• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

WPC: Sanity settles on Ashburn

Pappas

http://web.warpathconfidential.com/?p=3413

Sanity settles on Ashburn

By John Pappas
Warpath Confidential Editor

They say the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. But for the last 10 years the Washington Redskins have done just that, too often focusing on big-name free agents and shiny skill players in the draft, while forsaking the unsophisticated trench-men and role-players critical to winning. Using a laissez faire approach that would impress the most ardent capitalist, Washington wheeled-and-dealed draft picks and handed out contracts staggering in size (see Albert Haynesworth) in order to land the biggest names on the market.

The results speak for themselves. Three winning seasons and a regular season record of 80-96, and 2-3 in the playoffs since Dan Snyder bought the team in 1999. The unorthodox approach that Snyder, former front office head Vinny Cerrato, and head coach legend Joe Gibbs once proclaimed just as effective in building a team brought no measure of success to Washington.

But those days appear to be over.

For the first time since Snyder purchased the team, the Redskins are being operated like a sensible franchise. There is a traditional structure, with general manager Bruce Allen and head coach Mike Shanahan making the decisions. And the only time the owner shows up these days is for press conferences and to sign checks.

Click the link above to read the entire article...

Nice read.

I've been wondering for a while now if the new way of doing things (not signing the expensive free agents) is a reflection of a change in the way we do things, or rather the fact that this year's FA class was a little thin due to the labor issues.

Not complaing, I like the way things are happening right now. Just wondering if next year or the year after when the FAs get back to normal, will we "get back to normal"?

The actions are certainly speaking loudly aren’t they?

Shanahan may have said the Campbell best football is ahead of him but his trading for McNabb, his trading of JC and the lack of interest in his’s services really indicate what he and the rest of the league really think of him. He will probably will be one of those guys that kicks around the league for a few years, mostly as a backup and then goes on with his life.

Kyle Shanahan was excited about the offensive line at the OTA’s and then they spent half of the draft on offensive linemen. I guess he wasn’t THAT excited.

The fact that we haven’t tried to market Davis or Cooley and that we are stockpiling Tight Ends/Full Backs like mad would seem that we are going to use a lot of 2 tight end sets and Davis and Cooley will be on the field at the same time a lot.

It seems that they like the potential of our young wide receivers. Ditto Colt Brenan.

It seems that they like our defense and think that we have the personnel to run the 3-4 that they are planning right away.

I suspect that they think Portis still has something in his tank if he gets in shape and they can motivate him. But they sure are hedging their bets with adequate and inexpensive vets. I suspect we will see one of next year's draft choices going for some young legs.

ALL in all, to me the draft choices and all the off season moves seem to make sense. There seems to be an overall theme of not trying to fix everything overnight, shore up some positions with inexpensive vets and find some young talent to develop.

I don't think we are a playoff team but I think we are headed in the right direction.

Last edited:
Indeed

And it was nice not to watch half of our future picks go out the door to move up foro someone like Bradford

I suspect 1/2 our picks WOULD have gone out the door for Bradford - we just didn't have enough of them to pull it off :)

And Pappas - damn you - you stole my blog title!

I suspect 1/2 our picks WOULD have gone out the door for Bradford - we just didn't have enough of them to pull it off :)

They still love to hate me.

True. And in that case, I would much rather trade a 2nd for McNabb and get Williams, Cook and Capers than have Bradford and little to no offensive line to protect him.

Campbell just wasn't a WCO type QB. He will fit the Raiders 'down the field' mentality.

What impresses me, even though scratched my head on couple picks, is we appeared to work the plan in place.

If labor issues are resolved, I see this the Skins being a major player in the draft and on the field in couple years.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.