• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Per John Keim twitter: Donnie Warren is Out

I'm afraid to ask...out of what exactly?

I'm afraid to ask...out of what exactly?

a job...Redskins fired him.

Skins have also fired their top National scout, Russ Bolinger, via Rick Maese on twitter. Maese also says:

Teams typically wait until after draft to make changes to scouting departments. More changes to scouting and front office on horizon

http://twitter.com/RickMaese/statuses/13433284705

This leads me to believe that either Swanson was forced out, or he was given a head's up that he WOULD be fired from Snyder or Allen, and decided to leave on his own terms.

Donnie was hired on as a scout under Gibbs in 2005. Not sure if his role expanded or not after that.

As to how that leads one to conclude Karl Swanson was going to be fired ... I am all ears. :)

I don't doubt at all that Swanson was pushed out. This team needed nearly as much improvement in the PR area as it did in the leadership of the football operation.

Nearly.

Donnie was hired on as a scout under Gibbs in 2005. Not sure if his role expanded or not after that.

As to how that leads one to conclude Karl Swanson was going to be fired ... I am all ears. :)

Maese's statement about more changes to "scouting AND the front office" were coming soon. Its just a general paradigm shift going on at Redskins park, and it started with the hiring of Allen. Out with the old, in with the new.

Again, its all very possible that Swanson truly left on his own terms, but all signs point to him being forced out.

The Redskins did a much better job PR wise with the marine returning home to his wife segment this week :)
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

To the extent we can draw any kind of realistic conclusions based on what we actually know---which ain't much---I agree with authentic. I remember when the word first came down that Gibbs was retiring, and fans went crazy assuming Snyder was somehow behind it. Then we found out Snyder all but begged Joe to stay.

Snyder and Swanson go way back, and there may well have been conversations over the past weeks/months about the possibility of it being in the team's best interests if Swanson retired, but I won't take it farther than that. My guess is Karl was done anyway, and with the sea changes in the organization going on top to bottom, he and Dan agreed it was the right time.

But it's all speculation based on the tiny fraction of the big picture we get to see.

Why would they fire scouts after the draft? If that was the plan all along, why not fire them before the draft and get as much as you can from the scouts whose opinions actually matter?

Shanahan wanted to see how the front office team worked together and whether the philosophies and outlook of the incumbent staff were in any way compatible with his own and that of Bruce Allen.

This is a common enough occurrence in the NFL.

The scouts have been looking at college players since last August. Shanahan didn't hire all of his staff until what February?

It was too short a time frame to then go out and hire an entire scouting staff and have them up and ready for the April draft.

Besides, my guess is that Warren and the others were competent enough in their areas of responsibility to give credible guidance on players both pro and college for the new regime to consider.

Why would they fire scouts after the draft? If that was the plan all along, why not fire them before the draft and get as much as you can from the scouts whose opinions actually matter?
That would be asinine. Scouts spend 9-12 months preparing for the draft. New hires would not be able to get up to speed in time. After the draft is the only time that makes sense to give them time to prepare for next year's draft.

somebody agrees with me, thanks for validating me as a human being :)

I also read its Donnie's 54th birthday today, d'oh! I guess there's never a good time to be let go, but on your birthday? Ouch!

didn't the Caps fire Glen Hanlon on Thanksgiving Day? :)

Sports is a business.

business is business.

regardless of what is true or not about Karl. The important thing is what he represented outside of the organization.

Since he only represented what was WRONG about this franchise, I am not shocked that he either left on his own, or was nudged out. PR was not the strong suit for the Skins in recent years.

That would be asinine. Scouts spend 9-12 months preparing for the draft. New hires would not be able to get up to speed in time. After the draft is the only time that makes sense to give them time to prepare for next year's draft.

In addition, I believe that most scouts contracts end soon after the draft for this very reason.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.