Pick
Reaction score
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/jason-reid/cerrato-discusses-season-of-hi.html#more

With training camp starting Thursday, I figured this would be a good time to check in with Vinny Cerrato on the state of the Skins (being sharp just comes naturally to me). As we all know, owner Daniel Snyder has the final word, but Cerrato has the top football title and the responsibility/pressure that accompanies the gig.

Occasionally, Cerrato has expressed anger about things I've reported. But it's not personal with me -- it's strictly business -- so I sent him a text recently to rap about the upcoming season. Zack Bolno got us together on the phone last week and Cerrato shared his vision of how things should develop.

Throughout our conversation, I got the impression he believes the Skins have the talent to get to the playoffs. After missing out last season for the seventh time during Snyder's 10 seasons directing the franchise, Cerrato said. "Within this building, we have high expectations for ourselves."

Much of his optimism is based on the team's major offseason additions on defense. On Cerrato's recommendation, Snyder approved another free agent shopping spree that included the signing of all-pro defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth and the re-signing of cornerback DeAngelo Hall. Washington also brought back veteran guard Derrick Dockery as part of its effort to bolster the offensive line, which was a glaring weakness.

Washington had the No. 4 overall defense in the league last season, but the Skins just didn't produce enough sacks and turnovers. The inability of the defense to make big plays and get off the field late in the season was a big factor in a 1-5 stretch from Nov. 3 through Dec. 14, and an 8-8 record after a 6-2 start. Haynesworth, Hall and defensive end/linebacker Brian Orakpo, Washington's unsigned first-round pick, are expected to have big roles in transforming Greg Blache's steady, successful bunch into a productive big-play group.

CLICK LINK FOR REST OF ARTICLE

Doesn't "High Expectations" imply that someone SOMEWHERE believes this team can actually achieve something?

I'm pretty sure that anyone who knows anything about football realizes that this team should have Mediocre Expectations... at best. If we do achieve something higher than that, it's a pleasant (and welcome) surprise.

in today's NFL an average team with good luck in re schedule and injuries can be 9-7 or 10-6 and make the playoffs.

so, going in everyone but the Lions, Chiefs, Raiders and a few others have some belief that they can get to the postseason.

teams go from 5-11 or 6-10 to 10-6 or 11-5 with regularity these days in the NFL.

Just look at the Dolphins in 2008.

Anyone have them pegged for the division title even with Brady's injury? :)

I think expectations to make the playoffs are not out of the realm of possibility.

I don't think this is a Super Bowl team.

But then again the 9-7 Cardinals were in the Super Bowl last year.

That goes to show you how watered down the league has become.

Arizona was perhaps the worst team overall I have seen in a Super Bowl personnel wise.

Yes, they have Warner, Fitzgerald and Boldin.

But who really stands out on that team on the OL, LB, RB, CB, S?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.