• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Colt Brennan - Year Two

Mark, I understand what you're trying to say, although you could take any play gone wrong and argue it was 'right there' if only the player had 'executed' just a little better. The bottom line is, if it took a perfect throw to connect there (maybe it did, maybe it didn't), it was probably a very ill-advised decision to try it. It's not like (by my recollection anyway) he botched the throw - it wasn't some lame-duck wobbler - he simply shouldn't have thrown it when he did. That's a bad decision. Recognizing Brennan *could have* made a big play out of it doesn't change that in my mind.

That's the thing, brother, it wouldn't have taken a perfect throw. There was a ton of open space in front of Hackett, in the direction he was already breaking, for Colt to put the ball. It should have been an easy play. If you get a chance to see it again you'll see the same thing. The only thing I'm worried about at this point isn't why Colt chose to throw the pass (hell if he hadn't, and we saw the replay, we'd be wondering why the hell he didn't throw it), but why he didn't put it out front where it simply had to be.

You need to find a way to see the replay. I'm tellin' ya. :)

Well, you're right, I'm going purely off memory. And I can acknowledge, there is an inarguable tendency to condemn throwing any pass that has that kind of outcome. I'll try and keep an open mind about young Obi-wan :)

And I'll try to iso and youtube the play. Will make a great blog entry. :)

Some people are experiential learners. I think Colt is one of those. Consistency will come with reps with the players he will be playing with come gametime. Colt has a lot of 6th sense and opens a communication channel as wide as the Mississippi for his guys to align with when a rhythm can be established.

As has been said before... this is preseason and time to get out there and learn from experience in gametime scenarios when losses don't hurt the team record. I hope they play him a lot with the starters to help him establish in his mind and muscles, the next stage of this journey.

I gotta say that even though the points say loss, I think the Redskins came out real winners yesterday. Especially Jason, Coach Zorn and the first team!
HTTR!

That sentence is quite important. Come game time, during the season, Colt will NOT be on the field......not this year.....maybe not next. He has NOT shown this 6th sense of which you speak. Game time losses may not hurt the team in pre-season, but pre-season allows those who coach PREDICT what those players may do in a regular game situation.

I found his take on it interesting, there were two elements that contributed to the INT: timing and accuracy. In Brennan's own words:

Basically, just talking to [Offensive Assistant Coach Chris] Meidt, he said I went seven-step on that play, which was [supposed to be] a five-step drop. I didn’t really notice it, but if that is the case that kind of explains why I might have been late and given the defensive back a chance to break on the ball. Basically they were playing man and we had a guy go up, press, and break out and I kind of just threw it. At this level out here you always hear guys say you can’t throw it here (gestures towards chest), you’ve got to throw it here (extends arms out) because [the first example] is pick, the other is not. And that was kind of the case. I threw it [towards the chest]. Had I thrown it [outside], I would have been fine, but I threw it and gave the DB a chance to step in a pick it.

Source: http://www.warpathconfidential.com/?p=860

I hadn't picked up from reviewing the tape that he took 7 steps instead of 5, but it makes sense given the timing looked a little off ... a beat slow. Still, the play was set up to score anyway. Kelly took the corner on that side to the back of the end zone, and there was no other defender between Hackett and the pylon. Colt saw the same thing on tape--he simply didn't throw the ball far enough out front.

Amazing what a foot or two either way can do. He hits that pass, and maybe leaves that game with 2 TD's and zero picks ... and his stock looks one hell of alot different than it does because he threw a yard too far to the left one time.

Om, this is exactly the way I saw that play - good decision, bad pass.

Like you said, if he adjusts that throw just a tad (definitely something that he can learn, if that play didn't give him the full education), that would have given him a TD against the Patriot's FIRST-TEAM DEFENSE. While playing with all backups. It didn't have to be a perfect throw or anything - the play was wide open. Combine that with the great TD toss to Mitchell, and people would be glowing about him right now.

But, he was late with the ball, and put it in the one place that he couldn't put it, and now people want him run out of town. I hope Zorn shows a bit more patience with him :).

The only problem I have with the "he can learn" argument is, sometimes people can't learn.

See exhibit A: Jeff George.

The only problem I have with the "he can learn" argument is, sometimes people can't learn.

See exhibit A: Jeff George.

For all I know, that same thing has happened to Brennan several times in practice. Maybe he's just a knucklehead that is set on doing things his own way.

I'm sure we'll know soon if this is the case with Brennan - if he keeps repeating the same simple mistakes, he'll probably be cut. If he makes the team, though, I suspect that Zorn believes that this is not the case.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.