• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Kelly defends Williams work ethic

Alaskan

The 1st Round Pick
Reaction score
"Offended by what he considers to be unfair criticism of tackle Trent Williams's work ethic, wide receiver Malcolm Kelly defended his longtime friend and teammate in high school, college and, soon, the pros."

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/nfl-draft/malcolm-kelly-defends-trent-wi.html?wprss=redskinsinsider

:) Maybe Kelly isn't the right guy to be doing this:

"Washington Redskins Coach Jim Zorn chided Malcolm Kelly and Devin Thomas yesterday for their lack of conditioning..."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/08/05/AR2008080503035.html

I'm not sure how I feel about seeing articles addressing the work ethic of our #4 overall pick (and future LT).

If his work ethic needs defending this early on, this makes him appear as more of a risk than a typical high draft pick.

I hope I'm wrong.

I'm not sure how I feel about seeing articles addressing the work ethic of our #4 overall pick (and future LT).

If his work ethic needs defending this early on, this makes him appear as more of a risk than a typical high draft pick.

I hope I'm wrong.

Yeah, I've been a little worried about that too. I have a good friend who is obsessed with OU Football (in a good way, of course :)), and I keep meaningto ask him about Trent's work ethic.

Will report back here when I can...

I know you were all riveted by what I have to say... :)

Spoke with my friend, he says a lot of OU fans saw the comments made the strength and conditioning coach and were upset by them. His contention is that TW has gotten a bad rap, and is perfect for the zone blocking system. Very athletic, smart player. In his opinion, TW is the best o-line player out of OU in the past 10 years, fwiw. Feels motivation won't be a problem, and we have ourselves a dominant T for 10+ years. Said McCoy was a beast in practice, and TW held his own and best McCoy out more often than not.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

In his opinion, TW is the best o-line player out of OU in the past 10 years, fwiw.

I was curious, so I looked this up. This list includes:
Phil Loadholt - 2009, rd 2 (started 15 games for the Vikes last year)
Duke Robinson - 2009, rd 5 (injured? didn't start or play any games last year)
Davin Joseph - 2006, rd 1 (has started 56, played in 57 games since 2006, missed 4 in 2008)
Chris Chester - 2006, rd 2 (played in 59, started 33 games for the Ravens since 2006)
Jammal Brown - 2005, rd 1 (started 58 games for the Saints since 2005 - DNP last season)
Wes Simms - 2005, rd 6 (not in the NFL.com database, probably never made the team)
Stockar McDougle - 2000*, rd 1 (played in 81, started in 56 games from 2000-2006 for 3 different teams)

*okay, that was 11 years, but I love his name

Couple big names there, Davin Joseph, Jammal Brown, Phil Loadholt (recently stepped into the starting spot in Minny). But no mind-blowing talent, IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
I trust Shanahan with a guy like this. Look what he did with Ryan Clady.

Last edited:
Sounds to me like there might have been some personal bias popping in there. Since when do College coaches rip players after they've been drafted #4 overall? Not only is it bad form and classless, it's also bad business for recruiting I'd think. If you have to worry about being thrown under the bus (and before you even play a down having your work ethic and by extension character questioned) in the National Media after you move on then maybe that might not be the best place for you. Mountain out of a molehill on my part? Maybe, but maybe not.

I can tell ya if I was HC at OU that Strength coach would be fanning his ears by now...maybe even picking up a pink slip.

no offense to Kelly, but his own work ethic coming into the NFL was not exactly at the Ray Lewis or Peyton Manning level either :laugh: :laugh:

I don't know if Kelly is the best player to comment on Williams.

Spoke with my friend, he says a lot of OU fans saw the comments made the strength and conditioning coach and were upset by them. His contention is that TW has gotten a bad rap, and is perfect for the zone blocking system. Very athletic, smart player. In his opinion, TW is the best o-line player out of OU in the past 10 years, fwiw. Feels motivation won't be a problem, and we have ourselves a dominant T for 10+ years. Said McCoy was a beast in practice, and TW held his own and best McCoy out more often than not.
That last bit is the most encouraging - but how does your friend know how TW performs in practice? Was he on the team or did OU just have open practices?

no offense to Kelly, but his own work ethic coming into the NFL was not exactly at the Ray Lewis or Peyton Manning level either :laugh: :laugh:

I don't know if Kelly is the best player to comment on Williams.

That was kind of the point of the thread, BD. :)

Has Kelly succeeded in having a TWO catch game in the NFL yet? :)

That last bit is the most encouraging - but how does your friend know how TW performs in practice? Was he on the team or did OU just have open practices?

Open practices, I think. That, and you know how obsessed we are about the Skins? This guy matches it about the Sooners.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Nobody is going to be able to defend Williams work ethics now.

He's drafted....he's here. Now he needs to work.

If he doesn't. I'm sure we'll all hear about it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.