• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Dennis Morris .... a fifth TE?

Aston Gambino

Did that just happen? Can't wait to hear the explanation for this one. I would bet we would have trade away a TE on the roster, not add another?

The only thing I can imagine is that they believe he's big enough to play tackle if he can add on more weight. Still. Couple decent RBs out there. Tony Pike, Levevour?

Don't get it.

I've heard he will play FB not TE. Who are the other four TEs? Yoder is no longer on the roster.

Gotta be as a FB, right? That's the only thing I can think, can't possibly be thinking of using him as a TE, outside of a trade.

I've heard he will play FB not TE. Who are the other four TEs? Yoder is no longer on the roster.

Cooley
Davis
Ryan
Vickers.

This guy is just a hair over 6'0", so he must be lining up at fullback. He is a better inline blocker than receiver. Maybe H back or FB, but not TE.

Makes sense, Sellers is technically the only FB listed on the roster. Guess the actual FBs that were available weren't that good?

Just don't understand this pick at all. OL, FS or RB I understand. This I don't. Can anyone enlighten me on this?

I think Dennis Morris is this years Peyton Hillis. Hillis was a FB that Shanahan drafted in the 7th round in 2008. He had a great rookie season under Shanahan before getting injured. I see him as a passing catching Fullback.

Saw the highlight reel in the other thread. I would rather have taken a running back or another offensive lineman, but we do need someone to take Sellers' place eventually.

Last edited:
Can't you understand getting a replacement for Sellers? He sucked last year.

It is a matter of the relative amount of "suckage" involved, kirbster. Did he suck as bad as either offensive tackle position? Did he suck as bad as not having a FS on the field? How about the revolving door at RG after Thomas went down?

Those are the questions I am asking myself right now and I'm just not sure he did.

Sellers reeked last year and contributed greatly to our bad running game. As soon as he got his new contract, he dialed it in. The film and info on this new guy looks really good.

Can't you understand getting a replacement for Sellers? He sucked last year.

No more than any number of other players that sucked. Just think there are more pressing needs. But if your explanation is he sucked, then I guess that's all I need to know. LOL

I'm guessing another addition to the Special Teams unit as well.........

still a weird pick. He wasn't listed on most of the draft sites I read and wasn't in my draft books

Aside from FB/HB I wonder if they're thinking of using him as a blocking TE. After all, we still don't have an NFL RT and adding a blocking TE to help out just might keep McNabb upright long enough to complete some passes. Besides, as others have noted Sellers is pretty old so we needed youth/depth there as well. Rebuilding our OL is a process that won't be completed overnight. If we get a starting LT and an OG that can actually make the team (or PS) I'll consider this draft mostly successful given the lack of picks. Also don't forget that we got a starting QB for the next few years for our 2nd.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

If you consider TE, FB and H-Back as needing similar size and skill sets (I realize this isn’t 100% true) we can look at those positions combined. So last year we had Yoder, Davis, Cooley, and Sellers. So we have Ryan replacing Yoder is a blocking TE, Cooley and Davis as pass catching TE’s. So it would seem that Morris, Vickers and Sellers fight it out for that 4th spot.

I have not been impressed with Sellers as a pass catcher and despite his impressive physique; he seems to play soft a lot of times. So it may be that the coaches want a couple of young guys who can challenge Sellers. (They probably didn’t cut Sellers outright because they want to see how he can do as a pass catcher with a QB who can make a touch pass.)

Also since it seems that we are keeping both Cooley and Davis, we have to assume that two tight end formation are going to be a staple of this offense, so they might keep 5 FB/HB/TE’s and go with only 4 wide receivers.

As always, a lot of it might depend on special teams. If Austin can make a case for himself as a punt/Kick returner, he might end up being a 5th receiver and end up pushing out that 5th TE/FB/HB. Of course he could also end up pushing out Mitchell who I believe has limited experience on teams.

Could make for some interesting camp battles.

I love the do-anything guy in the WCO backfield who can run, block, and catch the ball, who is strong enough to get up on the line and take on a DL or LB out of a three point stance, who can motion and lead block on the run without flailing, reaching, or whiffing, who can take the occasional hand-off and bang it up the gut or perhaps even make one move and get into the second tier of the defense, or who can go out on a route, run it across the middle, or just get lost in the trash and become a safety valve.

But the emphasis is on blocking, anywhere, anytime. Sellers has been disappointing for the past coupla seasons in that regard.

You keep looking for those utility bangers who can block plus do a little more, because they can be the most useful guys on your offense.

Sellers is 35 years old and makes nice coin as a fullback. I think Shanahan is looking to get better physically and save some money as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.