• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Physical Fitness/Training Thread

Did 5 mph/8 mph intervals again today. Pushed the first 8 mph interval up to six minutes. Survived it and it was actually a little easier than last week.

Next week I'll try pushing the second interval up to 6 and see how it goes.

Just out of curiosity, how did you pick 5/8 for your intervals? Just what felt comfortable? Or did you read that somewhere?

Just out of curiosity, how did you pick 5/8 for your intervals? Just what felt comfortable? Or did you read that somewhere?

Well, 5 mph is my slowest cruising speed. I usually use that for warm-ups or long runs. It's a light jog and I can catch my breath at that speed.

I picked 8 mph because it's faster than I pretty much ever go. Even when I've done speed training I don't usually go higher than 7.5. But I've been feeling good lately and I wanted to see if I've sped up at all.

So far so good. If I could hold that pace for a mile (7 and a half minutes) that would be pretty cool.

It's all pretty casual these days. I don't have a set goal of any kind to work towards until November so I'm messing around a bit.

Did P90X Core-something today with my sister and friends. Definitely a good workout, but I couldn't do as many of the side planks on my right side, chaturanga push-ups or regular push-ups he was asking for, in fact, I couldn't do most of them because of my dang shoulder. I tried to supplement different core exercise in for the ones that put pressure on the shoulder, but I don't think I got as kick ass of a workout as I would have being able to follow everything exactly. :/

I think we're doing the cardio P90X tomorrow...

Core Synergistics! One of my favorite workouts. It is hard on everything.

Lol i was gonna put a 'thats what she said' tag to it. Gonna break out tbe jump rope tonight.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

I dont care what its based on, I dropped 60 lbs cutting out grains and it seems to work pretty well for me.

The article seemed more to take exception to the overall philosophy of it than on the actual results.

Yeah...I guess in the end its the results that matter - but I think its important to have a valid reason for doing what you're doing, diet wise. Cutting out the genetically modified crap is a good enough one, IMO.

Also, they don't really debase the diet itself, just the scientific fantasy-land its based on. Sometimes you can get the right answer by luck; and even a broken clock is right twice a day! :)

Jeebus I've eaten like such a fatass for the last week or so. Since I passed my pt test it's been the great glutton tour 2013. Gonna fix it though when I deploy soon.

In a perfect world, I would be a pure 'Mediterranean Diet' guy as I love olive oil, eggplant tomato, garlic, fish, poultry, etc... But true Mediterranean diet restricts meat, especially red meat - that's tough for me to cut out. Maybe I just need to convert entirely to ostrich meat :). My biggest challenge is that my wife has a terrible diet and buys a lot of processed foods (ironically she is skinny as a rail). I would eat a lot healthier if I didn't have to shop for myself continuously.

Hoping as I get my garden back in full gear that I'll be able to eat healthier...

I've gotta try that Ostrich meat. It sounds like a very reasonable option for a beef addict like myself!

side note: Based on some commentary in another thread, I am only going to speak about my weight loss status in this thread going forward, I fear I have coming off badly in my excitement talking about my Kung Fu hobby and approach to personal fitness. I dont want to be seen that way.

I've gotta try that Ostrich meat. It sounds like a very reasonable option for a beef addict like myself!

side note: Based on some commentary in another thread, I am only going to speak about my weight loss status in this thread going forward, I fear I have coming off badly in my excitement talking about my Kung Fu hobby and approach to personal fitness. I dont want to be seen that way.

Naw man, you don't come off badly talking about your kung-fu! I think our resident Aussie just came off a little harsher than he intended.

Naw man, you don't come off badly talking about your kung-fu! I think our resident Aussie just came off a little harsher than he intended.

Thats cool, and I am likely a bit oversensitive to a lot lately, have some personal stuff Im wading through). If I ever do get out of whack, just whisper to me and it will be fixed!

It's kind of tough to talk about working out without sounding a little bit like bragging. I'm always a little trepidacious about posting what I'm doing, but I think if there's a place to do it it would be here. I think the point of this thread is all about encouraging each other to keep going.

So keep going, and don't worry about it. :)

It's kind of tough to talk about working out without sounding a little bit like bragging. I'm always a little trepidacious about posting what I'm doing, but I think if there's a place to do it it would be here. I think the point of this thread is all about encouraging each other to keep going.

So keep going, and don't worry about it. :)

Exactly right Henry!

I think this is appropriate time to note that I have a Tae Kwon Do exam coming up, and if I pass it I'll only have one more to go before my 2nd Dan test. Review class today and next week and then the test. Time to increase the cardio.

Oh, and just remember I'm really manly and can kick all yours ***.

That is all.

I think this is appropriate time to note that I have a Tae Kwon Do exam coming up, and if I pass it I'll only have one more to go before my 2nd Dan test. Review class today and next week and then the test. Time to increase the cardio.

Oh, and just remember I'm really manly and can kick all yours ***.

That is all.

You are gonna nail it!!! Oh, and I have zero doubt you could kick my arse all over the place!

(but can you do it in Australia too?:betterwink2: )

You are gonna nail it!!! Oh, and I have zero doubt you could kick my arse all over the place!

(but can you do it in Australia too?:betterwink2: )

Actually, I suspect if you could manage to close on me it would be a very interesting fight. :)

TKD, especially these days, does not prepare you for any inside work. When I was a kid our training was about 70/30 kicks to punches. Nowadays it's closer to 90/10, if that. Hand striking in sparring matches these days is almost non-existant.

Actually, I suspect if you could manage to close on me it would be a very interesting fight. :)

TKD, especially these days, does not prepare you for any inside work. When I was a kid our training was about 70/30 kicks to punches. Nowadays it's closer to 90/10, if that. Hand striking in sparring matches these days is almost non-existant.

see? we need to work together on our own hybrid art!

On a serious note, You should look into Chi Sau (sticky hands) as an additional training mechanism. I've found its changed the way I fight, especially inside, substantially. Most Kung Fu schools have folks who do open chi sau in parks and stuff with anyone who is interested. Its more of a friendly game in feel.

I'm looking at getting into Hapkido. Never done martial arts much outside of fencing but always wanted to. Time is something of a issue though and I don't want to do it halfassed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 5)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.