• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

SB: Skinz v Phinz (tonight at 8pm)

I saw some of that and started rattling of some of the players names as I saw their numbers on the field. My son looked at me like I was crazy.

That Garo Yepremian play, what a shebacle. :)

I actually have a VHS of this game ... video quality's average (of course, these are the days of 1080p), but it conveys just fine. Three things always strike me when I watch it:

1) the pace of the game was much faster. Players got in and out of the huddle, the refs kept it moving, there seemed to be half as many artificial stops.

2) unlike today, the announcers didn't seem to feel it necessary to explain every detail of what you could see happening for yourself on screen, or convince you that what you were watching was, in fact, A Very Important Thing.

3) The game has changed.

LT Terry Hermeling
Height: 6-5 Weight: 255

LG Paul Laaveg
Height: 6-4 Weight: 245

C Len Hauss
Height: 6-2 Weight: 235

RG John Wilbur
Height: 6-3 Weight: 251

RT Walt Rock

3) The game has changed.

LT Terry Hermeling

LG Paul Laaveg
Height: 6-4 Weight: 245

C Len Hauss
Height: 6-2 Weight: 235

RG John Wilbur
Height: 6-3 Weight: 251

RT Walt Rock

Those are linebackers in todays game. Didn't realize linemen were that small back then.

I used to have a poster of Terry Hermeling when I was a kid.

I'm not too old to remember when Rosey Grier was credited with breaking the 300 lb. barrier in the NFL. At least I think I remember it that way. I'm old now and easily confused.

Here's the Fearsome Foursome he helped make famous.

fff.jpg

Allen's conservative playcalling (a little play-action goes a long way, George!), Kilmer hitting the goal post on a would-be TD pass to Jerry Smith. Charley Taylor getting tripped. I don't care if Miami was undefeated. There's no way in hell you can convince me the Skins weren't a better team that year.

I'm not too old to remember when Rosey Grier was credited with breaking the 300 lb. barrier in the NFL. At least I think I remember it that way. I'm old now and easily confused.

Here's the Fearsome Foursome he helped make famous.

fff.jpg

As a kid in the latter part of the 60's, besides the Skins, I LOVED watching the Rams, Packers and Colts play. They were the best in the NFL at the time and when they played each other, watch out.

I can remember watching the Skins and Rams play each other in 1967. I was sure the Skins would lose but Sonny Jurgensen, completing only 18 of 41 passes, threw for 334 yards and 4 TD's, 3 to Jerry Smith, and the Rams actually had to come from behind to tie the Skins 28-28. If I remember correctly, Sam Huff picked off a Roman Gabriel pass, as the Rams were driving deep into Skins territory, to prevent a score. I remember my Dad saying after the game, "If only we had a Defense". I remember Paul Krause and Brig Owens were the safeties, Rickie Harris at CB and Sam Huff and Chris Hanburger were two of the three Linebackers but I can't remember anyone on the D-Line that year. That's how bad they were. :(

1967 was just 3 years ahead of my time ... the Redskins became part of my universe in 1970 when we moved to the area from Massachussetts. I remember the vibe of those epic old-school NFL teams, though. The Bud Grant Vikings and Roman Gabriel Rams were my first favorites.

Got curious about the 1967 Redskins DL, though ...

http://www.jt-sw.com/football/pro/rosters.nsf/Annual/1967-was

DT/DE Walt Barnes
DE Bill Briggs
DE/LB Carl Kammerer
DT/DE Spain Musgrove (awesome name)
DT Jim Prestel
DT Joe Rutgens
DE/DT Ron Snidow
LB/DE Sid Williams

Ouch. :paranoid:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.