• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Dear Sarge

@Alaskan, winning is secondary in my desire to go to home games, because I go for so many other reasons. That doesn't mean it doesn't matter, of course it matters! ;) Hell I got pulled over for speeding by a cop once on the way back from a slaughter by the Giants and after a 20 minute lecture about how much of an Ass Snyder is (hey Sarge was that you? ;) ) the guy said he felt sorry for me and let me go. I wanted to chew his ass out and take the ticket but my wallet got the best of me.

That's only apparent to folks who know Sarge, ie you ES guys. To the rest of us that's not obvious at all. How would I know his pet theme if I am not a former ES regular which I haven't been for about 8-10 years?

I'll give ya some help

I can't say I'm the #1 dan snyder hater. That's reserved for some of his former employees that he's treated like dog **** over the years.

But I'm right there with 'em

http://bgobsession.com/showthread.php?t=6829

Enjoy

That's only apparent to folks who know Sarge, ie you ES guys. To the rest of us that's not obvious at all. How would I know his pet theme if I am not a former ES regular which I haven't been for about 8-10 years?

point taken. but you knew after reading the OP so why persist?

You have to look at these things in proper perspective. I just recieved a PM from someone who...shall we say...disagreed with the content of a post of mine. The language employed was infantile and violent at the same time. to be frank.....it made me laugh that someone would become so vexed over an Internet post that was pretty mild. it reflected more about that person's personality/ego, lack of self control, etc., than anything else. and my ability to bait (oops...:blush:....). this, regrettably, is the currency of the Internet at times.

Anywho...you voiced your disapproval. we all see it. let's press to other things. like having a great holiday with our friends and family! my best to you and I look forward to your future posts. most of us are here because we were unhappy with the alternative....an unlikely crew to bond....but let's give it a try! why..I could even get along with the verbal sniper who is gunning for me in PMs!

point taken. but you knew after reading the OP so why persist?

You have to look at these things in proper perspective. I just recieved a PM from someone who...shall we say...disagreed with the content of a post of mine. The language employed was infantile and violent at the same time. to be frank.....it made me laugh that someone would become so vexed over an Internet post that was pretty mild. it reflected more about that person's personality/ego, lack of self control, etc., than anything else. and my ability to bait (oops...:blush:....). this, regrettably, is the currency of the Internet at times.

Anywho...you voiced your disapproval. we all see it. let's press to other things. like having a great holiday with our friends and family! my best to you and I look forward to your future posts. most of us are here because we were unhappy with the alternative....an unlikely crew to bond....but let's give it a try! why..I could even get along with the verbal sniper who is gunning for me in PMs!

Consider it bait bitten upon, no one's perfect.:anonymous:

Oh and trust me I'm done and it shouldn't be taken too seriously. As you guys get to know me you'll see when I am passionate enough to spout, it's usually a little more "animated" on the net than maybe I actually feel about it. More of a wisecrack than anything. :)

Appreciate the civility guys, even when we vehemently disagree (it happens). Bottom line, ultimately I hope we're all friends here. Besides, fansince and Sarge are buying :)

We all know that Danny has turned the 'skins into a circus. It was a circus even with coaches like Gibbs and Schottenheimer in the building.

Danny is still there. The question is whether the removal of Vinny and his replacement with Allen will allow the new coaches to function. Being an optimist I hope so, but greater than 50% of the problem remains.

damnit..I was hoping it was the socs vs greasers!!

DO this for JOHNNY MAN!! WE GOTTA DO THIS FOR JOHNNY!

LOL

:claps:

Well played, sir!!

As a relative "Outsider" myself, I sympathize with you Sarge, but think your stand against renewing will only cause you more frustration.

Green Bay went through something similar, only it lasted over two decades. Poor coaching, poor leadership from the front office and, most importantly, terrible teams from the mid 70's all the way into the 90's caused considerable fan unrest.

Fans clamored for change and improvement from the team, using the threat of mass ticket boycotts to drive the point home. Well, the ticket waiting line shrunk, but when the team finally did improve, the waiting list grew to unprecedented numbers and the fans who took credit for the change are still on the waiting list to get back in the stadium.

Just sayin'...

Last edited:
Look danny. And learn

Open Letter to Washington Wizards Fans
June 10, 2010

Dear Sarge

Today, as we finalize our purchase of the Washington Wizards, is a day that my partners and I are very excited about. But we also know that this is just a small step in our pursuit of our ultimate goal – to bring an NBA championship to Washington, D.C.
That is a lofty goal and an important one for which to strive. We have prepared for this day, and I hope that you will see in our new company, Monumental Sports & Entertainment, a strategic and unrelenting pursuit of that goal.

We can expect some early “wins” – the NBA Draft on June 24 will be an exciting day for the franchise as we were fortunate enough to win the lottery and we choose first. However, reaching that ultimate goal of a championship requires patience. There is no quick answer, no button any of us can push to produce a winner. I believe, however, that the Wizards’ future is bright, and we enter this endeavor having learned a lot about what it takes to build a championship-caliber team and a team built to last.

It will require a group effort. I consider a sports team a public trust, and we will only reach our goals with the cooperation of our fans, staff, corporate partners and players. We have no better partners than our season-ticket holders. I look forward to getting to know you personally and all of our fans, engaging with them and understanding their concerns. One of the first things we did with the Washington Capitals was to listen intently and then take earnest, meaningful steps to improve the fan experience at our games. With your feedback, we plan to do the same with the Wizards.

I will be open, accessible and honest with our fans – I believe in transparency. This won’t be the last you hear from me, whether it be in the media, on my blog http://www.tedstake.com/ or via email TheWashWiz@aol.com, and you can expect consistent communication from my partners and our staff as well. We are in this together; it promises to be a memorable journey.

Thank you in advance for your support of our efforts. We are humbled by this great opportunity. We hope to make you proud.

Sincerely,

Ted Leonsis

so you fall for lip service from the wizards but not the redskins...

dude, youre just biased and jaded. i get it, you know it. its in the open.

but to act like the wizards organization is better than the skins is just that. a biased and jaded opinion. yes Ted is going to be a great owner but for now he hasnt done anything but write you a letter of things you want to hear.

I could care less about the Wiz. But what we have here is an owner that has proven he can turn a sports team around, and I'm pretty sure he did it by doing the very things he mentioned in that letter.

Asking for patience instead of saying "Look at the big names we've brought in! We're going to the Super Bowl!

Saying there is no "magc button". That things will take time

It's taken the danny 10 years and he's done nothing but take the team down. Maybe he's finally learned. Maybe he hasn't.

I'm just pointing out the differences between someone that has a clue and someone that doesn't

I would also wager that Ted has taken a long look at Danny Boy's failures as to not repeat them. Mike, while there are many things we have fun with, I gotta think you're a little off base here. Business Ethics 101 if you ask me: engage your clients/customers/fans (Communication), let them know up front what you intend (Honesty) and do your utmost to live by those standards (Integrity).

While I do not think the Wizards' organization as whole is any better than the Redskins, both have pretty much mirrored each other's success the last 10 years, I do think Leonsis himself is a far cry above Dan Snyder as the author of a winner. Look what he has done with the Capitals. It is important to be financially successful, but the people of DC want a winner too! Leonsis has proven he can win by building a future, Snyder has not!

Ted has also had the preposterous good luck of being bad enough, at the right time, to be in position to draft the best player in the world in Alex Ovechkin, around whom the Caps are built, and now take control of the Wizards as they are bad enough to yet again be in/win the lottery and probably draft a guy in Wall who will make them competitive almost immediately.

Ted is a nice guy. I like him. I think he's a fine owner. I also think he's been incredibly lucky. He must be, because it seems like the whole Jagr thing has been forgotten now that the #1 overall pick and best player in the world has lifted the Caps franchise around him. Reminds a bit of Belichick's instant Geniushood the moment Tom Brady fell from his skies.

Umm...Om, as I recall the 1st draft of the Snyder era the 2nd and 3rd overall picks in the draft dropped into his lap. ;) Horse shoe style of luck if you ask me, especially since the Redskins weren't bad enough to garner those picks.

yes Ted is going to be a great owner but for now he hasnt done anything but write you a letter of things you want to hear.

Leonsis IS a great owner. The best in DC, IMO. From what I hear, he's planning on building the Wizards the same way he built the Caps, cutting old, dead weight, drafting young talent, and signing said young talent to long contracts.

It was very difficult to be a Caps fan when the team was disassembled. But it needed to be done. Vets at the end of their careers were shipped off for picks, which become the young nucleus of the team we have now.

At this point, the Caps are one of the younger teams in the league, and still won the President's Trophy. They're still on the upswing, and will be for several more years. And the guys at the heart of the team, Ovechkin, Backstrom, Semin, et al, are getting decade-long contracts. The Caps window of opportunity is one of the largest I've ever see in any sport.

I understand that Leonsis hasn't proven anything on the basketball side. He hasn't had time. But if his ownership of the Capitals is any indication of how he'll handle the Wiz, long-suffering DC hoops fans have a lot to be happy about.

eeeh..nevermind.

Im done here. Peace.

With the caveat that I love me some Mike, that's a fairly obvious cop-out. Here's a fair assessment:

Snyder could learn a hell of a lot from a guy like Ted Leonsis. Yeah, luck helps. But well-intentioned and committed owners (to something other than their wallets that is) make their own luck. And making an effort to being open with the fans who are actually ponying up continuously to make your franchise a financial success, well, it matters. Whether you can make a team successful on the court, ice, or field is another issue entirely.

On the other hand, I think it's fair to challenge Sarge in one respect. There are times when I wonder whether Sarge would take more glee in more Snyder failure than he would in seeing him turn things around? I hope I'm wrong on that front, but I can't blame anyone for wondering likewise. That may be an unfair assumption, but it's not unreasonable given the obsessively negative focus on all-things Snyder.

I couldn't agree more with the first part of that post, B. The second, I will simply leave alone. :)

Sarge knows I love him :) That's why I feel free to be honest. And I also acknowledge I could be dead-wrong, and that just like the rest of us, his Redskins-fandom trumps all other things when it comes down to it.

Sarge knows I love him :) That's why I feel free to be honest. And I also acknowledge I could be dead-wrong, and that just like the rest of us, his Redskins-fandom trumps all other things when it comes down to it.

I think Sarge is like you, me, and every other Skins fan on earth; tired of being disappointed. It manifests in different ways for different people, but that's what I see anyway.

I'm sure he took no offense to your analysis. He's a big boy. :)

On the other hand, I think it's fair to challenge Sarge in one respect. There are times when I wonder whether Sarge would take more glee in more Snyder failure than he would in seeing him turn things around? I hope I'm wrong on that front, but I can't blame anyone for wondering likewise. That may be an unfair assumption, but it's not unreasonable given the obsessively negative focus on all-things Snyder.

Obviously I’m not speaking for Sarge, but since I have been accused (if that’s not too strong of a word) of exactly the same thing on my ex-board, here is my take:

I have come to the conclusion that Snyder not only hasn’t learned anything in his 10 years as an owner, but that he is incapable of learning anything. As evidence I submit the following:

1. His discussion of Mike Shanahan with John Lynch in front of both Zorn and an entire Redskins contingent. You can bet that this got back to the assistant coaches and the players, undermining Zorn’s authority.

2. The very public offseason pursuit of Cutler and Sanchez that certainly undermined Campbell ’s leadership position.

3. Stripping the play calling duties from Zorn and the handing of them to a consultant in what virtually everybody in the league believed was a convoluted approach.

4. The banning of signs at FedEx stadium. It didn’t take a genius to see how that decision would go over with fans.

5. And finally the publicly disclosed interviewing of one of Zorn’s assistants for the head coach position during the season when Zorn still held the position.

The above were all actions from the last year and were not instigated by a rookie owner but one with 10 years experience. Regardless of what you think of Zorn and Campbell, the actions related to them undercut their authority, along with Snyder bypassing the chain of command, and that is not conducive to the concept of team.

From that perspective, I view the hiring of Allen and Shanahan not as some light turning on in his head, but simply more Snyder flaying about that is really not that much different than the hiring of Shotty and Gibbs. Maybe it will work out and maybe it won’t, but remember, Shanahan was 24-24 his last three years in Denver, the ultimate in NFL mediocrity. If the Shanahan experiment doesn’t work, we are still left with Snyder.

So while I will never root for the Redskins to lose, if we are going to lose anyway, there is certainly some pleasure to be taken in knowing that the ultimate cause for us losing is also suffering and that if it goes on long enough, maybe he will eventually get tired of it and sell the team. In some ways, it is like losing a meaningless late season game. I would never root for the Skins to lose but would take some solace from the improved draft position.

But If somehow Snyder lucks into a Superbowl winning team, I would head to the sports bar restroom before the Lombardi ceremony so I wouldn’t be left with the sour taste in my mouth of watching Snyder accept it.

Hog - saying that he is the best owner in DC isnt really saying much. Lets be real here..but he hasnt done a damn thing yet but tell you what he wants to do.
But don't you see that he's already proven himself in DC as Caps owner? He already has huge credibility in DC. There's every reason to believe he'll apply the same principles, outlined in the letter, that he's done for the Caps, and since they worked well there, are likely to work for the Wizards.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.