• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Could Orakpo still win DROY?

Lanky Livingston

Since Brian Cushing's suspension for breaking the league's substance abuse policy back in September was announced, there has been speculation he might lose his DROY. Well, not quite, but there will be a re-vote:

Bob Glauber said:
Just got off the phone with AP Sports Editor Terry Taylor. There will be a re-vote of NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year.

Thus, the AP decides not to strip Brian Cushing of Rookie Defensive POY, but to simply vote again. Cushing still eligible.

http://twitter.com/BobGlauber

Since Cushing took 39 first place votes, the rest of the field was pretty close. Does Orakpo have a shot at it? I don't think so, but we shall see.

I don't think they'll take it away but if they do, the award either goes to Jairus Byrd or they'll have to vote again.

That's exactly what's happening, they're going to vote again. Cushing is still eligible, but I doubt he gets all the first place votes he got after a failed drug test.

Orakpo has a chance. He has been a little more noticeable than Byrd recently, so that might help him out.

I thought Clay Matthews was second in voting.

I thought Clay Matthews was second in voting.

Nope, Jairus Byrd was second, Matthews was third. That's irrelevant though, because 4 votes separated 2nd-4th place, meaning its anyone's game - assuming a lot of voters don't vote for Cushing again.

Its kind of a joke that he's even eligible, but I'm hearing a few guys have already voted for Cushing. I mean, if what he did was bad enough to merit a re-vote, how should he be eligible? To prove a point? Stupid.

I wonder how these other guys would feel if won the award after-the-fact? This morning have heard a lot of debate on both sides of this issue. Would it be like winning a championship or medal after winner of the event was DQ'd?

In my heart and mind, Orakpo was the DROY.

I wonder how these other guys would feel if won the award after-the-fact? This morning have heard a lot of debate on both sides of this issue. Would it be like winning a championship or medal after winner of the event was DQ'd?

In my heart and mind, Orakpo was the DROY.

I dunno...apparently there were a lot of rumors before the draft that Cushing was a juicer, so a lot of people were expecting this. I think if someone wins DROY but is blatantly cheating, the honest players in the league wouldn't have a problem winning the award after the fact. If you got a promotion at your job because they found out the guy they gave it to previously was blackmailing HQ, would you mind? I know I wouldn't!

Just one example of before and after pics:

http://yepyep.gibbs12.com/2010/05/brian-cushing-on-steroids-duh/

Not that one year of training with a NCAA-level weight-training staff couldn't whip the kid into shape, but that's a pretty drastic transformation. Although I have personally seen what diet and exercise can do. But, these pictures coupled with a dirty test...Mr. Cushing is losing the benefit of the doubt quickly.

ESPN: Gutless Voters Keep DROY Award with Cushing

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5183620

Okay, so that's not the real title, but that's how I feel about it. Byrd probably would have won it, but its still annoying.

Also, Byrd finished with 5 fewer votes than Cushing in the revote - 3 voters weren't available, and 2 abstained. Shady.

That's dumb. Either re-vote without him on the ballot or leave it as is.

Re-voting FOR him, now that we know he's a juicer, is the worst choice of all. It blatantly and pro-actively condones cheating.

Re-voting FOR him, now that we know he's a juicer, is the worst choice of all. It blatantly and pro-actively condones cheating.

Exactly right. I don't know who should have gotten the award, but allowing it to be given to Cushing again is preposterous.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

EXACTLY. If his offense was bad enough to merit a re-vote in the first place, what the hell is he doing on the ballot? Its baffling.

What else do you expect from the media? They won't admit they were wrong.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.