• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins Insider: Kyle Shanahan says he's excited about Redskins' offensive line

BGO

If you've grown tired of hearing the Redskins' offensive line maligned and criticized, then Kyle Shanahan's minicamp thoughts will come as a breath of fresh air. If you think, however, that the Redskins' offensive line is a problem area, you may read this and scratch your head. In his first organized meeting with reporters Sunday, the team's new offensive coordinator said, "I'm real excited about our offensive line," noting that he was pleased with its collective performance during the team's three-day camp. While many around the league expect the Redskins to draft a left tackle with the fourth overall pick of this week's draft, Shanahan said he has confidence in the tackles on the roster and thinks the Redskins have a competitive group already. Certainly, the Redskins wouldn't mind an upgrade at just about any position, but it'd seem the tackle positions are areas especially ripe for improvement. During the

seg

More...

I can't help but think that there is a lot of draft gamesmanship behind these comments from K Shanahan.

I just want to express tremendous concern if this is not a draft day trade smoke and mirrors ploy. I am not a great football mind, but even I can see our offensive line was horrendous last year. Was that because the play calling was so putrid the line didn't know where to go half the time? Was it a matter of what the inept coaching staff was asking them to do? I'm not buying it. The line sucked! And if our Head Coach in the making can't see that, well...

Well, what else would he say? I can't imagine the new offensive coordinator saying that his offensive line sucks!

I do think the Skins are actually ok at Guard. Dockery, Lichtensteiger, Hicks, Rinehart, and Fanaiki. But dang we are hurting at Tackle.

"I'm real excited about our offensive line"

Translation: "I sure glad contact is not allowed during OTA's."

I happen to think there are some short term fixes out there with cuts this summer. I would not be surprised if we picked Berry at 4.

No way they take Berry. It'll be OT, QB, or trade down. I don't think they're going to pick a QB that early, but they are hinting at that to make teams who DO want a QB want to trade up with us even more.

RE: the OLine - honestly I have been thinking about it, and we may not be terrible at OL. In the zone-blocking scheme you don't need massive maulers. Also, with McNabb we'll be rolling him out a lot more I'm sure. And we'll have a QB capable of making quick decisions, unlike Jason "hold the ball for 20 years while I try to read the field" Campbell.

EDIT: That being said, we're going to be in bad shape if we don't upgrade.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it will be Okung. The only other option is if Shanny thinks we trade down but still land Anthony Davis who has been dropping down draft boards then I think he will consider it. The only way we take Berry is if we have traded Haynesworth for a 2nd then maybe we look at the possibility of a OT in Round 2. That scenario is also very doubtful. I, for the most part, agree with MikeSR619 that we walk up with a card that says Okung on it at pick #4.

He can be excited about the prospects for the overall OL without necessarily being high on every current player. Maybe they think that they don't need as many replacement parts as we think.

"Everyone thinks you want them small and quick," Kyle Shanahan said. "Well, we want them fast. They've got to be able to run. We'd love a big guy, too. Not all big guys can run. If you can get a big guy who can run, then you've got Pro Bowl type players. It's just hard to find those guys."

That says to me that he thinks we don't have any of those types of guys. No Pro Bowlers on the roster.

He’s saying the right things. A lot of factors figure into the equation when an offense fails. Sure, there were times when our front five were getting beat like a drum, but that’s going to happen to any team from time to time.

I think the two biggest factors that hurt last season were (as others have already said) Campbell holding on to the ball a little too long and the play calling. We were very predictable last year, with the exception of special teams plays.

The Campbell thing could be attributed to the WR’s, bad line play, slow reads or the lack of a consistent running game. Honestly without watching the coaches’ film and understanding what plays were called it’s impossible to tell for sure who was at fault and to what extent. We’ve all taken our turn at guessing, but the film never lies.

I think the combination of McNabb behind center, a new approach to play calling and a re-dedication to the running game is going to ease the pressure on the O-line quite a bit. Don’t get me wrong, we still need an influx of youth and talent but I expect them to look a lot better this year regardless of what round we take our new LT in.

How did he say that in public with a straight face?

Lots and lots of practice. ;)

I think it's just about not giving anything away at this point. He'll make points with the guys already there by saying that and, at the same time, he doesn't give any inclination that we're definitely taking a LT #4.

Please.....I'm getting so tired of hearing that. The WR's will be just fine this season with a QB who knows how to throw accurately and on time.

HTTR

Oh I definitely agree with you. I just had to cover all the possible bases.

I think if the coaches tape had shown that Campbell was a victim of the players around him as much as some would believe we wouldn't have made the trade to get McNabb, simple as that.

The Campbell thing could be attributed to the WR’s, bad line play, slow reads or the lack of a consistent running game. Honestly without watching the coaches’ film and understanding what plays were called it’s impossible to tell for sure who was at fault and to what extent. We’ve all taken our turn at guessing, but the film never lies.

Someone did (Jaws I think) examine game film, and said that Zorn's plays would have worked with a different QB.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.