• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Starting Over

Goaldeje

The Legend
Reaction score
Alma Mater
James Madison
Well. I am about to start over. I am days away from quitting my enjoyable, fun, well paying job to go back to school. I will be getting my Masters in Professional Counseling, then perhaps going on to the doctorate level. My wife has a good job, so we have some steady income right now,but losing my income is going to be difficult, but this is something I think I need to do. Scared to death about it, but also excited. We will see how it goes, thoughts and prayers appreciated.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Good luck! Do you really need the Masters degree? Enjoyable, fun jobs are hard to come by.

Sometimes you have to take a leap of faith. Like Sarge, will the Masters help you get a better and more fun job?

Done on the thoughts and prayers.

Sometimes you have to take a leap of faith. Like Sarge, will the Masters help you get a better and more fun job?

Done on the thoughts and prayers.

Thank you. The job I have now is in a field I have never seen as being forever for me. I would like to get into counseling, and feel the time is right.

Scary, but right.

That's very cool GD. If you've got it in your mind to do something, and you have the means, you should do it. Life is short.

Good luck and Godspeed.

Goaldeje, I am in the same field you are and feel the same way. I know this is not my calling, but I enjoy photography a great deal. I recently went to work in the field of counseling because I thought that was my calling. For 3 months I found myself battling the bureaucracy instead of working with the kids. My time with the kids was awesome! But the red tape and liberal sensitivities wore on me. These kids are lost in the bureaucracy and I could not do it any longer.

I am off to Law School. Good luck my friend!

Last edited:
Only one person knows the right course for you, brother, and you know who that one person is.

Listen to him.

May the wind be at your back.

Goaldeje, I started out with a degree in History and wound up being a Quality Technician-which I thoroughly enjoyed, by the way. You can't predict these these things-all you can do is be willing to change direction if what you're doing doesn't seem right for you. Go for it and best of luck. :2thumbsup:

"That's how you become great, man. Hang your balls out there!"

Good luck dude. I got my Masters straight out of m B.S., and can't imagine going back at this point. Its definitely a leap of faith! Good luck!

Thank you all for thte kind words, I am going full steam ahead, and am excited about the future.

Also a little scared, but I have a supportive wife who (for some reason) is willing to put up with my craziness. Makes it a lot easier.

Good Luck!

I have a Masters in Counseling/Psychology and a Masters in Mid Management. I loved being a counselor.

I have just applied to graduate school to attain my doctorate n counseling.IF I am accepted, I wont be able to begin until Jan, as the deadline has passed for the August semester.

Good luck to you!!!

I know I will love it too, Blondie. I think I was happy with my job, just not as fulfilled as I could have been.

Well, I did it. Just sent in my letter of resignation. Now I did tell them I would be open to a slower transition period, or it can be two weeks. We will see what they come back with...

Thank you for all the kind words everyone, I appreciate the support!

Hey Goaldeje--just wanted to wish you the best of luck--I'm sure your new life as a counsel will work out for you if that's what you really want (and it sounds like it is).

Now Elephant, why would you ever make the blunder of going to law school? :)

Now Elephant, why would you ever make the blunder of going to law school? :)

:insane: I know, especially at my age. When I graduate from Law School, I will be 45. I got my BA a year and a half ago and was interested in teaching. I started looking into what the state of Maryland requires and I refused to go through that wringer. Then I went to work as a counselor for a non-profit juvenile agency that houses troubled youth. I became disenchanted with this thinking my calling was much like Goaldeje's. I have decided a Law degree is what will place me in the best position as I move forward.

I admire your push forward in this field GD. I now know I don't have the patience.

Most of the things that I have regretted in my life are the things that I didn’t try rather than the things I tried and failed at. So what is the worst thing that can happen?

I mean besides the obvious fact that you could wash out of Grad school and then be unable to find another job. Your wife would eventually get tired of supporting you and would run away with some guy named Antonio who has a bank account and a villa on the Cayman Islands and you end up a homeless drunk, wandering the streets of Chester, Virginia babbling incoherently about the guys at BGO who encouraged you to mess up your life.

Other than those little potential problems, what really is the downside here?

Last edited:
Most of the things that I have regretted in my life are the things that I didn’t try rather than the things I tried and failed at. So what is the worst thing that can happen?

I mean besides the obvious fact that you could wash out of Grad school and then be unable to find another job. Your wife would eventually get tired of supporting you and would run away with some guy named Antonio who has a bank account and a villa on the Cayman Islands and you end up a homeless drunk, wandering the streets of Chester, Virginia babbling incoherently about the guys at BGO who encouraged you to mess up your life.

Other than those little potential problems, what really is the downside here?

As long as you will one of my professors, showing me your superior counseling techniques, I am certain I will be just fine. :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.