• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Physical Fitness/Training Thread

Welp, I tried getting back to Tae Kwon Do after about a six-month break. Survived the first class and a few days later my back went out. It been a bad one. Bad. I literally couldn't walk for an entire week, and then the next week could only hobble around like an old man. The third week I could move around ok, but it still hurt. I tried a 2-mile walk during Week Three and that was ... a bad idea. It is now Week Four and I just tried another two mile walk. The back is still sore but not as bad as last week. We'll see.

I am hopeful to get back to running soon. Maybe next week. But TKD, I think ... I think I'm done. It's a young man's sport. My flexibility has gotten considerably worse over the past year (another reason why I hadn't been going much). And if you can't kick you can't do TKD.

Still, I refuse to turn into an Old Man just yet. There's a boxing club down the street I've been eyeing for a few years. I think I might actually walk in and pick up a flyer.

Whenever my back finally loosens up ...

I can't say enough about how great boxing classes are. One of the greatest decisions I've made in my life.

Like you, I wasn't so interested in getting down on the mat with 25 year old guys, but still wanted something in the combat sports arena, and I have always been a fan of boxing.

I bet you'll be shocked at how good of a coach you can find, and how reasonably priced the training is.

I'd suggest not only looking for boxing gyms, but I'd also extend your search to the MMA gyms. I had some luck at a gym called American Top Team here in Orlando. I couldn't believe the credentials of my boxing coach, nor could I figure out why he would ever waste time with me.

But not a lot of people take straight boxing classes these days. So these guys are usually very happy for a new client. Good luck! And feel better!

Last edited:
Keep up the good work Mike. I think as you get older, lighter weights and higher reps is the way to go. I have been hitting the gym most days after work (occasionally before, although I'll confess I pretty much hate working out early in the morning). First month I have mostly been spending an hour on a stationary bike. I've started to mix in weights. I am feeling fitter. It's always odd to me that initially, I never seem to shed lbs, but rather it feels like I'm shifting weight around and toning up. I'm also eating much healthier. Hopefully will start to shed some weight as I go forward. I am mostly motivated to exercise because my job is stressful as hell and it helps me to stay calm :)

So for a plethora of reasons, I gained freaking weight again, despite multiple days of training every week. Hitting it hard of late to take it back off. I look like god damned uncle freaking fester like this and I hate it! LOL. Back in the saddle with a low carb lifestyle (seems to work best for me) and lots more exercise both cardio and anaerobic. Dropped some already but lots to go.

I did hit a major milestone, finally attained my next Kung Fu rank after 19 months at the last one. just one more stands between me and Black sash!(belt)

I broke my pinky in the middle of the test during a multi-opponent fight. Not a biggie really, but it has been getting in the way of things like push ups and lifting.

Gonna get back on the horse! I was doing great through May of this past year. Was riding a stationary bike for an hour every day after work and then mixing in weights and was seeing real progress. Then we had a huge computer transition at work, my job heated up, and totally fell off the wagon.

To help motivate me to get back at it, bought a fitness tracker this weekend. I'd previously had a Nike Fuelband (they don't make them anymore) and it was a fun little toy, but it lacked some things I wanted. After some net research, I bought a Garmin Forerunner 235. It's a watch-type fitness tracker, pricier than I was planning on, but it does some things I couldn't find in cheaper models:

- It's essentially waterproof, so I don't need to worry about forgetting to take it off before jumping into a pool
- It has GPS, so it can track my route whether walking, biking, running, etc...
- It has activity modes for running outdoors, indoors, cycling, and 'other' activities
- It has an optical HR tracker and also tracks calories burned
- It looks normal enough that I will wear it like a regular watch, unlike most of the multi-function devices I've looked at

There is a ton of functionality on this thing (even sleep tracking if I want to look at that). It links to a phone app and a PC app where if I wanted I could slice my activity up to my heart's content.

It's a pretty amazing little device. Only bitch so far, the screen is an LED-based one and it's quite dim. I think it's mostly designed to be used outdoors. Other than that - very impressive.

Now I just need to get my ass in gear.

So what did everyone else do today for a workout?

Shovel icy snow. I have a slate roof so that shit slides off in big chunks because they installed cheap ice dams. The every bit of snow/ice on the back of the house slid off and shook the whole house. But the front of the house it fell off on my sidewalk. Anyone ever try to shovel icy snow after enormous amounts have fallen about 20 ft from a roof? That shit was so packed I had to use a digging bar to break it up.

Hell yeah thats a workout indeed. Was scraping icy snow off the front porch and was winded quickly yesterday.Tho I'm out of shape big time lol.

Taking a Combat Training class every day at 6am - pretty intense but I'm building strength for the first time in forever, which is great. Supplementing that with half an hour of cardio most days as well. I'm down 12 lbs since Jan 5. Need to drop another 10-15 I think and then I'll be really happy.

Drove to Raleigh today - they have a 30+ mile paved greenway that runs the entire way along the Neuse River. Very nice place to ride, but it was scorching hot. I did 50 but only because I went out 25 and the only way I was getting home was to make it back to the car. Averaged 17 mph which isn't too bad for an old fart.

Boone do you know anything about spin class style exercise bikes? Wanna get one in the next few days but not sure on model and brand.

I've done a total of one spin class. So no. If I were you, I'd slow down and talk to a few gym owners before I bought one. Some stationary bikes are great and some are a waste of money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What are people's thoughts on working out shortly before sleep ?
I've heard that it will help you fall asleep faster, due to the exhaustion from the workout.
But on the other hand, I'm thinking other factors, such as the increased adrenaline and the 'stimulant' effects of working out, may actually hinder being able to fall asleep, for one who typically has difficulty with insomnia.
Anyone have experiences with a type of workout that is better suited for putting you to sleep quicker ?

I personally would rather work out in the evening, basically because I'm the furthest thing from a morning person. I do sleep MUCH better but you definitely wanna do it several hours before bedtime because it does wake your mind up a little and goes against drowsiness, for me anyways.

As some know, and others who may not, I tore my achilles 16 months ago. Due to insurance issues, right when I was to start the rigorous physical therapy, about a year ago...my insurance would not pay. Why? pre-existing condition!!!

So, I was forced to change insurance companies at the start of last year, the new insurance company denied my claim. For almost 7 months I battled until they finally agreed to pay for the physical therapy I needed 8 months prior. Anyway, 11 months after surgery, I started the rigorous PT. Within 3 months I was amazed how much it helped, my pain levels and mobility got significantly better, but I hit a wall. After 2 more months of PT, I was not getting past a certain point.

My doctor told me to keep plugging away with PT, and if it doesn't get any better we'll do another MRI. I asked to do the MRI back in October, at month 4, he said one more month.

Well, I finally got the MRI a week ago because I waited his month and finally got in after the holidays.

Mother*(&*^*%*()&)!!!!!!!!!!!

He looked at the tendon and said, "That is a good, thick, strong achilles!" I said, OK...then why am I still having such tremendous pain in certain situations?

He checked again where I had been telling him for 4 months where that pain was...he finally found it, a f**&^%%^& bonespur on the heal at the point of the achilles connection.

I have to have surgery AGAIN!!!!

If I had gotten the MRI back in October like I wanted, I could have had surgery in November.

Well, my business is taking off and I cannot miss the next 3-4 months unable to walk, it's make it or break it time for the business and things are I can see a tremendous year ahead, and the months of Feb through June are critical in this line of work.

I will have to put the surgery off until summer at best, or more probable...next Thanksgiving.

Before the surgery, I had lost 30 pounds, gotten back below 250 for the first time in a while. After the surgery, I gained 54 pounds...over 290 for the first time in my life. Wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too much! I should be at 215-225 tops.

I have been dealing with the physical issues that had kept me from being motivated to get to fighting shape...then this mother*(*&%$#% achilles tear which will set me back nearly 2 years...if I were to have the surgery now.

Ugh!

Started eating better, weight is slowly coming off which will help, but the idea that I can go hiking like I used to will be postponed another summer. I will have to get back in the canoe.

Wow - I knew you'd torn your achilles but didn't know you were struggling still. None of my business, but I'd consider getting the surgery for the bone spur sooner rather than later. Hang in there brother! :cheers:

Wow - I knew you'd torn your achilles but didn't know you were struggling still. None of my business, but I'd consider getting the surgery for the bone spur sooner rather than later. Hang in there brother! :cheers:

I talked to the doctor, and he said the same thing...but that if I am diligent, use a couple of gel pads, it won't do any significant damage until I can actually take the 6-8 weeks off work to get it fixed. I simply cannot afford to take the time off now, as my business is about to explode, and I took a big hit last year trying to get it up and running.

As of this morning, I am down about 16 lbs in about 2 months. To get to my ideal weight, I would need to lose another 20 lbs or so. I have not been in that neighborhood since I was in my 30's so I don't know how realistic that is? I've dropped weight almost exclusively with diet (keto). I am thinking about transitioning back to a regular diet next week (as this shit is unsustainable over the long haul imho) and starting P90X which is a ball-buster and guaranteed to result in weight loss.

I have grown to hate the keto diet, but there is no doubt that it is a relatively easy program to drop significant lbs over a accelerated time period.

And for any of you who have thought of late 'That Boone - he's a real prick!', trust me - if you were eating what I've eaten over the past 2 months, you'd be there as well :)

As of this morning, I am down about 16 lbs in about 2 months. To get to my ideal weight, I would need to lose another 20 lbs or so. I have not been in that neighborhood since I was in my 30's so I don't know how realistic that is? I've dropped weight almost exclusively with diet (keto). I am thinking about transitioning back to a regular diet next week (as this shit is unsustainable over the long haul imho) and starting P90X which is a ball-buster and guaranteed to result in weight loss.

I have grown to hate the keto diet, but there is no doubt that it is a relatively easy program to drop significant lbs over a accelerated time period.

And for any of you who have thought of late 'That Boone - he's a real prick!', trust me - if you were eating what I've eaten over the past 2 months, you'd be there as well :)
I've done it, lost 50 pounds doing it. And it is not sustainable. However, I need to completely change my diet because of my body type. I weigh WAY too much right now and diet is a large reason. I have a 22 inch neck...not healthy.

Glad to be getting back on the road physically, I can walk much more than I could...but my eating habits are not ideal.

So I have to go keto again, but once the weight is off maintain a pretty strict diet or I will fall prey to gaining it all back like I always have. Which means I probably have to get used to that diet with some variance once the weight is off.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 6)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.