• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

WORLD CUP 2010

Choked on the Penalty Kick maybe, Boone. But Ghana was the team trying to win the damn thing while Uruguay was playing for Penalty Kicks with time still on the clock. They just kept attacking. To win by taking a Red Card for a hand ball to stop a real goal in real time . . . Pretty lame if you ask me and a real spit in the face of the spirit of the game.

Not sure I could be happy about it if were in Uruguay's shoes.

To be fair, the rules are the rules. Hard to call it a 'spit in the face of the spirit of the game' when they called exactly what established FIFA rules say they have to call Bob. Looking at it any other way is kind of like crying foul because an NFL team got outplayed for most of a game only to lose it on a 62 yard FG with time expiring. It might suck, but its part of the game.

I agree that Ghana went for it in the bonus period...but I think Uruguay figured (and it turned out they were dead-on correct) that they had the edge in experience, maturity, and calm if it went to penalty kicks. So what might have looked like a greater desire by Ghana may in fact have been as much the result of Uruguay to take a calculated risk that their better chance was to play for penalty kicks. On the game overall, I thought it was extremely close match - at one point, they'd each had exactly 50 possessions. So I don't buy that Ghana deserved it more (not that you're arguing that).

I know the rules were enforced correctly but that doesn't mean I think what happened was right. Ghana had the shot the first time and Suarez had to break the rules to stop it. Just seems wrong to me. Gaming the system and I don't approve.

That was all I meant. Perhaps I got a bit worked up over it.

I will say this though . . . God help the teams who have to play Ghana in 2014 in Brazil.

Last edited:
Germany's up 2-0-it's not looking good for Argentina right at the moment with less than 20 minutes of regulation left. Great precision and unselfish play by the Germans-very team-oriented. Good D and countering ability.

Is it just me or does Klose for the Germans bear a striking resemblance to Ed O'Neill, the actor who played Al Bundy on Married with Children?

Edit: Update 3-0 Germany. This isn't a futbol(soccer) team-it's a machine.!

All the talk about the South American teams and the 2 Latin powerhouses, Brazil and Argentina, were completely outplayed. The winner of this World Cup is likely to come from Europe this year guys. Although Uruguay has won 2 World Cups, I don't see them making it past the semis.

Go Germans! Although I wouldn't mind seeing the Dutch win, or Spain for that matter. To be honest, I don't care who wins at this point, just as long as France and Italy are gone, I don't care. LOL!

All the talk about the South American teams and the 2 Latin powerhouses, Brazil and Argentina, were completely outplayed.

It has been like this for over 10 years now. Everyone gets excited by the glamorous teams of Brazil and Argentina, and they fall apart.

The less flashy, more solid teams like Germany, Spain and Italy always seem to be there at the end.

And I agree with you about Italy. As long as they are out, this is a great WC. Personally, I would love to see Spain or the Netherlands get over the hump. Although Germany is very deserving too.

Last edited:
It has been like this for over 10 years now. Everyone gets excited by the glamorous teams of Brazil and Argentina, and they fall apart.

The less flashy, more solid teams like Germany, Spain and Italy always seem to be there at the end.

You are absolutely right about that, but both Argentina and Brazil stood a legitimate chance to win it all this year. The problem I see is Maradoña is not a world class coach. I see him as somewhat capable coach but more just a figure head. If the talent Argentina possess was coached up like the German or Spanish, they would likely have walked to the championship.

You are right on the coaching. Germany is just solid, they always are. And Spain is so close to finally delivering.

One thing that is interesting about the WC, is how the teams really take on the personalities(at least perceived personalities) of the countries they represent.

When you think of Italy, what comes to mind? Flashy Ferraris. Fashion. Style.

Germany? Anal. Methodical. Hard-asses. Great engineering, but less flashy.

Brazil? Flash. Passion. Samba and Rumba.

USA? Freedom. Fighters. No quit. On the field, no diving.

Paraguay's bein' plucky lil' suckers playin a tight swarming defense that's giving Spain fits but I think Spain's precision will probably carry them into the semis.

Spain vs. Germany? One hell of a good match I would think-but Germany has looked simply scary after dismantling England and Argentina the way they did.

This Spain Paraguay game is unbelievable.

The keepers on both sides are stopping penalty kicks. One right after the other.

I know the rules were enforced correctly but that doesn't mean I think what happened was right. Ghana had the shot the first time and Suarez had to break the rules to stop it. Just seems wrong to me. Gaming the system and I don't approve.

That was all I meant. Perhaps I got a bit worked up over it.

I will say this though . . . God help the teams who have to play Ghana in 2014 in Brazil.

Naah - it's a legitimate question...and the fact that FIFA may well rule he's out for the remainder of the cup prove that. Here's the thing though - he threw his arms up to block a World Cup-ending score. I'm not even sure that can be called a voluntary action. Any of us likely would've done the same. I can't see that as any form of 'gaming'. He just reacted, likely the same way almost anyone would. And the truth is, in the vast majority of cases, that penalty kick costs them their future. Had Ghana not blown the penalty kick (and they blew it, big time - not because they missed it, but because the shot had NO chance, regardless of what the goalkeeper did, of going in) we wouldn't even be talking about Suarez.

Anyway - you know I respect your take even though I don't agree with it. Besides, I just want these guys to see the staff argue once in awhile too :)

Agreed Boone. I have considered that I might have done the same thing and I am totally on board with the idea that it was involuntary. A reflex action. Seen comments by numerous ex-soccer players who all feel it was a good play and a good call and on Ghana for not converting. In fact, none of them had a bad word to say about it except that maybe Suarez should not have crowed about it so much after the fact.

Apparently, I am in the minority on this big time too. Can't help but wonder if it isn't something in my narrow American mindset too. Or maybe it's that I am a recent convert to soccer fandom and have not followed the game for years or decades.

And FIFA has ruled that Suarez' one game suspension will stand and not be elongated so I guess they are good with how it played out too. My cynical self can't help but wonder if that is partly because we are talking about Ghana here and not Brazil or Italy though...

Last edited:
I think your point was well-taken Bob - honestly, I'm not sure the end result was ultimately 'fair' either, only that the rules were properly applied. The impact of the play was magnified greatly though, only because Ghana failed totally to capitalize on it. So maybe they own a little bit of the outcome too.

Two signs of the times fellas....

First, the local ABC affiliate is showing the FC Dallas soccer match live in primetime tonight. The club is tied for 4th in the Western division of the MLS. First time I remember this happening ever.

Second, I am watching it.

The NFL will always be my first love but I might finally have a second sport to watch after years of blowing off the NHL and MLB completely, the NBA unless the Lakers were playing and then only in the playoffs, and any number of other things you would likely come up with.

Sweet CSN piece on the remaining four ...

http://www.csnwashington.com/07/04/...nkings/landing.html?blockID=265717&feedID=287

By Sebastian Salazar
CSNwashington.com

In the World Cup, a red card, suspension or coaching decision can change the complexion of the entire tournament. Our Run of Play Power Rankings are designed to shift early and often, based on the latest on-the-field performances and off-the-field news. Here, we rank the eight teams left in the field.

1. Germany

If Germany score first against anybody, the game is over. As they showed against England and Argentina, the Germans are excellent at defending when the opposition is throwing large numbers forward. Once they win the ball, Philipp Lahm and Jerome Boateng have proven to be more than adequate distributors.

With 13 goals through five games, Joachim Lowe's team has scored more than any team in the tournament. Tomas Muller, Lukas Podolski and Miroslav Klose are not the most skilled frontline in South Africa, but they are the World Cup's best finishers. When these guys get chances, they simply aren't missing. Muller's absence in the semifinal should not be overlooked.

Simply put, the German midfield has been a joy to watch. Mesut Ozil has been one of the great revelations of the tournament and you can bet he won't be at Werder Bremen for long. Bastian Schweinsteiger has made an amazing transformation from an attack-minded wing player to a dominant central midfielder who plays from box-to-box. The only weakness in this team may be a slight lack of speed in the center of defense.

2. Holland

The Dutch have done just enough to win, but when 'just enough' gets you past Brazil, that says a lot.
Though Arjen Robben, Robin Van Persie and Wesley Sneijder have all scored in the tournament, the creativity one might expect to see from such a trio has been largely absent. Individually they look great, but the chemistry necessary for combination play hasn't developed. Dirk Kuyt's tireless complementary work is noteworthy, but might Rafael Van Der Vaart be the key to unlocking the Dutch attack? Nigel De Jong's absence due to suspension will hurt Holland much more in defense than in attack.

At the back, Holland can be beaten. Brazil's goal in the quarterfinal was a massive lapse right down the middle of the Dutch defense. Andre Ooijer may be decent in the air, but he has had some worrisome moments at the back and doesn't inspire much confidence...

The Dutch are trying to run away with their match with Uruguay...

The Germany-Spain matchup could be a fun one to watch-Spain's going to have to be spot on their game though. It's going to be a very interesting final and third-place contest.

....could be a fun one to watch....
brotha...I love your posts. but..."fun to watch"? what's with that?

soccer is like watching an overtime game in which all scoring is field goals and the final score is 6-3!!!!

I love watching the tactical maneuvering, the cut-and-thrust of the teams trying to jockey into position for a possible score and the other team's efforts to stop them from succeeding. I savor the desperate fighting to get the ball past mid-field against thieves who try to take it away at every opportunity. It's nonstop action, uninterrupted by time-outs, commercials and other unnecessary distractions-a continuous ebb and flow of tension and relief, anticipation followed by excitement when a team presses the opponent into a last-ditch defensive swarm to stop a score and either the release of tension when the stop happens or the rush of adrenalin that transmits throughout the stadium and through the screen into the pit of my stomach when the ball winds up in the net. When scores happen, as often as not, they're sudden, unanticipated, a quick-thrust dagger into the heart of the opponent, taking only a few seconds and leaving the other team momentarily stunned like a prize fighter surprised by a quick left hook.

It's a rush, man.

brotha...I love your posts. but..."fun to watch"? what's with that?

soccer is like watching an overtime game in which all scoring is field goals and the final score is 6-3!!!!

I see you are one of the millions of Americans who thirst for the need for climax incapable of seeing the symphony of action required to reach that conclusion.

Anyway, it looks like the Dutch stand a good chance to finally win the Cup, playing with grit and determination, but I think the 2010 Champion will come out of the Germany/Spain game.

Congratulations to the 2010 World Cup Champions, Germany!

Soccer is not only fun to watch, it's thrilling to watch. You either 'get it' or you don't.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.