• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

WPC: Portis to the haters: “I’ve got something for y’all”

Pappas

http://web.warpathconfidential.com/?p=3338

Portis to the haters: “I’ve got something for y’all”

By John Pappas
Warpath Confidential Editor

There is a lot of change these days at Redskins Park. New front office. New coaching staff. New quarterback. There is new paint on the walls, and new players in the locker room.

And then there is the change to Clinton Portis.

Gone is the brash, flippant, prima donna who spent as much time as the press watching practice. No more is the star running back likely to say anything because he has the ear of the owner.

In his place is a committed veteran, one who is more low key and guarded with the media, but working as hard as anyone in the weight room and on the field to prove he is still the best back on the team.

Click the link above to read the rest of the article...

Sounds good to me. He looked to have lost a step to me last year, hopefully that due to some nagging injuries and/or conditioning. If his is actually going to be in game shape from week 1 on, this season will answer how much he has left in the tank.

We'll see. At a minimum I was only hoping for a closed mouth. Anything else from him is a bonus

One of the most important factors in coaching, even more than just X’s and O’s, is being able to find the right way to motivate your players to play up to or beyond what they are capable. Some guys need a pat, others need a push.

Having a Super Bowl ring (or two) carries some serious weight with players, even those who have big heads. An in shape and motivated Portis could be very bad news for opposing defenses.

i really wish players (portis in particular) would just shut up and PROVE it on the field. the simple fact that he feels in necessary to go the "woe is me...im gonna show you" route kinda gives me the feeling that he cant do it when it counts.

i hope he proves me wrong...but i doubt he will.

Even if cant do it, I see a couple of more people in the backfield that will remind him that he can be the 3rd option before he knows it. :)

Assuming those two still have it. I think Johnson does but I have serious doubts about Parker still having it.

Assuming those two still have it. I think Johnson does but I have serious doubts about Parker still having it.

Yeah, I thought the Parker signing was a little curious too. Still, you never know. Some guys are at their most dangerous when they've been written off. Not always….but we can hope can't we?

I have a feeling we'll keep two of the old RB crew and lose one in camp. I'd be shocked if we didn't have at least one rookie on the roster at RB to start the season.

Shanahan this time around picked up players with chips on their shoulders, cast-offs or guys with something to prove. This should work well this season and my gut is telling me he will get just enough out of this roster to get some more young guys in here to establish a nucleus of players to keep the team going in the right direction.

IF they can keep a full complement of picks next season of course.

edit: I see we are looking at the same thing Hog. Hell you can look at Shanahan, he is in the same boat as these guys, he has a big ol chip on his shoulder as well.

And when you got the HC along with players with the same mindset, you come out angry, and hungry to prove people wrong.

IF they can keep a full complement of picks next season of course.

Already screwed the pooch on that one with the McNabb trade where we are on the hook for a 3rd or 4th (and yeah, I think it was bad to add in a pick for next year when we were already offering the highest pick in this years draft). After seeing the terms I can't see it being less than the 3rd.

"I always put this organization on my back and went out and gave everything I had."

This quote from Portis makes me think he doesn't get it. We all know he worked hard, but carry the organization on his back? Mugsy is right, just shut up and play!

As Foghorn Leghorn would say, "Ah say, ah say......ya got to show me son".

As Foghorn Leghorn would say, "Ah say, ah say......ya got to show me son".

Bingo !

Saying Shanny is proven, and gets the most out of his players, and you buy into what he says means jack to me. Gibbs wasn't proven ? Not many were better at getting the most out of players, many of whom were cast off's nobody else wanted.

Portis knows he's on a short leash, and is saying and doing all the right things right now. He knows he's a heart beat away from being tossed, and dam well better dot the I's and cross the T's, keep his mouth shut, and say pretty please.

I'm thrilled he's in better condition, and hope it works out.

I thought the exact opposite, actually. Parker is more likely to make an impact than Johnson, IMO. LJ looked pretty done after last season, but that's just my opinion. Haven't really seen Parker play in awhile, but he had a recurring ankle injury if I recall correctly...

Once again, it's all about Clinton Portis and not the team. He doesn't want to win, he wants to prove the "haters" wrong.

Yeah, I thought the Parker signing was a little curious too. Still, you never know. Some guys are at their most dangerous when they've been written off. Not always….but we can hope can't we?

I have a feeling we'll keep two of the old RB crew and lose one in camp. I'd be shocked if we didn't have at least one rookie on the roster at RB to start the season.
**cough** **cough** Shaun Alexander **cough** **cough** :)

Agree with you HF, and the above isn't apples to apples--Shaun was much further gone than either Larry Johnson or Willie Parker--but I don't see a 1500 yard season in front of any of these guys.

i'm all for Portis if he is healthy....but over the last 3 years he seemed to get banged up a lot....he may comeback with another pro bowl year ...that's what I'm hoping anyway...I honestly don't think Johnson will out play him or Parker as long as he's healthy....and I agree we still need a Rookie on the team FRESH LEGS...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.