• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

ESPN's NFC East Blog: Daniel Snyder's fed up with Albert

BGO

We've talked about how Daniel Snyder has taken a less intrusive approach since Mike Shanahan and Bruce Allen have taken over, but the Redskins owner made some pointed comments during an appearance at a club charity function Saturday. It turns out that Shanahan's not the only one frustrated with Albert Haynesworth's no-show to the team's "voluntary" offseason workouts.

"Yeah, I'm disappointed he's not here. Absolutely," said Snyder. "We're expecting our players to lead by example, and we're expecting our players to understand that they're Redskins and they need to be there."

To borrow a line from T.O.'s former publicist, the unflappable Kim Etheredge, Haynesworth has $32 million reasons to be at Redskins Park this offseason. That's how much guaranteed money he's been paid by Snyder over the past 15 months. Haynesworth and Shanahan have basically engaged in a public standoff over the last couple months. And I think it's important to Shanahan that his players see him prevail.

That's why it still would not surprise me to see Haynesworth traded sometime before the season. Even if he shows up at next month's mandatory minicamp as expected, it's going to be a distraction. I'm sure defensive coordinator Jim Haslett hates the fact that he'll have to spoonfeed the new defense to Haynesworth while the rest of his unit is weeks ahead in the transition from a 4-3 to a 3-4 scheme. Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing what type of shape Haynesworth's in after all the work he's put in with that trainer in Nashville. Have we gotten the name of that trainer yet?

Haynesworth is either the most stubborn player in the league -- or the most ungrateful. And judging by the words coming out of Redskins Park, he's losing his battle with Shanahan. Everyone else in the organization has vowed allegiance to Shanahan. And if Haynesworth has any supporters, they're wisely keeping it to themselves.

By the way, I'm on vacation for the next week. But we'll have daily Beastlines and commentary from the excellent Matt Williamson to keep things rolling. Enjoy the time off -- from me.

More...

Haynesworth is either the most stubborn player in the league -- or the most ungrateful. And judging by the words coming out of Redskins Park, he's losing his battle with Shanahan. Everyone else in the organization has vowed allegiance to Shanahan. And if Haynesworth has any supporters, they're wisely keeping it to themselves.

Ding~!

I think that sums it up about as well as I've seen.

Mosley's such an idiot. He's been on an anti-Haynesworth crusade for over a year. How does "I'm disappointed" translate into "fed up" for anyone other than an incompetent "journalist"?

Mosley's such an idiot. He's been on an anti-Haynesworth crusade for over a year. How does "I'm disappointed" translate into "fed up" for anyone other than an incompetent "journalist"?

I don't think it is a huge leap to assume Shanahan is angry with Fat Al. Take what he says in public and multiply it a few dozen times, and I suspect that is how shanahan feels privately.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

I don't think it is a huge leap to assume Shanahan is angry with Fat Al. Take what he says in public and multiply it a few dozen times, and I suspect that is how shanahan feels privately.
What does Shanahan have to do with anything? This article is about Snyder, and he's quoted directly and Mosley then promptly extrapolates from there. Just proves my point that he's a pathetic "journalist".

kirbster's right ... Mosley's keeping the yellow journalism tradition alive and well. And if he had a shred of professionalism he'd be embarrassed to have his name in this byline, particularly after his editor wrote the ridiculous "fed up" headline.

Someone sticks a mic in the owner's face and asks "are you disappointed Haynesworth's not here?" Owner answers "yes, I'm disappointed." Editor writes headline saying "owner fed up." Audience with very little interest in reporting but lots of interest in expressing their own frustrations eats it up.

Only real story here is that we continue to have this discussion year after year as if we've never had it before.

Just more drama from the media surrounding a "star" player... Err... I mean highly paid Redskin. Its that time between actual newsworthy events we're just gonna have to put up with the fabrication of drama until TC starts, I guess.

kirbster's right ... Mosley's keeping the yellow journalism tradition alive and well. And if he had a shred of professionalism he'd be embarrassed to have his name in this byline, particularly after his editor wrote the ridiculous "fed up" headline.

Someone sticks a mic in the owner's face and asks "are you disappointed Haynesworth's not here?" Owner answers "yes, I'm disappointed." Editor writes headline saying "owner fed up." Audience with very little interest in reporting but lots of interest in expressing their own frustrations eats it up.

Only real story here is that we continue to have this discussion year after year as if we've never had it before.

I agree, the story title is obviously an exaggeration, connecting dots that may or may not be there. On the other hand, that's what passes for journalism nowadays, in case you all hadn't noticed :)

Make him sit the first 4 games or so

Ding~!

I think that sums it up about as well as I've seen.

pffft.

1) This org...like all...will xxxx-can it's players at the drop of a dime if it makes "business" sense to them. the FO knows it. the coaches know it. the players know it. loyalty my rear quarter.

2) This preoccupation with other people's moneys that has dominated the Haynesworth conversation really is telling - more so about the people making the claims than anything else.

3) If Haynesworth shows up in shape and slides into the defense this little drama is over. Everyone knows it. If he doesn't, then, LIKE ANY PLAYER...he will be shown the door. (albeit at substantial cost).

4) Me? I'll be laughing at the Skins...as usual. Incompetent bafoons for inking such a deal and total amateurs in the leadership department. Yes sir...this defense is gonna go far with all the ready for social security/injured players they have signed! It's gonna dominate just because we're switching to a 3-4!!! NOT.

5) If this is all about machismo...it's idiotic and unnecessary. Typical dumb arse Redskins roster management calaculated to minimize return-to-investment. So...while they're figuring out their steriod problems...they can thump their chests and feel virtuous that instead of turing the situation around they played hardball to set the tone.

The Skins have a problem child. I'm watching to see if they can right this ship in a way that everyone benefits: the Skins get an elite player to perform to ability; the elite player understands the larger values in play and makes the most of his limited time in the NFL. What gripes me is that it is way too early in the process to be slamming doors. I think most fans miss this point while waxing philosophic about job loyalties and duties they very likely don't exercise in their own work lives.

Know what's funny, Al? Hypocrisy that doesn't recognize itself. :)

In paragraphs 1-3 you chastise others with a broad brush for naivete and making false assumptions. Then in paragraph 4 you thump your cyberchest making a far more definite assumption of your own.

Paragraph 5 I'm not sure what it is you're saying, but it's definitely in a chest-thumping "if only they were as smart as me" tone. And then of course in your summation you gripe about others slamming doors too early in a process. The AH process only, apparently ... not the defensive switch.

Love the combative nature ... sparks conversation. A little more logical consistency and less reliance on bluster would probably be more effective in terms of the actual content, however.

Know what's funny, Al? Hypocrisy that doesn't recognize itself. :)

In paragraphs 1-3 you chastise others with a broad brush for naivete and making false assumptions. Then in paragraph 4 you thump your cyberchest making a far more definite assumption of your own.

Paragraph 5 I'm not sure what it is you're saying, but it's definitely in a chest-thumping "if only they were as smart as me" tone. And then of course in your summation you gripe about others slamming doors too early in a process. The AH process only, apparently ... not the defensive switch.

Love the combative nature ... sparks conversation. A little more logical consistency and less reliance on bluster would probably be more effective in terms of the actual content, however.

ummmm...

1) paras one to three...have several objectives...not least of which is to poke a hole at what is really in play here: value systems. True...Para 4 is an assumption...or is it? we are talking about an unknown afterall...the future. COuld it be an expectation? Either way, it doesn't address values...it speaks to expected results/quality of play. two differents things.

2) We all have our styles....and perceptions of what constitutes "logical" argument, hypocrisy, etc., etc.

3) pls...let's not get back to tone! sounds a bit...errr...oppressive to me. but I digress. not "smart as me" (i.e., I know where I fit in the grand scheme of things and don't need to come to a Redskin board for confirmation)....but certainly (in the sense of what is in my mind)....trying to communicate that folks should take notice that this is more of the same Redskins dysfunctionality (Shanahan/Allen or no Shanahan/Allen). There are two parties to this and the eventual outcome will/should hang responsibility on both sides. The weighting when this is all done won't be equal, but in my book it's not a binary either. Para 5 is intended to suggest that if this is primarily a contest of wills - one which management in the end is guaranteed to win - this is the wrong prioritization.

summarizing several themes throughout all these posts:

- tracing the dynamic to money...."he ought to because he is being paid more"....is being lampooned for all the hidden value judgments....especially since there are much better reasons for demanding the behavioral expectations.

- there is no contractual obligation to appear at voluntary workouts....the Skins signed a contract

- the focus on near-term objectives has not really addressed the long-term objectives but just assumed that not showing up for voluntary weight lifting exercises in April will somehow undermine team unity and result in catastrophic play on the field in Sep

- two players voicing concerns publicly and one stating it's not important at this point has somehow been magnified/"fantastasized" into collective team angst and disruptive impact (also imagined or unsubstantiated) on the single, unified, undiluted, pure as the driven snow, one for all and all for one quest for the utopian team. That's horse manure. No one knows what's in the minds of 100+ players, it's too early for all of this to have a profoundly disruptive impact.

- AH is certainly culpable (and has created the problem), but in MY VALUE SYSTEM the best management finds ways to turn situations like this to advantage. This may play out with AH being consigned to the netherlands because his childish instincts or perceived justifications do prove disruptive once he has to participate. so be it. but the best leadership should work to avoid having events ever degenerate to this point. there is still plenty of time and options to turn this around. now...I am open to attack on one plane: perhaps management's primary goal is to establish that there are new sheriffs in town who brook NO deviation...even if this is at the expense of the level of play on the field. no one from the Skins, however, has asserted this.

- everyone is holding their cards at this point: AH and the Skins. In line with the previous point, let's wait and see how this plays out. no one has really said/done anything hugely antagonistic. the situation can be rescued to eveyone's benefit. a lot of this is simply manufactured media histrionics to fill air time.

- I'm frustrated with AH just like everyone else. I agree he ought to be in Ashburn now and yesterday. but he isn't. I prefer to resist the urge to hammer someone while there remains an opportunity to improve the situation. This whole drama has intensified only in the minds of apparently poorly compensated posters and incendiary columinists (like Mosley) working to promote themselves...........:)......let's see what happens once this all becomes mandatory.

Last edited by a moderator:

in short...you don't know!

I hope...for one...this isn't the case. Even though it's not appealing, I'd prefer to think Shanahan didn't allow emotions to enter the equation and just "did what he thought best" to accomplish his ends/plan. that way...the players would also understand that emotions didn't control these sorts of player decisions.

well.....this has gotten a bit out of bounds.

I'm onboard with everyone who doesn't like how AH has handled this. and eya...I also want Shanahan/Allen to succeed in the long-run and am happy they are onboard. to be clear...I just differ on the way forward in the near-term. let's leave it at that.

Not to change the subject, but this may stray off the path slightly. I read an interview where Albert says that his body shape does not fit the NT in the 3-4, that it is a role typically reserved for guys that are shorter, kind of like B.J. Raji 6'2 337.

Now Kemo is about 6'5 345 while Al is about 6'6 350. I have seen many articles stating that Kemo is the perfect fit for the NT because of his size.

So, does anyone have an intelligent answer as to why Kemo is perfect for this position while Al is not. It seems to make more sense to have the shorter NT for leverage reasons, but neither Kemo nor Al are short.

Also, Al has admitted to not knowing a lot about the 3-4. For that reason alone, I think it would behoove him to be in camp, even though it is voluntary.

Not to change the subject, but this may stray off the path slightly. I read an interview where Albert says that his body shape does not fit the NT in the 3-4, that it is a role typically reserved for guys that are shorter, kind of like B.J. Raji 6'2 337.

Now Kemo is about 6'5 345 while Al is about 6'6 350. I have seen many articles stating that Kemo is the perfect fit for the NT because of his size.

So, does anyone have an intelligent answer as to why Kemo is perfect for this position while Al is not. It seems to make more sense to have the shorter NT for leverage reasons, but neither Kemo nor Al are short.

Also, Al has admitted to not knowing a lot about the 3-4. For that reason alone, I think it would behoove him to be in camp, even though it is voluntary.

interesting. will have to think about it. NGATA is 6'4". is the injury potential greater the bigger the NT? (i.e., bigger target)

I have another twist: does it make sense to use someone of AH's talent-level at the NT position in the first place? Is holding position to defend two gaps and free the inside backers to roam in space more valuable than other, more disruptive tasks he can perform from...say...a DE position or in a 4-3? that is the formula for the Ravens....but is that how AH's skills/talents are best deployed?

I have another twist: does it make sense to use someone of AH's talent-level at the NT position in the first place? Is holding position to defend two gaps and free the inside backers to roam in space more valuable than other, more disruptive tasks he can perform from...say...a DE position or in a 4-3? that is the formula for the Ravens....but is that how AH's skills/talents are best deployed?
That's a fair question.

I thought the same thing about Portis at times. Gibbs brings in this shifty one-cut speedster and turns him into a Stephen Davis-esc battering ram. Was he successful? Absolutely. Still holds several Washington rushing records if memory serves me. But was this the best way to utilize his skill set?

Albert Haynesworth could be excellent NT, probably could be the best in the league if he wanted to. But is having the best space-eating, double-team-inducing, self-sacrificing nose tackle in the league as valuable as having the best disruptive 1-gap DT who does the damage himself? Normally, I would think not, but things kind of changed the second Orakpo got here, so now I'm not so sure.

That's a fair question.

I thought the same thing about Portis at times. Gibbs brings in this shifty one-cut speedster and turns him into a Stephen Davis-esc battering ram. Was he successful? Absolutely. Still holds several Washington rushing records if memory serves me. But was this the best way to utilize his skill set?

Albert Haynesworth could be excellent NT, probably could be the best in the league if he wanted to. But is having the best space-eating, double-team-inducing, self-sacrificing nose tackle in the league as valuable as having the best disruptive 1-gap DT who does the damage himself? Normally, I would think not, but things kind of changed the second Orakpo got here, so now I'm not so sure.

exactly. I don't know either. further...as you described the NT role...should that much money be paid for that?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.