• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Windows 7

stevenaa

The Team Captain
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score
I'm running the release of Windows 7 and it is superb. Performance is fantastic and search is instant. Start typing something you're looking for and it will show up in a list before you stop typing. You no longer have to mentally index where you've stuck something. Just type part of it's name and it will appear in the list. Very smooth. I'll be happy to answer any questions on features if you have them.

I have it running in a VM as well and am so far very pleased. Trying to hold off replacing my current PC (5 year old Dell) until I can get it without ever having to experience Vista.

What I really like is that it is so much more resource friendly than Vista.

Are you running the 32 bit or 64 bit version?

Last edited:
I have it running in a VM as well and am so far very pleased. Trying to hold off replacing my current PC (5 year old Dell) until I can get it without ever having to experience Vista.

What I really like is that it is so much more resource friendly than Vista.

Are you running the 32 bit or 64 bit version?

32 bit. There's very little reason to run 64 bit unless you need to run 64bit applications. There are some trivial benefits like more paged and non-paged memory pool, but home users typically don't run into resource depletion issues where those are concerned.

You won't have to wait for long. As soon as it is available to the general public, you'll get it with most PC's as a free upgrade, though you'll have to do the upgrade yourself on machines built with Vista.

32 bit. There's very little reason to run 64 bit unless you need to run 64bit applications. There are some trivial benefits like more paged and non-paged memory pool, but home users typically don't run into resource depletion issues where those are concerned.

You won't have to wait for long. As soon as it is available to the general public, you'll get it with most PC's as a free upgrade, though you'll have to do the upgrade yourself on machines built with Vista.

I can''t wait. WHile I've had no trouble from Vista in the three weeks since my new Dell showed up, it doesn't talk very well to the computers at work. Hopefully the remove/install will be relatively simple

Glad to hear it's smooth

I'm wondering how it will do with legacy apps from XP? I'm still with XP Pro and, after having tried Vista on some friends pcs decided to skip it entirely. I've heard generally good reports about 7 but I run a lot of freeware/free open source software. I've read that if the software was tested on Vista and worked that it should run with no problem on Windows 7-most of the apps I use are Vista-compatible, but a few specialty pieces haven't been tested on Vista and I'm curious about whether they will work with 7.

Sure. Makes sense for most home users.

Upgrading myself doesn't bother me but my experience with Vista on my wife's laptop has absolutely convinced me that if I can avoid running it at all I am better off. Frankly, my blood pressure can't take it. ;)

I'm wondering how it will do with legacy apps from XP? I'm still with XP Pro and, after having tried Vista on some friends pcs decided to skip it entirely. I've heard generally good reports about 7 but I run a lot of freeware/free open source software. I've read that if the software was tested on Vista and worked that it should run with no problem on Windows 7-most of the apps I use are Vista-compatible, but a few specialty pieces haven't been tested on Vista and I'm curious about whether they will work with 7.

Vista compatible apps will be fine. XP compatible apps will be fine too with a new feature. Basically you'll install Virtual PC (free) and create a Virtual Machine of XP (also free). When you have an app that needs to run in XP, after configuration, you'll have an icon on the desktop to run the app. It will start and run in XP but will be seamless and appear to be running in Win 7.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.