• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Matt Jones

brandies

The 1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Inmate brought up the possibility of signing this guy. I always listened to inmate.

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/07/20/troubled-talented-receiver-worth-risk/

Matt Jones will be the first one to tell you that Jacksonville had every justification for releasing him in March. He was suspended last season after a cocaine possession arrest. He went to jail for a week when he violated probation. He engaged in a weird war of words with Joey Porter.

Add the mounting off-field issues to Jones' occasional on-field laziness, and the Jags really had no choice but to show him the door. It's not surprising that Jones has struggled to find a new home since then. Teams are understandably reluctant to bring in a receiver with red flags on his resume like "Drug Use" and "Attitude Problems."

But here's what those worrisome tidbits are hiding: whichever NFL team finally takes a chance on Jones will be locking in a guy capable of putting up 1,000-plus yards and 10 touchdowns -- this season.

It's easy enough for a guy like Jones to say he's ready to make amends for past mistakes, yet entirely different to go out and do it. Jones has spent the months since his brief prison stay trying to make his words ring true.

According to a recent article by Michael C. Wright of the Florida Times-Union, Jones has spent nearly $15,000 of his own money to train this summer at IMG Academies in Bradenton, Fla. -- going through an extensive daily routine of physical and mental exercises. In addition to that, he's done community service of his own accord, going beyond what was required in the sentence that followed his probation misstep. He also recently completed a drug treatment program successfully.
CLICK LINK FOR REST OF ARTICLE

For a first round pick he has been a bust. He is a #3 reciever on most teams. He is all height. If he has dedicated himself to his craft and has stayed drug free somebody will take a flyer on him. He would be considered minimal risk since he wouldn't demand any money.

Our team also has 2 young WR's who need to be groomed as replacements to Moss and El. I hope they can produce like them...I know I know :insane::behead: but I can dream for the best!

I luv the smilies...

I thought he had some promise coming out of college when they converted him to WR but to this point he's been a big tease production wise. Needless to say he never fully dedicated himself to football and it showed. You hate to see potential wasted like this but it's not a new story in the NFL. Maybe he turns it around.

As for the Skins, I'd pass for the reasons LoD mentioned. He'll find work somewhere though.

I hope he gets himself right...

someplace else.

Seems like he'd be a perfect fit in Dallas. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.