• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

RTD: Gibbs family teamwork helps younger rally through treament

kirbster

Gibbs family teamwork helps younger rally through treament

Some mornings at the home of J.D. and Melissa Gibbs, the phone will ring and when Melissa answers, she will hear the familiar voice of her father-in-law, Joe Gibbs.

And Joe Gibbs, owner of Joe Gibbs Racing and the man who led the Washington Redskins to three Super Bowl victories, will ask, "What's Taylor doing?"

If the answer is, "Nothing today," Gibbs will say, "I'll come by and pick him up."
And Gibbs will take his 5-year-old grandson to the JGR racing shop in Charlotte, N.C.

Gibbs is crazy about his eight grandchildren or, as he calls them, the grandbabies.

Taylor Gibbs, though, is special.

"He's special to all of us," Joe Gibbs says.

In January 2007, when he was 2 years old, Taylor Gibbs was diagnosed with acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL).

Few sports figures are as admired and respected as Gibbs. There practically was a collective gasp when the Taylor's situation became public.

Read the rest

I had almost forgotten about Gibbs grandson. Thanks for the find, kirbster.

One of the untold stories in Redskins lore. The Gibbs II Era changed markedly and immediately when he learned about the leukemia. Have been convinced of it for a long time. I've worked on a broadscope opinion piece trying to respectfully tie it all together, but am holding on to it for now. Still have some research to do, still want to try to talk to a few people, but mostly just haven't felt the time was right. Counting on knowing what that time is when I see it.

I've felt the same way Om. He was rarin' to go until he got that news. Couple it with the Taylor news and I think it was pretty easy for him to walk away a second time. It was also the right thing to do, his family needed him close and the NFL wouldn't allow that...not with his work ethic.

I've felt the same way Om. He was rarin' to go until he got that news. Couple it with the Taylor news and I think it was pretty easy for him to walk away a second time. It was also the right thing to do, his family needed him close and the NFL wouldn't allow that...not with his work ethic.
I agree 100%. I never understood those who slammed Gibbs for retiring when he did.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.