• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins Insider: Haynesworth may want to get out, but will he pay back money to do s

BGO

Speculation has increased in the past few days that Albert Haynesworth might be willing to pay back part of the recent $21 million bonus he received in an effort to help facilitate his exit from Washington, which two people in the organization said he would welcome because of Coach Mike Shanahan's plans to use him as a nose tackle in the team's new 3-4 scheme. After about 15 years covering major beats, I've learned never to say never, because anything can happen with the size of the egos and money involved in professional sports. But I do not envision Haynesworth repaying any money to the Redskins, who are as eager to send him elsewhere as he is to leave, the sources said.

seg

More...

First Lavar, now Haynesworth. Has there ever been a team that more players would PAY to leave? Kind of depressing.

Why do we always end up with whiney little bitches that can shut the **** up and be happy they got umpteen millions to play a friggin game

Sheeesh

I have no idea how that would be tax efficient for anyone--would make more sense to cancel the contract and pay a penalty than to repay salary on which withholding had already been taken.

It is kind of sickening, isn't it?
Is that what's sickening or is it that there's many paid journalists to cover this kind of story because there are thousands of people (or perhaps tens or hundreds of thousands) that pay to consume a product that people will pay millions of dollars to avoid? :)

Why do we always end up with whiney little bitches that can shut the **** up and be happy they got umpteen millions to play a friggin game

Sheeesh

Wealth+Ego Massively stroked by fans=Sense of Entitlement and Personal Privilege

Sheeesh

It is no different for any other NFL team going through these sort of changes. Every player has a preference and they all want to play where they think they are best. Many put a good face on it publicly (Carter and Campbell both come to mind at the moment) but I don't think they like it, regardless of what they say. There are always a few who don't even do that and every team has them, not just the Skins.

It is no different for any other NFL team going through these sort of changes. Every player has a preference and they all want to play where they think they are best. Many put a good face on it publicly (Carter and Campbell both come to mind at the moment) but I don't think they like it, regardless of what they say. There are always a few who don't even do that and every team has them, not just the Skins.

There's an old saying in the military. "You don't have to like it, you just have to do it"

Snyder is such a douchebag towards the common underlings that staff Redskins Park and such, I don't understand why he wouldn't be a douche towards a player, especially after cutting him a 20 million dollar check

Is that what's sickening or is it that there's many paid journalists to cover this kind of story because there are thousands of people (or perhaps tens or hundreds of thousands) that pay to consume a product that people will pay millions of dollars to avoid? :)

Ummm... yes?

:)

It's an interesting question to be sure. On the one hand, the athlete's pay scale situation is ridiculously out of hand. On the other hand, if we cut their pay down to something more "reasonable", there's a lot of money left that the owners get to pocket, for a product they are overcharging us for.

Catch 22, right? Doesn't seem right either way...

Ummm... yes?

:)

It's an interesting question to be sure. On the one hand, the athlete's pay scale situation is ridiculously out of hand. On the other hand, if we cut their pay down to something more "reasonable", there's a lot of money left that the owners get to pocket, for a product they are overcharging us for.

Catch 22, right? Doesn't seem right either way...
That's the b!tch of the free market in some ways--people set their willingness to pay, and owners charge as much as they can in finding out where they max out peoples' willingess to pay.

We could always revolt and demand 1/2 price ($5!!!) beers or reasonably priced seats, but I think we'd lose to the next guy who's ready to spend that much.

Kinda crazy, for sure! :)

That's the b!tch of the free market in some ways--people set their willingness to pay, and owners charge as much as they can in finding out where they max out peoples' willingess to pay.

We could always revolt and demand 1/2 price ($5!!!) beers or reasonably priced seats, but I think we'd lose to the next guy who's ready to spend that much.

Kinda crazy, for sure! :)

That would put beers at $10, right (English major here, math not great)? Seems a little low from what I remember, though it's been a while. :)

It's funny, with HDTVs now, there really isn't any reason other than tailgating to go to an NFL game anymore, imo. Last game I went to was three years ago or so, and I remember thinking I would have had just as much fun, if not more, staying at home where I would not have been crammed into a small seat with drunk, obnoxious people all around me.

And I definitely would not bring a child anymore.

I'm afraid I've been priced-, and disgusted-out of tickets. :)

That would put beers at $10, right (English major here, math not great)? Seems a little low from what I remember, though it's been a while. :)
$10 was, I think, prices at the last game I went to which was, I think, the 2005 season(?!)--so wow, I guess beers could be up to like $15? maybe. Sheesh!

I definitely enjoy a bit of tailgating, but in many ways, I prefer not having to deal with 3+ hours of traffic to the Meadowlands (or more if I'm going to FedEx) plus the enormous expense. And I like watching football on TV, so I'm right there with you.

The games that I went to in 2005 were full of complete jack-hole drunks. A far, far cry from the days at RFK or even what it's like in the lower bowl at Giants Stadium (or was, really--haven't been to the new stadium yet).
I'm afraid I've been priced-, and disgusted-out of tickets. :)
I'm right there with you brother. I'm right there. :)

If he pays some of that money back to us, does that mean that his salary demands elsewhere will go up commensurate to that returned amount and thus make him more unsignable? Does he get veto power over where he's traded, ala McNabb?

I guess we'll see how bad he wants out. He really doesn't have a lot of leverage unless he refuses to play, but by the same token, Shanahan's hardass 'my way or the highway' routine doesn't seem to be very productive in the multi-millionaire era (unless he can turn Haynesworth into Champ Bailey).

It seems to me that somebody needs to step in, find a way to calm down both sides and give them both a face saving way out, and allow us to move on with Haynesworth in the fold and Shanahan still having his appearance of total control. Haslett, maybe.

Ahh, wise words from brother Terry. Clearly, we either need to find a way to assuage Haynesworth, make him feel positive about his coming role as a key Redskin (while still maintain a fair and disciplined approach), or we need to find a way to move him.

Do we actually know that they want him to play nose tackle? There has been a lot of speculation about this but I don’t recall a definitive statement from Shanny or Haslett saying they envision him in that role and the signing of Kemoeatu would seem to indicate that they don’t either.

I may be naïve about the 3-4 but it would seem to me that Haynesworth would make a dandy end in a 3-4 especially if the NT can command double teams. Besides both Haslett and Shanny have indicated that they want a more aggressive defense which would seem to fit into Albert’s strengths.

It may be that Haynesworth is simply one of those people that always seems unhappy about something and we might have to simply live with the drama associated with him because of what he does when he is on the field.

Last edited:
I've wondered the same thing, Alaskan. Besides, Shanny is on record that he wants to scheme around the skills that the players have. A bunch of mediots want to stir the pot and are assuming that AH wouldn't be any good in a traditional 3-4 (which may or may not be true), but who says we'll be running a traditional 3-4 anyway?

My understanding was that Haynesworth was going to play DE in the 3-4 and DT when we moved to the 4-3 base.

I also had heard that Haynesworth would play some nose in situations but that the coached were working with him to find ways to use him to play toward his style.

And then again there's the recent statement by Adam Schefter-being quoted everywhere from an unnamed "source"-that Haynesworth is expected to be the starting nose tackle. Of course the analysts have homed in on the phrase "nose tackle" and inferred from that an element of pressure being put on Big Al. It will be interesting to see how true that statement might be and how this all may play out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.